How to Use Chimp (Updated)

Coldly-Indifferent

Re: How to Use Chimp (Updated)

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Plenty of people are still using the original Xbox for a whole host of purposes and reasons so updates and, more importantly, improvements to existing apps are always very welcome.

I used Chimp261812 only yesterday to install a new 160GB HDD in one particular Xboxe, something I've been meaning to do for some time. I'm probably going to employ this one mostly for music so I'll be using XBMC4Xbox as my prime dashboard rather than my preferred UnleashX, used for the more gaming dedicated Xboxes I also own.

BTW like Chimp2618, which I've used many times, the Chimp261812 clone went without a hitch. As I've pointed out here before no additional disc based media required at all. Just install and use it as an app from your dashboard of choice in the way Rocky5 recommends.
Last edited by Coldly-Indifferent on Sat May 27, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Either way works.

BTW, hello people, it has been a long time.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own. -Solid Snake
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
Ailyn Zel

Post by Ailyn Zel »

mrmajikbus45 wrote:Either way works.

BTW, hello people, it has been a long time.
Hello there and thanxx again for the excellent drive. It's been awhile since I have had to do any research on the original xbox but I had problems with on one of mine a few days ago. So I googled and came up with this guide. I started running through it and am cloning as we speak. Then I cam back to the computer, and started reading down the posts and imagine my surprise when I saw my name and a post! LOL, guess I'm getting old. Hopefully today's fix will work same as last time. Thanxx again!
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

I hope it fixed your issue again.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
dm0x

Post by dm0x »

I could use some clarification on how you power your second drive. You linked https://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1 ... MgodShsAxA

But you never stated where you were using this? I ask because im hoping you are insinuating you use power from you xbox only split. But im unsure as everyone else online seems to be saying to buy an entirely new pc power suply just for this. Which im not really wanting to buy another PSU for a one time thing.

Please clarify how you are powering the second hard drive.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

You can use the molex splitter or a second Xbox sitting alongside just for power :-)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Personally, I just use the molex splitter within the lone xbox power supply. Less materials needed, and all of it is right in front of you at that point.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
Coldly-Indifferent

Rocky5, a regular and respected contributor here, has been updating Chimp261812 over the last year to make it even simpler to use.

Installed as an app it boots automatically now not even needing the linuxboot.cfg copied to E (it uses a config.cfg). It will partition all size HDDs supported by the Xbox including the extended partitions F & G with the correct cluster sizes. It will now do this as slave ie. without having to install the new HDD as master. Other very useful extra features include being able to lock the slave HDD with any eeprom previously copied to the master HDD (Y drive).

In short it makes any previous tutorials on how to use Chimp redundant.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

[Redacted as this is irrelevant to newer users looking for answers]
Last edited by mrmajikbus45 on Sat May 02, 2020 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
Coldly-Indifferent

There is nothing pretentious in what I've said. It is stating hard facts and, as I've said before, I'm not getting at you personally. I'm not petty like that, I've been nothing but courteous and respectful of your intentions and the tutorial. But it just isn't the recommended way of using Chimp and hasn't been for some time.

Your technique works, of course it does, but it isn't the most up to date or best method. That is all I'm trying to convey with my, I repeat, respectful, criticism. Rather than being precious about your original, useful but now superseded methodology why not direct people towards Rocky5's contributions here in this very same thread, using his updated Chimp261812 installed as an application?
PureChaosX

Post by PureChaosX »

Hm, since this thread is still active I figured I'd post a question to a problem I have.

That is to say... Chimp doesn't work. Basically, Chimp2618 crashes at the Gentoo screen and doesn't progress any further, as long as the new HDD is attached. If I unplug it, Chimp starts to load. If I plug it back in... instant crash. Oh, and the LED blinks all three colours over and over.

I have the jumpers set to Master (Xbox HDD) and Slave (New HDD), I connect the new HDD before launching Chimp as per the instructions. But absolutely nothing works as long as the new drive is plugged in. It's a 160Gb Seagate ST3160215ACE which apparently IS supported by the Xbox... apparently... but Chimp is having none of it. I've tried the Xbox HDD on both Master w/Slave and Cable Select.

I've tried running Chimp from a manual install in Applications as well as through the Slayers disc, but same result. This isn't the first Xbox I've upgraded the HDD in, I've already installed a new drive in my other Xbox as well as a friends and they both went perfectly, and I think possibly they all had Seagate drives as well. I'm unsure as to my Xbox motherboard version as I can't find any solid conformation about it. It has no heatsink fan, two rows on the power cable, no daughterboard for the controllers...

Oh, NOW it's passed the Gentoo load screen, but it's frozen on the black screen with the Linux penguin... drive not ready for command?? But it IS ready!

Does anyone have any insights to problems like this? Or has anyone HAD problems like this?
mishra288

Post by mishra288 »

Hi, first off thank you! Great guide! Im a little stuck on one thing though. I have a difference I think in my Slayers Hybrid disc concerning this part:

25. Scroll up to Option 4 APPS/EMUS/...
26. Select 4B
27. Select 4B2
28. Press A on next screen, don't be nervous.
29. Go to 4b2-3

I dont have 4B, 4B2 etc. I have this instead....

Where to now?
(in case image didnt show, My optons are 4A1, 4A2, etc up to 4A14)
DonaldRB

Post by DonaldRB »

So I followed this tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TqOVaXUcJo

and made it past everything with my 500gb maxtor harddrive but now I get the service screen regardless of the master/slave plug I put into my harddrive.

My splitter cable had a wire pulled and whenever I try and get back to the chimps menu it won't let me. I figured out that I formatted f and rest to g but not all to get like the text said to do.
mrmajikbus45

Post by mrmajikbus45 »

Holy cow this thread still exists. I will try to update it over the next couple of days.
American as Guile!
Get your Chimp on!
jonnieX

Post by jonnieX »

mrmajikbus45 wrote:Holy cow this thread still exists. I will try to update it over the next couple of days.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

CurtisMartinez

Post by CurtisMartinez »

DonaldRB wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:06 am So I followed this tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TqOVaXUcJo

and made it past everything with my 500gb maxtor harddrive but now I know how to get rid of gyno and get the service screen regardless of the master/slave plug I put into my harddrive.

My splitter cable had a wire pulled and whenever I try and get back to the chimps menu it won't let me. I figured out that I formatted f and rest to g but not all to get like the text said to do.
It's a good and helpful tutorial. If you find some more tutorials like this do share them with us too.