Convert MKV to XViD-HD (BRRIP) for XBMC, PS3OS, Wii, etc ...

BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Convert MKV to XViD-HD (BRRIP) for XBMC, PS3OS, Wii, etc

Post by BuZz »

sixties keith wrote:haha cheers buzz as i say i use it on windows all the time and haven't looked back. for a while i thought it was just for mkv but recently Ive done hd mp4 etc and all is good.

Think he already has ffmpeg installed so ill give him the code and tell him, to have a go.

one thing i forgot to mention is on windows i enter cd 'my documents' and then dir before i enter the code is any of that needed on linux or is the code above all that is required?

thanks again buzz
worth noting that debian/ubuntu does not ship with ffmpeg - but the libav fork - which I have not tested with the above. I tend to avoid the libav fork. If running ubuntu there is a ppa with ffmpeg I believe.
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

cheers for the info mate i'll pass that onto him and hopefully he knows what im talking about lol

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

ppa are basically third party repos. this will basically just include the repo in aptitude - the package manager for Ubuntu :)

back in the day i compiled ffmpeg into php and had to learn a lot about Linux fast.

Keith, try it! Linux that is
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

@ fxmech - when buzz first mentioned it im not gona lie there was some head scratching going on but i found what he was talking about on the ffmpeg website.

been meaning to tinker around with linux for years ever after trying various xdsl, xdebian and now the great ducktaped xdsl xphazer did.

120gb hdd, vinyl magma skin, front lights, side strip lights, clear jewel mod with lights, ir dongle mod, hdd indicator. X3 with LCD many mods inc custom x3 jewel.
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

need more help for my linux user, still cant get this working for him ive got him to try it several times but still no joy.

all he gets is no such file or directory, is there something im missing on this linux system? im used to windows (and use this on windows great) maybe its the placement of the media, where exactly have it to go so that ffmpeg picks it up,

i didnt want to post alot of stuff here but this is what the fella is getting,

desktop:~$ ffmpeg -i 42_2013.mp4 -scodec copy -acodec copy -vcodec mpeg4 -b:v 3000k -maxrate 5000k -bufsize 4096k -s 1280x720 -f matroska -y 42_2013converted.mkv
ffmpeg version git-2015-03-18-ee64890 Copyright (c) 2000-2015 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 4.8 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1)
configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-librtmp --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-nonfree --enable-version3
libavutil 54. 20.100 / 54. 20.100
libavcodec 56. 28.100 / 56. 28.100
libavformat 56. 26.101 / 56. 26.101
libavdevice 56. 4.100 / 56. 4.100
libavfilter 5. 13.100 / 5. 13.100
libswscale 3. 1.101 / 3. 1.101
libswresample 1. 1.100 / 1. 1.100
libpostproc 53. 3.100 / 53. 3.100
42_2013.mp4: No such file or directory

sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

he also said hes using lubumtu 14.04 if that helps? drawing a blank myself (im a windows user 8-) )

updawg

Post by updawg »

So I just finished reading the initial guide and will be attempting this next week when I receive my modded Xbox from Trusty.

With that said does anyone have any experience with a 1.4GHZ /128 MB xbox? Were you able to increase the bit rate/resolution?
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

Great. :-)

Have a search of N64 freak's posts - he tried it out a year or so back ...with disappointing results :-(.

***EDIT***
Here, read this thread through...especially the second page onwards:
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =13&t=1978
sixties keith

Post by sixties keith »

@buzz

ok got this working now so just got 1 more question. i use this code to convert all my media (hd or not) and from mp4 and mkv etc

I was wondering if there's a different code i could use to convert think back to sd or into a non hd file. alot of the stuff i download is mp4 but not exactly hd and also it would keep the generated file size down

thanks

tommy622222

Re: Convert MKV to XViD-HD (BRRIP) for XBMC, PS3OS, Wii, etc ...

Post by tommy622222 »

Hey guys,

I can confirm this guide still works terrifically in 2019, just some extra findings if someone is mad enough to still try this method instead of Kodi:

I had some issues with buffering even after changing the caching on highly animated parts of Game of Thrones. To remedy this I had the 1.4Ghz cpu and 124MB ram upgrade done by trusty.

After this I still had struggles.
The buffering issues I had were gone (yay), and the videos would have consistent frame rates (double yay) but then semi "skips" were occurring every 2 seconds when going full speed, as well as some syncing issues with sound.
When the CPU was at half speed however the videos no longer had skips and syncing issues, but of course struggled to maintain consistent frame rates.

After a bit of playing around with hard drives, video conversions, different versions of XBMC and different settings on the xbox the resolution was pretty simple haha!

To get optimal 'Full speed' 1.4ghz support on your videos, i'd recommend making sure you've turned OFF 1080i on your xbox as it just can't support it with the mod.
I also did the video patcher Trusty had emailed me more intended for games, however this did not contribute to a resolution (But still an extremely useful tool)

I don't know why but i'm guessing the Xbox just isn't capable of being able to support a full 1080i resolution without the jumps, and with my surround sound system it also had handshaking issues when this setting was turned on. :mrgreen:

Thank you again for your wonderful research on this conversion method, it's amazing to still be able to use my xbox for videos rather than just gathering dust! :)

Tom