How to Use Chimp (Updated)

mathewchapman

Re: How to Use Chimp (Updated)

Post by mathewchapman »

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has an updated link for this? File has been removed from isozone and billionuploads doesn't appear to work.

Any help is appreciated.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Post has been edited for newer content. Sorry about the dead link.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

I have nothing but praise for the bulk of the Chimp guide here but really what is the point of using a Slayers disc? It just seems to over-complicates things unnecessarily even for chipped machines. It just adds another layer of possible problems.

Also the importance of using Chimp2618 rather than any other earlier version isn't mentioned. This version is essential for v1.6 Xboxes and, as you would expect, is compatible with all other Xbox versions too.

Install Chimp2618 or idotsfan's updated Chimp261811 (beta) in E:\Apps by FTP or other transfer method. Make sure the linuxboot.cfg text file in the Chimp2618 folder is copied to the root of the E:\drive and is pointing at the correct Chimp folder/location.

The recent download I found for Chimp261811 had the original linuxboot.cfg file for Chimp2618 and consequently either the Chimp261811 folder in Apps or the linuxboot.cfg file itself needed to be edited. If they're mismatched Chimp will stall on the start screen with a red mark against the first line indicating the problem.

Using the UnleashX dash with its excellent file explorer and text editor is recommended.

BTW also make sure the Chimp2618 download is the install version and not the later disc based one. AFAIK Chimp261811 is only available as an install version.

Set up everything as described in the guide except for the Slayers stuff, power up the Xbox and whilst on the main dash swap the IDE cable to the new HDD. Now go to Apps and launch Chimp2618. Simple.

Once all done and the new HDD installed relaunch Chimp2618 and format the extended partition(s). I have read somewhere that Chimp2618 uses an older version of XBPartitioner so should not be used for big HDDs. I forget the size limit criteria, I think it is 500GB but don't quote me. I'm sure somebody else here will know.

Other than that there should be no problem with Chimp2618. It's GUI is simple and it has worked fine for all my own replacement HDD extended drive formating.

If you are installing a large HDD then you should instead use the most recent XBPartitioner version: v1.3 installed as an app. This will use the correct cluster size necessary to avoid later corruption issues when partitioning larger HDDs.

Chimp261811 I believe is supposed to fix the larger HDD extended F/G partitioning/cluster size issues but I have no definite information whether this is correct let alone actually works as it is only listed as a proposed feature in the motes I've found. It certainly would be an obvious and very helpful upgrade.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Look, most users just want a step by step route to get to the goal. A Slayer's disc adds a bit of "oops protection" in that if you mess it up, there is a way to fix it on that same disc.

[Post edited for unnecessary hostility]
Last edited by mrmajikbus45 on Sat May 02, 2020 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
Coldly-Indifferent

The first thing I did was praise the guide but I have been helping with questions on a number of other dedicated Xbox forums about the use of Chimp, 2618 in particular, for years. I don't claim to be any sort of expert I'm just a long time Chimp2618 user.

From my experience of the real world of novice Xbox modders, not the one inhabited by some of the advanced contributors you often find in forums like this, believe me, even if it written in the most simple English possible ANYTHING that can be done wrong will be done wrong and mess up what should be a relatively simple process.

All I suggested was that by adding any extra steps, even if the intention is extra security, it could be a source of more trouble for any of those less experienced users who might stumble on this thread. What on earth is there to get upset about by staying that?

No insult was intended, as said just the opposite.
yuvallon

Post by yuvallon »

Hello,

I just start to upgrade my HDD using this tut and I stopped just at the beginning when it said " this work only for softmod xbox".

I have hardware modded xbox - can I use this tut ? (with slyer disc)

is there any other method to upgrade my HDD ?

Thanks,
Yuval
Coldly-Indifferent

Really the only reason to use Chimp with a chipped Xbox is if there is stuff on the old HDD you want to copy to the new HDD and you don't have any other method available.

Otherwise with a chipped Xbox all you should have to do is put the new HDD drive in the Xbox and cold boot an installer disc like HeXEn or AID. I've never used Slayers so can't advise on that.

Format the HDD and then install a new dash - there are plenty of tutorials and YT videos available:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5zFiIXNhlY

excruciating start but stick with it because the rest is very good (BTW this video applies to both chipped and TSOPed Xboxes).

The AID PDF manual (easily found with a quick search) also has as clear a written description of the processes involved as you'll find.

Just make sure to use the chipped machine menu options rather than the softmod ones.

If you are going to use a 500GB+ HDD with large extended partitions for F:\ and G:\ in particular then you should, use XBPartitioner v1.3 to ensure the formatting is done correctly. If you don't then you risk suffering later data corruption.
budbandito720

Post by budbandito720 »

So I followed all the steps and when I plug in my new hdd I get a splash screen but then get the service screen, I put in slayers and same thing
You Cool Man?
Coldly-Indifferent

Which steps?

The original Chimp tutorial?
sjb266

Post by sjb266 »

mrmajikbus45 wrote:(Updated 10/16/2015)

In light of many questions, as well as the various threads asking how to use it, I figured I would make a guide for Chimp. This guide also covers how to get your F drive working when installing a larger HDD. Idotsfan is the master of Chimp, and this guide is only here to help people work along. I want to see all Xboxes modded, and hope that this can help in some way.

Why use chimp? It's an effective way to add a large HDD to an xbox. It is especially informative for those of us who softmod, and will not hurt your softmod in any way. This is useful for those looking to add games or large amounts of media. For me personally, it's the hardware limitations of my computer that prevents me from being able to use XBHDM. I also find it very user-friendly, so I have no qualm with it's layout. It's also good for those people who lack some technical experience. Also doing it this way, you can keep your HD AV cables hooked up.

Remember, for the Slayer's disc, you will want to burn it as an IMAGE, not just files. I personally use a program on my PC called imgburn to perform this. Burn to a DVD-R.

If you have no knowledge about modified Xboxes, FTP, computer hardware, or how to follow instructions exactly, STOP and go learn. By continuing to read, and following the instructions below, you agree that you are doing this modification at YOUR OWN RISK! Idotsfan (the program's designer), myself, XBMC4XBOX, admins of this site, or other forum members will not be held accountable for your actions from this point forward.

If upgrading using a SATA adapter, you may require an 80 PIN UDMA66/133 cable. If you are able to clone and lock as a slave, but get an Error 13 when you change the new drive to master and boot, you will require this. (Thanks to locutus2000 for the insight)

Necessary items:
1. Modified Xbox.
2. Official Xbox controller. Duke or S is fine, just not a 3rd party controller.
3. New larger IDE HDD. See if your HDD will work: http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list. (Note, this guide only covers IDE HDD. For information on SATA HDDs, there are other threads in this forum. SATA will work as well, and require an adapter to use)
4. A way to power the new HDD while hotswapping. I use this: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1& ... MgodShsAxA. There are other ways to power it as well, Google is your friend here.
5. Slayer's disc. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
6. A set of Torx screwdrivers or bits. You will need a T10, T15, and T20 for the Xbox.
7. Basic reading comprehension and ability to follow instruction.

Instructions:
Read these at least 3 times before proceeding. The risk is now YOURS and YOURS alone.
1. Download and burn Slayer's disc as an IMAGE at 4x or slower. Flip Xbox on its top, remove the screws, and take off the Xbox lid. Flip Xbox upright.
2. Power on Xbox and make sure the new HDD has power and is set to slave via the jumper. (Do NOT connect the IDE cable to the new HDD yet)
3. Insert the Slayer's disc into the Xbox DVD drive. Turn off Xbox. Power on and run the Slayer disc from cold boot.
4. Select the clone HDD option.
5. Install Chimp from that disc.
6. Then do a FAST REBOOT in the Slayer's main menu (at bottom).
7. When it restarts, go back into the option for clone HDD.
8. Before selecting the launch Chimp option, remove the IDE cable from the DVD drive and connect it to your new HDD.
9. Select launch Chimp.
10. Select the fatX icon (Blender)
11. Select the top option of Chimp. Ignore the 480p and 720p. This way just works. (If necessary)
12. Select option 1. Make sure it detects both drives. Scroll through. MAKE SURE.
13. Select option 2. Choose yes to format. Clone FULL disk.
14. Get a sandwich. It will take a few minutes.
15. Go back to the menu. Choose option 3. I always tell it to lock from motherboard. Works for me.
16. Power off the Xbox.
17. Unplug IDE cable from your new HDD, and place IDE cable back into the DVD drive.
18. Change the jumper in the new HDD to Master.
19. Disconnect original HDD, and power new HDD with the standard molex cable in the Xbox. You no longer need the splitter/other power source.
20. Disconnect IDE cable from original HDD, and place into the new HDD.
21. Power on and test new HDD with case open. If it works and you get the splash screen, awesome! (Note: If using a SATA drive, refer to green text above should you get an Error 13)
22. Insert Slayer's disc into xbox DVD drive.
23. Go to option 9, system settings.
24. Scroll down to Use F Drive, Use G Drive. Select yes for F drive, G drive is up to you. Scroll down to Save and Exit.
25. Scroll up to Option 4 APPS/EMUS/...
26. Select 4B
27. Select 4B2
28. Press A on next screen, don't be nervous.
29. Go to 4b2-3
30. Hover over the top item in the bottom box and press the white button until the desired size comes about.
31. Press START to write table and format. (Do Steps 25-30 if you chose to use a G drive)
31. Power off Xbox when it is finished.
33. Place new HDD into the HDD tray, store old HDD somewhere safe as a backup.
34. Put the Xbox lid back on.
35. Fire up Xbox and check on your F drive size.
36. Finished!

Happy modding!
I joined up just to thank you for posting this guide and the link to the ISO..

I've been trying all day with all different downloads of chimp and was pulling my hair out..

this got the job done straight up.. So thanks - You're worth more money!

Cheers

S. ;)
xbork

Post by xbork »

Hi, I'm hoping some kind person can help me out.

I've followed mrmajikbus45 steps and when it comes to rebooting stage where the Xbox only has the new drive installed I get the 07 error on the service screen. I've tried two different IDE drives (ST380011A & ST3200822A) and both end up with the same error. I also tried booting with the jumper on master and then on cable select and I still get the same error code.

If put the original 8 GB drive back in everything goes back to how it was. I suppose I should also mention it is a soft modded Xbox.

Any recommendation on what to try next will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

***UPDATE***

Turns out I'm a idiot, I looked over at the Xbox after clicking the submit post and I realised the hard drive power wasn't connected. I think its working now, I just need to resize the drives.
rowie4life

Post by rowie4life »

Thank you for this.
A few things were slightly off. The only thing I can remember was step 11 didn't come up, but I've now got a 200GB installed, so no worries.
parkerlreed

Post by parkerlreed »

I know this thread is fairly old but I'm running into an issue. Whether I use Slayer's disc or CHIMP 2618 directly, both are ISO files. My Xbox DVD drive is JUST the logic board... Is there any way to get this going by loading from HDD? I tried extracting the LUD.iso (CHIMP 2618) but it just errors out (Doesn't extract)
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

parkerlreed wrote:I know this thread is fairly old but I'm running into an issue. Whether I use Slayer's disc or CHIMP 2618 directly, both are ISO files. My Xbox DVD drive is JUST the logic board... Is there any way to get this going by loading from HDD? I tried extracting the LUD.iso (CHIMP 2618) but it just errors out (Doesn't extract)
Try this version, it works & also feedback would be great.
(Just run it from the E partiton, also remove the IDE cable from the dvd pcb when at the dashboard before loading Chimp261812 (XBLAST OS))

Currently what I have changed.
Chimp 261811 Changes

1. Redone the menus.
2. Added lock master HDD.
(not sure why its not there by default)
3. Added format extra partitions for slave drive.
4. Changed buffer size back to 512kb, as anything above this value will result in error 13.
5. Removed -d from hdtool in lockhda & lockhdb as hdtool doesn't use -d. (hdtool2 does)
6. Fixed the Pipe Viewer (Progress bar you see when cloning a HDD) fits the screen better.
7. Also padded the top of the screen for the above & the no progress variant.
(was required to compensate for overscan)
8. Changed the menu system in lpartitionerhda & lpartitionerhdb, stops the error about line 106.
9. Changed how the IDE information is gathered.
(its a lot cleaner looking)
10. Moved the formating of the slave hd untill after the user chooses the options.
(saves on time for me testing things & means the user can exit before formating the slave drive)
11. Removed the bloody flashing cursor!
12. option to lock the slave hd after the cloning procedure is complete.
Test build link
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/170 ... 20Test.zip
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
parkerlreed

Post by parkerlreed »

Rocky5 wrote:
parkerlreed wrote:I know this thread is fairly old but I'm running into an issue. Whether I use Slayer's disc or CHIMP 2618 directly, both are ISO files. My Xbox DVD drive is JUST the logic board... Is there any way to get this going by loading from HDD? I tried extracting the LUD.iso (CHIMP 2618) but it just errors out (Doesn't extract)
Try this version, it works & also feedback would be great.
(Just run it from the E partiton, also remove the IDE cable from the dvd pcb when at the dashboard before loading Chimp261812 (XBLAST OS))

Currently what I have changed.
Chimp 261811 Changes

1. Redone the menus.
2. Added lock master HDD.
(not sure why its not there by default)
3. Added format extra partitions for slave drive.
4. Changed buffer size back to 512kb, as anything above this value will result in error 13.
5. Removed -d from hdtool in lockhda & lockhdb as hdtool doesn't use -d. (hdtool2 does)
6. Fixed the Pipe Viewer (Progress bar you see when cloning a HDD) fits the screen better.
7. Also padded the top of the screen for the above & the no progress variant.
(was required to compensate for overscan)
8. Changed the menu system in lpartitionerhda & lpartitionerhdb, stops the error about line 106.
9. Changed how the IDE information is gathered.
(its a lot cleaner looking)
10. Moved the formating of the slave hd untill after the user chooses the options.
(saves on time for me testing things & means the user can exit before formating the slave drive)
11. Removed the bloody flashing cursor!
12. option to lock the slave hd after the cloning procedure is complete.
Test build link
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/170 ... 20Test.zip
Thanks! I'll give it a shot. I still need to dig up another HDD to transfer to. Thanks again for the reply.
parkerlreed

Post by parkerlreed »

Rocky5 wrote:
Quick question. If I select to copy C, E, and F (I don't see a G in FTP but it might be there) will it automatically expand F to fill the space? Main reason for the upgrade is I'm about to run out of space on F from collecting some games.
vice86

Post by vice86 »

Every few years I pull out the ol' Xbox original...each time I think of upgrading the HDD but never do it because of time or thinking I can't figure it out. Pulled it outta storage again and decided to give it a go this time with the HDD upgrade. After watching so many videos and reading so many steps I was about to give up because comments would always say the person left something out.

Then i found this thread :) Followed step by step (up to a point) and now I'm upgraded up to a 250GB WD drive...yay. I would have went bigger but I'm cheap and $22 for a 250GB was a bargain vs almost $100 for anything bigger.

Only part I got stuck at was:
23. Go to option 9, system settings.

Option 9 on the Slayer disc for me was something about flashing mod chip. Could not find a "settings" option. Looked at an option 9 in Chimp as well and nothign about settings. Well everything was fine up to then...just needed to format the F drive so I just did a little more googling and used XBPartitioner and I'm all good now.

Thanks for the thread! Cool to see people still tinkering with their 15 year old console. Tinkering with it is half the fun.

I have an extra Xbox360 laying around...now I'm curious if that can be softmodded/discs backed up just like you can with Xbox original.
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

parkerlreed wrote:
Rocky5 wrote:
Quick question. If I select to copy C, E, and F (I don't see a G in FTP but it might be there) will it automatically expand F to fill the space? Main reason for the upgrade is I'm about to run out of space on F from collecting some games.
It won't expand. The partition will have to have the space reallocated, wiping the current contents.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

parkerlreed wrote:
Rocky5 wrote:
If it's the latest build of 261812 then you can make it clone C, E, F & G will take the remaining space of the HDD, there is no way to expand partitions on the Xbox.

So your F partition will be intact & you will have a G partition with what ever space is left over.
(Takes away the need for XBPartitioner, since Chimp 261811/12)
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
A2600

Post by A2600 »

Its 2016 and this is still helping!!

I am a couple of years late but as my father says better late than never