Xbox Component Cable

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
xman

Re: Xbox Componant Cable

Post by xman »

bigkidoz wrote:Tight arse, spend the $10 and get a proper cable :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Or just set fire to your house yourself. :lol: :lol: :lol: Nex's idea is the way you do it but use one of these plates and attach it to the case-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Compo ... o_jack.jpg

Advantages,

1- it looks like it was factory, possibly.
2- you can use proper cables to connect.
3- if you reef on them you won't start a fire and burn your house to the ground.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

:lol: :lol:
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

xman wrote: 3- if you reef on them you won't start a fire and burn your house to the ground.
say whaaaaat?

and yeah, that might be easier at this point, but does it allow HD?
xman

Post by xman »

GhostlyGamer wrote:
and yeah, that might be easier at this point, but does it allow HD?
Well, yes, of coarse it will if you wire it up correctly. You are going to need all 5 RCA sockets, the 3 required for the video and the 2 for the audio unless you want to only have optical sound or coax sound in which case you would use a socket to suit them and not the 2 RCAs for your sound. You will need to put the "link" in to tell the machine to output HD and you will still need to select it in the GUI. This is no different to what you are doing installing a component lead but you are hard-wiring it.
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

xman wrote: Well, yes, of coarse it will if you wire it up correctly. You are going to need all 5 RCA sockets, the 3 required for the video and the 2 for the audio unless you want to only have optical sound or coax sound in which case you would use a socket to suit them and not the 2 RCAs for your sound. You will need to put the "link" in to tell the machine to output HD and you will still need to select it in the GUI. This is no different to what you are doing installing a component lead but you are hard-wiring it.
so i would have the litle pin rack in there, but nothing coming out the back? just the correct jumper(s)? or multi jumpers with switches for the different video modes?
xman

Post by xman »

I just use a proper component lead set so I can change the leads if necessary something you can't do if you hard wire it. No pin rack, just wires going straight to the board with the link soldered on the board. The link is normally in your connector that plugs in your Xbox by the way or on a switch if you have a selectable output lead set. I use a set like these-http://www.ebay.com/itm/XBOX-LCD-AV-CAB ... 5d340fa75a
cashonly

Post by cashonly »

hello, i made this cable from a standard xbox cable and an xbox 360 component cable. (the composite rca, yelow one, became digital coaxial out)
the pinout that helped me is from this site:
http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/xbox.htm
be carefoul if you look at diferent pinouts from diferent sources, the pins are not labled with the same numbers.
P.S. excuse my english, it's not my first language
Attachments
Image005.jpg
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

asbo wrote:For VGA, assuming you have a Sync on green monitor, its exactly the same as component.
waaait, does that mean i could just buy a breakout like this and use a VGA bios?
asbo

Post by asbo »

yes ;)
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

asbo wrote:yes ;)
:D! that also means i could solder a split onto componant and then solder vga to one end and the rest of the componant to the other?
asbo

Post by asbo »

you could but why not just plug the VGA bit in when you need it?
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

asbo wrote:you could but why not just plug the VGA bit in when you need it?
FOR THE LOVE OF SCIENCE (And im a cheap ass, and a poor ass, im using my islands free-cycle to get a tv for my room so i can actually test the mods)
twofires

Post by twofires »

I've been having a nightmare with this, I have 2 cables, 1 is a cheap crap cable I bought on ebay years ago
and even though I've taken it apart and checked all connections, I can't get a signal on screen.
I've tried on 3 different boxes all switched to ntsc and on 2 different tv's.
So I put it down to it just being a crap cable and thought I'd make one myself from a composite cable,
now despite soldering/desoldering/resoldering the thing on quite a few occasions now and checking all connections
with a multimeter so I'm 100% sure they are right, I still can't get a signal on either tv
Is there something I'm missing?
angel4b

Post by angel4b »

Wow, you cable looks intense. I just bought a Monster component cable off ebay.
monster component cable.jpg
monster component cable.jpg (11.98 KiB) Viewed 6359 times
Some cables seem to work better than others. Its like the colors are off. I can change the video to PAL, i can see a picture...but the colors are off and its a bit garbled, but when I change to NTSC the picture is unreadable. Another (Monster) cable just throws the colors off, no garbled picture. I have checked to see if the right colors are plugged into the right sockets...but that's not the problem. Anyone else experience this?
asbo

Post by asbo »

twofires wrote:I've been having a nightmare with this, I have 2 cables, 1 is a cheap crap cable I bought on ebay years ago
and even though I've taken it apart and checked all connections, I can't get a signal on screen.
So I put it down to it just being a crap cable and thought I'd make one myself from a composite cable,
now despite soldering/desoldering/resoldering the thing on quite a few occasions now and checking all connections
with a multimeter so I'm 100% sure they are right, I still can't get a signal on either tv
I think I had a similar experience before. The problem I had was the screen couldn't display a signal with the component cables without HD mode being enabled on the xbox. This created a bit of a paradox because you can't enable HD without component cables plugged in(well not that I could figure out anyway).
The solution was, with the component cable plugged into the xbox, to plug the green connector into your displays composite(yellow) connection.
Doing this I got a fuzzy black and white image but I was able to see enough to enable HD mode.
Maybe that'll work for you. :)
twofires

Post by twofires »

asbo wrote:
twofires wrote:I've been having a nightmare with this, I have 2 cables, 1 is a cheap crap cable I bought on ebay years ago
I think I had a similar experience before. The problem I had was the screen couldn't display a signal with the component cables without HD mode being enabled on the xbox. This created a bit of a paradox because you can't enable HD without component cables plugged in(well not that I could figure out anyway).
The solution was, with the component cable plugged into the xbox, to plug the green connector into your displays composite(yellow) connection.
Doing this I got a fuzzy black and white image but I was able to see enough to enable HD mode.
Maybe that'll work for you. :)
Asbo you're a star, worked a treat on my tv (headache now gone :D )
now gonna try connecting to a component/vga converter
and a 19" lcd (parts for my impending bartop arcade machine)
thanks again you just saved me a lot of time and money :)
asbo

Post by asbo »

Your welcome :)
When it happened to me I was using a VGA converter also(we have no TV's in our house), luckily I had a composite to VGA converter as well as a component to VGA converter.
tim619

Post by tim619 »

hey guys,

I want to connect my xbox 1 to my tv using componant or similar so I'll get a digital signal (audio+video) an video should be at least 480p or better 720p.
the problem is my TV has only HDMI,Scart,VGA and this one (see picture attached, the port under yellow says ypbpr) but not the 5ports for component. I also want to make the audio directly
to my 2.1 speakers (they have the white and red port). I also dont want an hdmi adapter because than also sound is on my tv boxes and they are really bad and signal would be more bad.
and when I would use this adapter http://images.marketplaceadvisor.channe ... rtcp.1.jpg, do you think it would be digital and could display 720p?

greets
Attachments
tv.JPG
Heimdall

Post by Heimdall »

The SCART connector on your TV might support RGB on the SCART interface, maybe 480p or even 720p. You need to check the manual. If it does you'll need an Xbox Advanced SCART Cable to get RGB from your Xbox - but I'm not sure what resolutions that supports.

Note that this composite to SCART converter definitely WON'T do what you want.

The connectors in your picture look more like composite (yellow) plus audio L+R.

The adapter you linked to looks like some variant of component to SCART break out, which would still require your TV to support RGB (or possibly even YPbPr) over SCART.
tim619

Post by tim619 »

OK thank you very much, I'll check this within the next days and then write here again.
I was just wondering if the port under the yellow one could have something to do with componant but i'll test it as soon as possible.

e: tested using my camera on the port i made a photo from but on the screen just stands AV and NTSC and quality is very pixeled like the little menu from camera just upscaled.
but it definetly supports component* now i have to check how i have to connect i do not have the manual here but could the scart adapter i posted bring digital signal? the little ypbpr port
doesnt take the yellow cable because its an 3,5 audio jack format..
*when i choose menu from which source the tv screen has to be then there stands hdmi,av,..., COMPONENT