How do you edit hex for games to be in Widescreen?

endgame22

How do you edit hex for games to be in Widescreen?

Post by endgame22 »

Hello, I want to softmod my Xbox so I can display some of my games in proper widescreen. I've found helpful tutorial videos here on how to softmod, but absolutely nothing on how to actually edit hex for my Xbox games. I don't want to softmod until I am certain that this is something that I can do.

I know it has something to do with changing default.xbe file for games and changing values, but where do you find those files? When you find the files andd edit them in something like HxD do you have to copy and save the original codes somewhere safe if you want to revert it back? Can you use physical game disc or does it have to be emulated? Is there a step by step guide to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
WaNaB

Re: How do you edit hex for games to be in Widescreen?

Post by WaNaB »

Sorry I am of no help in the area...please post if you find a solution..I would be interested in the answer too :)
mwaterbu

Post by mwaterbu »

endgame22

Post by endgame22 »

I have checked this thread before. I still don't understand if you need to find the values for each game in the one .xbe file or in the game files and if so how, can a physical game be used?
mwaterbu

Post by mwaterbu »

You can't use a physical disk because a disk is read only. You would need to rip the disk and modify it's contents to do this. HxD is a good option for hex editing, it's also a good idea to make backups as you have said. Unfortunately, there is not a good way to find the codes unless you are proficient at decompiling and know x86 assembly. However, the thread I linked to has some good ways to get codes that other people have already found.
endgame22

Post by endgame22 »

I see. So after you alter code do you put in the physical disc to play the game or install and run the altered file on the modded Xbox?
mwaterbu

Post by mwaterbu »

You need the game installed on a hard disk to do this. Alternatively, you could re-burn the modified game onto a new disk, although unless you do it in a specific manner, the files may not be written in the most efficient order and the game could load slowly