FTP - How To Get Maximum Speeds

whufclee

FTP - How To Get Maximum Speeds

Post by whufclee »

This question has been asked so many times that I've decided it deserves its own thread (as I can't be bothered to explain to people anymore!). So you're getting slow FTP speeds, there is a chance it could be a problem with your router/switch - ideally you should have your xbox connected directly to your router for best results and the occasional reboot of the router doesn't hurt. Below are the settings you should be using if you want the quickest ftp results:

Copying lots of small files (such as games/emulators/apps):
If you're planning on ftp'ing lots of small files over then you want as many connections open as possible, the xbox can handle 10 simultaneous connections at any time. This means you're copying 10 items at a time rather than one or two, obviously this is massively going to increase the speed of the transfer.
On PC:
Install FileZilla, FlashFXP is ok but personally I have better results with FileZilla and it's free.
Open up FileZilla and go to Edit>Settings>Transfers> and set maximum simultaneous transfers to 9.
Go to Edit>Settings>Transfers>File Types and set default type to Binary.
Go to Server>and make sure "Force showing hidden files" is ticked.

On Xbox:
Load UnleashX (if you used HeXEn to softmod it will be in your E:/Dash folder - just click on the .xbe file to load).
Go to Xbox Admin>System>Settings>Network>Set Max No Of Users to 10
Exit and save changes, reboot.
Load up UnleashX and all should be good to go.

Copying large files (such as music & videos):
You can only transfer at a maximum rate of 10mb/s so we don't want to be copying lots of files simultaneously as there's much more chance of something going wrong, you're better off just having one (certainly no more than 2) connections as this will use full bandwidth for your files. If you imagine 10 movies ftp'ing over at 1mb/s each it's going to take the same amount of time to ftp but there's a much greater risk of something going wrong. You only need an error halfway through and you've got none of your 10 movies copied over. If you had it setup as only one connection you'd have each movie transferring at the full 10mb/s meaning it should be nice and quick and if you do get a drop on the network or something goes wrong you've only got that one file that needs doing again.

Steps to take:
Install FileZilla as mentioned above but just keep the maximum simultaneous transfers to 2.
Load up XBMC4Xbox and ftp to your hearts content :D
You can use any dash but XBMC4Xbox is already setup for 2 transfers so I usually just use that and keep UnleashX setup for maximum transfers when doing games/apps.
Nextelhalo

Re: FTP - How To Get Maximum Speeds

Post by Nextelhalo »

Thanks for this Whuf, I notice the same performance from loading any lightweight dash other than XBMC. I usually use DVD2XBOX myself but i'm going to give UnleashX a shot to see what happens.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
thepitt

Post by thepitt »

No matter how many connections I set to transfer files does not effect the transfer of single large files that run at around 2-3MByte p/s under XBMC. When I need to upload something large (large => 10GB) I use "Auto Deluxe Installer" via booting it from disc and I get almost full 100 Mbit p/s. I change nothing else, I don't mess with my routers, switchs, hubs (yes, plural and all 3).

ADI uses the FTP server from the Evox Dashboard (as it's a modified version of it), but it boots from disc and has many useful tools including comprehensive FTP server settings required for non-standard network setups.

While increasing the number of transfers does speed up small file transfers it does not address larger files nor does it come anywhere close to full 100Mbits p/s.

It's annoying, but worth it if you're going to transfer large amounts of data as something that could take 8 hours under XBMC could take 2 under AID.
Last edited by thepitt on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

If anyone is up for some testing, see if increasing the buffer size on the FileZilla Server helps.

Start from the post below, then in the server interface app go into Options (cogwheel icon) > Miscellaneous > Transfer buffer size = 4096 (default).
http://dandar3.blogspot.com/2010/03/xbm ... t-ftp.html

Change to a higher value, say double, save (ok) - that'll add a new entry in Q:\system\FileZilla Server.xml
<Item name="Buffer Size" type="numeric">8192</Item>

Restart XBMC4Xbox and test again.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

I always switch to UnleashX when copying large amounts of data. This may be worth a shot though. Thanks for the share.

In XBMC I get 4MB/s and in UnleashX I get 11-14MB/s

Is there any way to change out XBMC FTP server for one like in UnleashX or similar dashboards?
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

thepitt wrote:When I need to upload something large (large => 10GB) I use "Auto Deluxe Installer" via booting it from disc and I get almost full 100 Mbit p/s.
Sorry, but that's simply not possible. Ethernet rarely runs at more than sustained 80-90 MBit/s because of inter-frame gaps etc., and with FTP overheads you are unlikely to get much more than 75-80 MBit/s of sustained real throughput - and even lower if you have multiple devices on your network. I think you might have made a mistake in your maths when converting bytes to bits, as 10 Mbytes/sec (i.e. 80 Mbit/s) is a much more usual figure.
thepitt wrote:ADI uses the FTP server from the Evox Dashboard (as it's a modified version of it), but it boots from disc and has many useful tools including comprehensive FTP server settings required for non-standard network setups.
Sorry, but that's also wrong. AID isn't a modified version of Evox, it's a menu driven by the UnleashX batch script language. It uses the standard UnleashX dash, and consequently has all of the standard UnleashX network and FTP settings.
thepitt

Post by thepitt »

Heimdall wrote:
thepitt wrote:When I need to upload something large (large => 10GB) I use "Auto Deluxe Installer" via booting it from disc and I get almost full 100 Mbit p/s.
Sorry, but that's simply not possible. Ethernet rarely runs at more than sustained 80-90 MBit/s because of inter-frame gaps etc., and with FTP overheads you are unlikely to get much more than 75-80 MBit/s of sustained real throughput - and even lower if you have multiple devices on your network. I think you might have made a mistake in your maths when converting bytes to bits, as 10 Mbytes/sec (i.e. 80 Mbit/s) is a much more usual figure.
thepitt wrote:ADI uses the FTP server from the Evox Dashboard (as it's a modified version of it), but it boots from disc and has many useful tools including comprehensive FTP server settings required for non-standard network setups.
Sorry, but that's also wrong. AID isn't a modified version of Evox, it's a menu driven by the UnleashX batch script language. It uses the standard UnleashX dash, and consequently has all of the standard UnleashX network and FTP settings.
Yes it is possible. I was certain that AID was based on Evox not UnleashX, but whatever FTP deamon it uses I see no reason why the other user reported around the same figure (although, his figure was > 100Mbits p/s). I always get 11-12 MEGABYTE p/s (99% average of 100Mb p/s) when transferring over my network using wired connections. I also run my computer through a HUB that connects to a ROUTER to another ROUTER that is connected to another HUB that has my video gaming consoles connected to it. It's not impossible as it happens every time I transfer a large file to my XBOX, PS3, Wii, etc ... (might I add with MANY collision signals).

I'd make a video, but then I'd be acting like some little punk trying to tell prove something to someone over the Internet. Believe it or not, I will continue NOT TO USE XBMC4XBOX or the original XBMC due to piss poor FTP transfer speeds. AID does the trick.
2 Bunny

FAST FTP Reply

Post by 2 Bunny »

Here's another tip if your Xbox is on a wireless network: I've found that when copying files to a wireless Xbox, the transfers will go way faster if your computer is plugged into a wired part of the network. If you try transferring wireless to wireless, it'll slow way down. With wired to wireless or wireless to wired or wired to wired, there is no problem. Just thought I'd letcha all know incase you're experiencing slowdowns. And use Filezilla or Windows for FTP transfers, not FlashFTP.
Mangraviti

Post by Mangraviti »

whufclee wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:20 am If you're planning on ftp'ing lots of small files over then you want as many connections open as possible, the xbox can handle 10 simultaneous connections at any time. This means you're copying 10 items at a time rather than one or two, obviously this is massively going to increase the speed of the transfer.
This is not accurate information. If you change the settings to 10 simultaneos uploads (not connections), it means that you are copying 10 items at a time. This will not increase the speed of the transfer as the bandwidth the XBOX ethernet can handle won't simply get bigger. In fact, I am just uploading a lot of data to my 2TB drive and by allowing 2 uploads, the speed of the uploads dropped exactly by half. I was getting 12Mbps with one upload and now I am getting 6Mbps.
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

Too many FTP connects will not only create a concurency issue on the Ethernet side, but there will also cause a chocking point for the HDD as well. You need to find the right balance, just like in any other thing in life :-)