[Video Guide] Update XBMC4Xbox Via FTP

whufclee

[Video Guide] Update XBMC4Xbox Via FTP

Post by whufclee »

Ok so maybe you've just modded your xbox and need to update to a newer build or maybe you just need to know how to FTP into your xbox so you can transfer your movies and music collections over. Either way this video guide will show you how to do it, the actual guide shows how to update to the latest build but if you want to transfer any other files across just use the same method.

Important info:
1) When updating xbmc4xbox via ftp it's vital that you aren't running xbmc at the same time, ALWAYS use another dash such as Evox/UnleashX/Avalaunch. If you're simply transferring media files across then it's perfectly fine to FTP whilst running xbmc4xbox.
2) In the video I recommend using the latest nightly builds from xbmc4xbox.org which at the time was completely correct. However the site I linked to is now dead but you can now grab them from this site, also the nightlies are now "development" releases so I'd recommend installing the latest "stable build". In other words don't come running to me with your bug reports - you've been warned :D

Last edited by whufclee on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenshin

Re: [Video Guide] Update XBMC4Xbox Via FTP

Post by Kenshin »

Thanks for all your video tutorials,man.
They're awesome! :D
IntelNeerd

Post by IntelNeerd »

Hello, i followed your guide to update my XBMC but now when i run it from my EvoX dash as i always do nothing happens. (I have not updated XBMC since i downloaded it 2002 :))
Deyarmond

Post by Deyarmond »

I'm trying to do this as well. Just want to make sure of a few things. I'm running NaviX under my Scripts. Should I just be able to copy my current scripts folder into the newer XBMC folder so I don't lose NaviX? I just don't want to do this and then lose my files or ruin my Xbox, I've never done these kind of things. I didn't even mod it I had to get someone else to do it for me.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Yes copying scripts and plugins over is absolutely fine, just copy over your scripts and plugins folders from the old to the new. What you don't want to do is copy over your userdata as it can cause problems. Generally it's ok but if you're coming from a very old build it will cause all sorts of problems in the future, also there are some newer builds that have had this issue too so I just find it easier not to copy it over which will mean you need to set all your preferences and settings again in xbmc4xbox. Whilst FTP'ing you may as well also install XAI and then if something went wrong with Navi-X or any of your other plugins you can just use that to re-install them.

Oh also, if you are copying any plugins over you should also copy over the UserData/Plugin_Data folder and sometimes you also have a UserData/Addon_Data one too (copy both over). If you do this it will keep all your current plugin settings, some addons won't work without these folders.
RoyalX

Post by RoyalX »

I think this should be a sticky for the XBMC4XBOX forum.
Or on the main page or in the top, between "Forum" and "Download" as Videos

And also think there should be a Q&A for this.

Because I see a lot of new topics about updating XBMC.
vs3074

Post by vs3074 »

I have updated my XBMC as guided but now I have an issue. If I go into filemanager and launch XBMC from new folder it works great. But on turning on xbox, it would goto previous installation even though I first backed up those folders and then deleted them.

EDIT: searched the forums and found the way out. Deleted everything from E: and added everything from XBMC to E:\dash folder. That did the trick :D
xman

Post by xman »

vs3074 wrote:
EDIT: searched the forums and found the way out. Deleted everything from E: and added everything from XBMC to E:\dash folder. That did the trick :D
That worked for you because it suited you machine's boot path. This may not be the case for everyone however. AID and Hexan Install discs would have the boot path set to E/ XBMC by default. Slayer's would have it in E/apps/XBMC or F/Apps/XBMC so as you can see this exact practice may not suit all. Really need and easy to check method of finding the machine's boot path so no one gets it wrong so everyone gets this right 1st time around. No one wants dramas upgrading builds of XBMC.
Braidxb

Post by Braidxb »

How do you install another dash without overwriting XBMC?

edit: nvm
juna1103

Post by juna1103 »

In this video it says to go into dash in E but I don't have any dash folder?? please any help
SFORCES

Post by SFORCES »

What if you never installed XBMC to the xbox? what do i need to do then?
xman

Post by xman »

Just grab another dash like Avalaunch, EvoxDash, or what ever other ones you wish, there are a few out there and FTP them into your apps folder and if you don't have an "Apps" folder, just create one usually in your E drive. You can get apps from the Slayer's disc, the AID disc, Hexan, or from somewhere like this....http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name= ... oad&cid=36. If you use a disc you can tell it where to copy the app to or if you download from a site like I linked too, FTP it across to your apps folder once you have it on your P.C... Now you have apps you can boot them by going to XBMC's filemanager and once you open them, go to there .xbe file and hit A to boot them to do things like editing the name of the latest build of XBMC and change the old version from XBMC. Always wise to have other apps on your machine. ;)
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

SFORCES wrote:What if you never installed XBMC to the xbox? what do i need to do then?
From the PM you sent me it sounds as though you don't yet have a softmod or a modchip. As I mentioned in my reply take a look at the two "softmod" video guides and then if you need help feel free to reply in the appropriate thread and we'll do what we can to guide you through it all.
SFORCES

Post by SFORCES »

whufclee wrote:
SFORCES wrote:What if you never installed XBMC to the xbox? what do i need to do then?
From the PM you sent me it sounds as though you don't yet have a softmod or a modchip. As I mentioned in my reply take a look at the two "softmod" video guides and then if you need help feel free to reply in the appropriate thread and we'll do what we can to guide you through it all.
Yeah it has a chip in it. that was before there was modchip for it. i think it's a generic one though..
pinasco86

Post by pinasco86 »

I have a little question: I've downloaded the XBMC4XBOX-3.2-STABLE.zip file, and there isn't a folder called BUILD inside??
Do I need to create one and extract the files in there?
Thanx in advance
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

What do you get when you extract the files? It doesn't matter if it's not called build you just need a folder that contains all the xbmc files. If the folder is called XBMC you might have to rename it to something else as you don't want to overwrite your existing xbmc folder.
gennyexd

Post by gennyexd »

Hello to all!
I would like to know how to push the new release XBMC4Xbox ( 3.2.1) on my Xbox. I have the old version and i would like to know how to replace this version with the brand new one that I have just downloaded....
In the past I used to copy the entire XBMC folder somewhere ( i don't remeber exactly righ now) using an FTP client as Filezilla. And now? How do I push it on my Old Lady??? To be exact i would like to know where I am suppose to move the folder that I just downloaded...
please let me know!
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

The process is and always will be the same no matter what build you want to upgrade to. If you watch the video and follow that you can't really go wrong - just ignore the bit about downloading the build (as you already have it).
rayborn

Post by rayborn »

Hi All,

I have downloaded the XBMC4Xbox-3.2.1 and transferred the unzipped folder to E:\Apps on my XBOX1 using Filezilla to ftp.

All files transferred but 57 files FAIL to transfer inder the MSVC++ and VC++ directories

Does anyone know what the issue could be or how I can get around this.

Thanks
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

I don't recall seeing those folders before, where did you download from? Those folders sound more source files that need compiling to me. Of course I could be completely wrong as I've not updated to a new build in a few months now... buzz????! :D