[Video Guide] Softmod Xbox Part 2

whufclee

[Video Guide] Softmod Xbox Part 2

Post by whufclee »

Presumably you've already followed the "Softmod Xbox Part 1" guide so now it's time to use the HeXEn disc...

(Continued from Part 1) Now it's modded you should be able to run copied discs, however different xboxes have different DVD Roms so different brands of DVDs will work on different xboxes. I recommend using Verbatim DVD-R discs as they are confirmed as working on every xbox model (make sure it's -R and not +R). So now it's time to watch video 2...

Hopefully congratulations are now in order and you should have a very old version of xbmc installed! Now you simply need to install a newer build so follow the guide on "Update via FTP".
Last edited by whufclee on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mambo30

Re: [Video Guide] Softmod Xbox Part 2

Post by mambo30 »

i dont have a F\ disc to format , i just softmoded my 2nd xbox, did i miss something?
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Probably just means you're on the 8gb HDD, the xboxes came with either 8gb or 10gb HDDs (different HDDs for different models). If you have the 10gb you'll be able to get another 2gb in the form of an F drive, if you have the 8gb then it will all be used up on E.
Crisse

Post by Crisse »

I am an older Swedish guy who are doing a serious effort trying to softmod an original xbox. The plan is to use it as XBMC media center. I am using the instruction videos by whufclee (excellent help, thanks). The xbox was successfully softmoded following Part 1. I copied the gamesave exploits from an usb stick and used Splinter Cell. I then downloaded the HeXEn engineering Disk and burned the ISO to a TDK R- DVD using K3b (Linux) at 3x. The DVD loads fine and I start the Krayzie softmod installer. The installation runs fine for quite a while but then freeze with the following text in the blue message box:

Extracting. Please Wait..
E:\Delete Me\DVD2xbox\dvd2xbox07_8\default.xbe
------------------------------------------------------------------19%

Please help! My wife will tease me forever if I fail after spending so much time on this.
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

It's struggling to read the DVD. Try cleaning the Xbox DVD drive lens, and burning a new copy of the DVD.

Unfortunately UnleashX doesn't provide error reporting or the ability to do branching in the batch file based on errors, so there wasn't much I could do to deal with this sort of thing.... sorry!
Crisse

Post by Crisse »

Thanks for the quick answer. Now I can rule out any software problems and concentrate on the DVD player. I was just puzzled that the installation froze at exactly the same spot every time even with a different DVD. Today, I bought a pack of Verbatim -R DVDs. I will do a new burn and clean the DVD ROM. On "The Iso Zone" I found "Hexen For hard disk Drive not dvd" by Shambles. Can I use this to update the softmod and install XBMC in case I cannot get the DVD ROM to work? FTP worked fine after the original softmod.