How to change thermal paste on CPU/GPU Heatsinks

GhostlyGamer

Re: How to change thermal paste on CPU/GPU Heatsinks

Post by GhostlyGamer »

5l1p wrote:This has proven to be very helpful, Thank you! I had some trouble trying to remove the GPU heatsink though, do I just make sure its hot from use first and do I pull it or wiggle? I ask because I could see the mother board flexing and the thing would not budge!
take the top off of the box, and have the dvd and hdd drives out, take the gpu heatsink clip off, then play a game or watch a movie for about 5 minutes. then, turn the xbox off, and unplug it, and wiggle the gpu heatsink around while applying a steady, but not to heavy, upward force. it should eventually pull off.
5l1p

Post by 5l1p »

Thanks for the extra info, have not tried this yet but will give it a go soon. I became a little weary watching the motherboard bend all over the place so thought it best to ask!
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

You really dont even have to play a game or watch a movie or anything while you wait for the GPU sink to warm up. Just turn on the xbox with the video cable plugged in and let it idle for a few minutes, after that it should come off much easier. Good luck sir.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
thepitt

Post by thepitt »

Most isopropyl alcohol comes at 70% pure and 70% in most cases will cause you much trouble. Get 90% and the thermal compound will be gone in seconds regardless if it's the crap on the XBOX GPU/CPU or what you've used in your PC. I also find using cotton balls drenched in 90% isopropyl alcohol works great as they are very cheap, disposable and will most likely be purchasable in your Drug store (normal Drug stores sell the 90% isopropyl alcohol while a lot of "Supermarket's" don't).
border collie21

Post by border collie21 »

A bit late but whatever. Someone said you can't use WD40 to remove the thermal paste. I did it on my 360 Elite and it's fine, WD40 is actually way better at removing the terrible paste that Micro$oft puts on. just lay the board/ heatsinks down on a flat surface and put some Wd40 right on the paste, leave it for 5 minutes and ta-da. Wd40 also works well to remove those ugly stickers that gamestop puts on used games. same application method and peel up with a credit card (I used a box cutter).
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

wd40 eats away the paraffin way used in thermal pads you should clean it with iso afterwards if you do that to get of the oil residue that can contaminate the new heat paste you use
border collie21

Post by border collie21 »

professor_jonny wrote:wd40 eats away the paraffin way used in thermal pads you should clean it with iso afterwards if you do that to get of the oil residue that can contaminate the new heat paste you use
Makes sense.