[Video Guide] Creating a video library

whufclee

[Video Guide] Creating a video library

Post by whufclee »

This guide will take you through the steps needed to create a nice snazzy looking video library rather than using the standard file mode.

If you're storing your media on a network share then store your videos in as little sub-folders as possible. It will considerably decrease the amount of time spent on scanning, for example I used to have my media setup like this:
NOT RECOMMENDED:
<TV Shows> - <Show Name> - <Season> - show_name S01E01.avi (where S01E01 denotes season and episode number)
<Movies> - <Movie Name> - Movie.avi

When using the above structure it would take over an hour to scan for new content (even if there were no new entries to add). However by removing just one sub-folder meant it would take less than 10 minutes for a full scan... My advice would be to have it like this:
RECOMMENDED:
<TV Shows> - <Show Name> - show_name S01E01.avi (where S01E01 denotes season and episode number)
<Movies> - Movie.avi

noyus

Re: [Video Guide] Creating a video library

Post by noyus »

I am not being able to use the scrapers to get my movie information.
Gives me the following message:

Code: Select all

Server is most likely unavaiable.
Everything internet-related works fine and I'm using XBMC_r31337.

EDIT: I used XBMC V3.2 and it worked fine. Sorry to bother.
juna1103

Post by juna1103 »

whufclee whats my friend
In the video guide ( Creating a video library ) when you go into video and add, where in the video it says to browse for Movies and Tv show files? I am using the Jan Build and I can't find in any of my drives E F G none of these have a folder for movies or tv shows.. Do you have to add them manual with file manager and then fill them with movies and tv shows?
I am trying to build and movie list that shows on the fanart, it seems to be hard from me to figure this one out.. any help you can throw my way..
Thanks
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Yes you just create a "TV Show" folder and a "Movie" folder and then fill it with whatever videos you have. Once you then add the source and scan you will have all the artwork and plot summary.

If you have a stock hdd then you won't have a lot of spare space for videos so you can probably only fit about 3 movies on the xbox (don't fill up drive E with stuff as xbmc needs to have space in drive E for userdata). If you have an upgraded hdd then make the TV Shows & Movies folders on drive F or G.
juna1103

Post by juna1103 »

Thanks again
Yeah I have a 300GB hard drive, so I guess I will make the tv and movies folders on the F drive? would that be a good idea? because the F drive has the most GB than all the other drives.
Thanks to you, I know not to mess with C, or E, drives.. thanks for that..
juna1103

Post by juna1103 »

whufclee
In xbmc jan build, It won't let me enable Library mode? in system setting there's a few options for library, but in my movies folder inside video files, the side menu that pops out on the left of the screen, that option enable library mode, is greyed out. It won't let me enable it skips right over the option.
Is there something I can do for it to let me enable it? thanks
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

You can't enable library mode until you've scanned your content in. Go to the root TV/Movie folder and press the white button to bring up the context menu - you need to scan for new content. If it doesn't find anything it probably means you're not connected to the internet or you haven't yet told it what media the folder contains (Music Vids, TV or Movies).
juna1103

Post by juna1103 »

In my xbmc it doesn't have the option to set content? it just has ok or cancel.. after I go into video file and click add source, I browse for me F drive and in there I made a Movies and Tv show folders. I click on movies folder and then click ok, just like the video. Do you think if I change the skin to the same as the video, it will have the option to set content?
Connected to internet
On jans buld
juna1103

Post by juna1103 »

I found the setting for set content, was looking in the wrong place sorry. worked 2 shifts last night...