80mm Silent Fan Mod

shady7

Re: 80mm Silent Fan Mod

Post by shady7 »

Thanks guys for yor replys will try my best will report back to you with how it went. Cheers ;)
murt100

Post by murt100 »

I am just after dusting off my old Xbox which had been softmodded with XBMC on it a while back.

When I hooked it up to my TV however, the fan noise was very evident.

So following the instructions in this thread, I bought an 80mm Xilence fan, did a spot of cutting and trimming, stuck the fan in and hey presto! almost a completely silent Xbox 8-)

I did need to shave a few mm off the black peg at the rear closest to the fan on the LHS to make it fit.

Well done on a very useful mod, there's plenty of life in the old dog yet.
shady7

Post by shady7 »

Hi Everyone finished my fan mod thanks to whufclee' guide. It went pretty well took peoples advice slow and steady, one of the hardest things I found was getting the rf sheilding out also had to de-solder a wire from reset button to duox2 chip. Cut filed fitted and filed some more, put it all back together. Connected it back up, just about cant even hear the fan going huge improvement over the old one thanks whufclee and others. I do have one question what fan speed do you guys use I played some higher cpu intensive movies to figure out fan speed I selected fan speed of 70% and it hovers around 48C how does that compare to other peoples? Thanks in advance :D
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

I'd also be interested in this, I've always used auto but I'm sure setting it up at a constant speed would make more sense than using auto (and save some resources).

Glad you found the guide useful, the first time I tried to do this mod I struggled with the RF Shielding and broke a couple of dremel bits but soon found using snips was much simpler and only took a minute or so.
RoyalX

Post by RoyalX »

whufclee, what about this one?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xilence-3-Pin ... 3a79832425

It is only 15mm high. So it is very flat and maybe you don't have to cut the HDD caddy.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Fan speed, I always keep it around 20-30% when in XBMC since temps are usually really low, even when watching movies. However I do set the BIOS fan speed to be 50% or more that way when i load up a game or an emulator the fan speed kicks up and keeps everything cool. Best thing to do is play with it and see what temps are at what fan speeds. These speeds i'm mentioning are with a stock fan, usually the speed will need to be increased with the larger 80mm fans.

@Royal, nice fan but try to get one that is not so thin, shoot for the 80x25 mm fans, the thinner one's tend to be louder and dont move as much air, also the sit further back from the CPU heatsink.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

@RoyalX: That is the exact fan that I've been using on my mods, seems to work great. I've been using those and also the "redwing" versions - I've always used ebuyer to buy mine but that seems like a good price. From what I can see the only difference between that fan and the "redwing" is the colour, they both seem to be very quiet and do the job needed. I haven't actually done a proper heat comparison test on them yet but I've had no problems with either the red or black.

@Nextelhalo: Thanks for the tips, I'll have a play around with mine sometime soon.
shady7

Post by shady7 »

Hi there I was using pcsxbox v21, playing resident evil 2 when I finished playing I checked the temp, had shot up to 70C I run my emulators form unleashx dash I upped the fan speed to 5.0 which is the most. Is there any other fan speed adjustments to make when playing games and emulators thanks in advance
MrMajst3r

Post by MrMajst3r »

I suggest to change thermal compound on CPU and GPU. Tutorial here
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... f=14&t=158

The best place to set fan speed is your BIOS. What way is your Xbox modded (softmod, modchip, TSOP flashed)?
shady7

Post by shady7 »

Its duox2 modchip I have an 80mm fan is there another place to set fan speed apart from unleashx and xbmc?
MrMajst3r

Post by MrMajst3r »

So, you are in excellent situation. Flash your modchip with X2 5035 or IND-BIOS 5003 (or X2 5035 v1.6 if you have 1.6 console). Then you need to put configuration file (x2config.ini on E for X2, or ind-bios.cfg on C for IND-BIOS). You can edit it manually or use simple app (X2 Config Maker or IND-BIOS Config App).
shady7

Post by shady7 »

Thanks for your reply my xbox is already set up and runs well. I am just worried about the temp after running a game or emulator it got up to 70C. My games and emulators are run from unleashx dash I have a 80mm fan and have turned unleashx fan speed right up. When running games and emulators is fan speed controlled by unleashx? or do I have to adjust Bios fan speed using X2 config maker? Nextelhalo said he adjusted bios fan speed up to 50% Any info would be great thanks in advance
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

It depends on what BIOS your running on your chip. If your using X2_5035 you can use X2_config maker to edit the fan speed. If your running an 80mm fan i suggest setting it to 100% depending on how loud it is, they can be different, i bet it's sitting at 20% right now. One thing to keep in mind, when you launch an emulator or an xbox game the bios decides the fan speed. When your in XBMC or UnleashX you have the option to adjust it as well but not in EMU's or GAMES, that's where the bios setting takes over.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
Debug kit untouched
shady7

Post by shady7 »

Thanks Nextelhalo yeah it got pretty hot while running pcsxbox emu. It sounds like I need to edit bios fan speed How do I do that do I need to download the newest X2 config maker. Its a Duox2 modchip and it says xecuter rox my box. Sorry I am a real noob at this :) Thanks in advance
shady7

Post by shady7 »

Hi there Ive been doing a bit of research on my xbox in system/settings I have kernel version 1.0.5035.1 xbox version 1.4 so I presume X2 5035 bios. I download X2 config maker V5035.3. Can someone give some advice do I just up the fan to 90% and ftp to E directory??? :? :?
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Your on track sir. You for sure have X2_5035 so it's easy now. Turn on your xbox and then load up X2 Config, set the fan speed to 90% in the menu, make any other addition tweaks you want and make sure you check the boot order too. You should make it point to your install of XBMC like E/Apps/XBMC/default.xbe or F/Apps/XBMC/default.xbe and set the second dash as a back up, set it for EVOX or UnleashX or something like that. Use the built in FTP option to send the config file to the root of E on your xbox. Reboot the xbox and now the changes are in place.

Middle of the page

http://www.xbox-scene.com/tools/tools.php?page=bios
Debug kit untouched
shady7

Post by shady7 »

Thanks Nextelhalo for the link and info. I downloaded X2 Config Maker V 5035-0.5.9 opened up X2 config maker application. Set Dash 1 C:\evoxdash.xbe My xbmc is not my dash and runs from applications so Dash 2 is E:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe and dash 3 is C:\xboxdash.xbe. Set fan speed 90% and leave all the ticks where they are and ftp to root directory of E: Tell me does sound right? Thanks for your time :D
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Sounds good to me, although i would set XBMC as the main dash because it's a 10 year boss hawg and badest media center EVER!!!!!
But in a nutshell you got it.
Debug kit untouched
shady7

Post by shady7 »

Thanks Nextelhalo Temp after playing some Resident Evil on PCSxbox was around 53C big improvement on 70+ degress :) :)
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Wow that's a huge difference. Since you jumped the fan speed so high could you hear the fan now or is it silent?
Debug kit untouched