Need Help with 2TB HDD upgrade - F and G drive

GTRetro87

Need Help with 2TB HDD upgrade - F and G drive

Post by GTRetro87 »

Hey all,

So I believe I'm almost good to go with my xbox (being years late already since I should have started this project but anyway...). I've tampered with it and what not and I still can't partition drives F and G correctly..

Here's what I've got:

Xbox v1.5
Xecuter 2.6 CE
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
currently using Startech IDE to SATA adapter, but I also have a Kingwin (Startech I think is 1 GB transfer speed compared to Kingwin's 3 GB)
80 wire Ultra IDE cable - 36 inches long

Everything boots up just fine. I've cloned the HDD first with Chimp and it worked well.. however, I've found some tips to follow by using the Slayers 2.7 disc (which is how I modded my xbox in the first place). Here's where I've found it: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =13&t=2907

I also followed this: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... f=14&t=649

The BIOS I've currently flashed is EvoX M8 .67 (supposed to be for F and G drives, right?).. And here's the steps I've recently taken

1) Insert Slayers 2.7 - Select New Build for Upgraded HDD
2) Ive tried both of these --> Select Install XBMC and Apps on E drive, and EvoX on C -- Install XBMC and apps on Retail HDD (E drive)
3) then, Make XBMC the primary dash on Retail HDD

4) Open up XbPartitioner 1.3 - make both drives 927 GB in 64k Clusters... I've tried straight up making them 927 and formatting, and I've also tried making them 927 GB, reducing the size by 2 GB and then formatting - then re-boot the xbox and xbpartitioner to up the drives size by 1GB each - TWICE to add back up to 927 GB

Mind you, 927.78 GB is what I worked up to like in the guides.

Here's my problem.. after doing the partition formatting.. I would go to check "My Files" in XMBC to see the size of F and G drives. F drive shows 949 GB, and G shows plain zero.. I've tried this multiple times and ended up with the same results..

Here's the funny thing.. After building the new HDD in slayers and going through that whole process.. BEFORE XbPartitioner.. The drive sizes on the top right corner of Slayers would show a total of 995 GB in both F and G drives..

So what am I missing?? XbPartitioner is not giving me any LBA48 hack error upon load up..

My next step is to re-build the new HDD in slayers and go through all that stuff.. then I will check XBMC to see if both drives show free memory. If it doesn't maybe my XMBC is out of date. If after rebuilding and everything in Slayers shows the F and G drives as 995 GB each.. maybe it's fine??

Does it HAVE to be 927.78 GB each?? Also, what about my BIOS?? and yes I've tried flashing IND 5004 beta with Gentoox but for some reason the flash doesn't fully go through.. I may have to extract Slayers, add the newer BIOS to is and create another CD, as I have already to automatically install XBpartitioner 1.3

Any advice or tips is greatly appreciated!!
GTRetro87

Re: Need Help with 2TB HDD upgrade - F and G drive

Post by GTRetro87 »

to be more specific about my HDD, its model# is ST2000DM001 - which has been confirmed as a working HDD
GTRetro87

Post by GTRetro87 »

I think I found my problem with G not showing up.

According to xman, "Sometime G is there but has no size listed in filemanager in which case you just create a folder like movies or something in it and then it shows up. I have just created a folder called "A" before just to get G drive to mount correctly. It is only needed once and can be deleted afterwards. It will be erased when you recluster G drive anyway."

Maybe I should, in Slayers, Build the HDD - install xbmc and apps in E (and EvoX in C ?) - then XBMC as dash in retail.. THEN create a folder in G drive, and afterwards format in XbPartitioner.. maybe this will make G available in XBMC??
GTRetro87

Post by GTRetro87 »

My copied post from the 2TB HDD Upgrade Tutorial Thread:

So ..

Here's where I'm at now..

G drive shows nothing in XBMC, and when I FTP into it, only a few drives show and G is missing. However, with the slayers disc in, both F and G show as 995 GB available - AND G is available when I FTP into the Xbox when slayers running.

So this is what I did..

1) I created a folder (called in "A" like xman) and I just copied a random file already in the HDD that is 1.8k in size

2) Then I copied that file into the "A" folder. (I actually put the same folder and file in F drive as well, just to see what would happen)..

3) NOW, after rebooting back into XBMC, I checked my files and the G drive now shows - and both F and G are at 949 GB.

4) I booted up XBPartitioner 1.3 and both partition sizes were at the same (927.78 GB).. so i figured to reduce each drive by 1 GB.. format it, and rebooted the entire xbox - THEN i went back into XBP and UP'ed both drives BACK to 927.78

(I had tried to reformat the partitions in XBP before reducing the size of each partition.. but it made no difference in XBMC, G was still there - so that told me if you don't format with a different partition size than the last time you formatted, no change will happen at all).

5) so after reformatting back to 927.78.. I rebooted and back into XBMC.. G drive went missing - which told me that both folders in F and G were erased, yet G is still unrecognizable by XBMC (or the version slayers 2.7 provides - which yes, I have to update to the new XBMC) - In addition, by FTP'ing into XBMC at this point, G is also unrecognizable (again)

6) after this, I popped in Slayers 2.7 disc.. F and G show 995 GB (surprisingly..?).. then I FTP'd into the xbox.. G drive shows.. copied same folder and 1.8K file to G..... and now XBMC shows the G drive.. but both F and G are at 949 GB of available memory instead of 927 GB like in XBPartitioner

Also, now that a file is in G drive, I can now see the G drive via FTP when XBMC is running (main dash anyway). As said before, without a file in the drive, I was unable to see G drive in XBMC via FTP

So now that I'm at this point, I guess I've (hopefully) established a successful 2TB mod?

If anybody has any input, please feel free to add (of course)
xman

Post by xman »

The reason you only need to add something in G and not F is because Slayers already puts folders into F drive but not in G drive. While f sits there in XBMC filemanger and has the size written there in GBs, G does not and it also has no size written so the work around is click on G drive in XBMC's filemanager, hit the white button on your controller, go down to create new folder and do so. I always figured the drive is there but has no directory entries to it and doing this created one and therefore now the machine can see it and now knows the size of it.
GTRetro87

Post by GTRetro87 »

Ahhh now I see why. Thank you for your response!

Well at least the file is there and G is recognizable. What about the part where I format the drives in XBPart to 927.78 GB but in XBMC shows 949 GB and slayers 995 GB? Is it supposed to be this way?