Xbox Component Cable

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
GhostlyGamer

Xbox Component Cable

Post by GhostlyGamer »

Ok, so i have this

anyone know how i would solder it to this?
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Xbox Componant Cable

Post by BuZz »

female to female phono adapters ? might even get one with three.
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

its YPbPr cable, i want to enable HD but without buying anything. i thought i might be able to cut off the composite bit and open the av jack and soldier in the YPbPr
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Aah i see. I thought you had the xbox end and you wanted to extend it.

Well,, someone just posted some video pins outs etc, but considering I just bought an original m$ optical spdif/component adapter for £12 off ebay - its certainly too cheap for me to do some wiring. of course, your skills may be a lot better than mine!
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

yeah the pinouts are for the mobo i think, and im pretty bad at wireing, but hell, im too cheap to buy the original ms cable lol. and whats with the m$, i never understood that
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

i didnt even realise i did that. VERY VERY old habit from bbs/amiga days! :) sorry!

now it's more

GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

ololololololol
asbo

Post by asbo »

GhostlyGamer wrote:its YPbPr cable, i want to enable HD but without buying anything. i thought i might be able to cut off the composite bit and open the av jack and soldier in the YPbPr
Yep you can, its fairly easy if your good with a soldering iron.
Here's a site with the pins. http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/xbox.htm
Cut the rubber from the bottom of the connector along the flat metal shield. Hopefully you can see what I mean in this picture:

De-solder all the wires from the pins.
You'll need a multimeter to figure out which wires are which on the component cable.
Then solder on the component cable like this:
Get two short lengths of wire and solder pins 18 to 6 and 19 to 7. This will put the xbox into component mode.
Then solder
1 to Audio Right, 2 to shield (Red Phono)
14 to Audio left and 15 to shield (White phono)
9 to Pb (Blue Difference Signal), 10 to shield (Blue phono)
11 to Y (Luminance), 12 to shield (Green Phono)
22 to Pr (Red Difference Signal), 21 to shield (Red Phono, don't mix up with Audio Right)

Test it. Then tape it up with a tape colour of your choice, I chose green ;) (Mines actually a VGA cable but its the same idea)

If that's too complicated you can get xbox component cables seriously cheap on ebay, just be sure not to get a 360 one by accident.
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

asbo wrote:
GhostlyGamer wrote:its YPbPr cable, i want to enable HD but without buying anything. i thought i might be able to cut off the composite bit and open the av jack and soldier in the YPbPr
Yep you can, its fairly easy if your good with a soldering iron.
Here's a site with the pins. http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/xbox.htm
Cut the rubber from the bottom of the connector along the flat metal shield. Hopefully you can see what I mean in this picture:

De-solder all the wires from the pins.
You'll need a multimeter to figure out which wires are which on the component cable.
Then solder on the component cable like this:
Get two short lengths of wire and solder pins 18 to 6 and 19 to 7. This will put the xbox into component mode.
Then solder
22 to Pr (Red Difference Signal), 21 to shield (Red Phono, don't mix up with Audio Right)

Test it. Then tape it up with a tape colour of your choice, I chose green ;) (Mines actually a VGA cable but its the same idea)

If that's too complicated you can get xbox component cables seriously cheap on ebay, just be sure not to get a 360 one by accident.
O.o

i may have to just buy one...

on the other hand. is is possible to make a multi-dapter? ie, leave the composite/svideo in there in case i need it and make some easy to switch jumpers for the different modes?

is shield the thing around the pin on the cable?
tacitus

Post by tacitus »

Here's another guide how to convert the normal A/V cable to component:http://www.bigmech.com/misc/xbox_ntsc2comp/
asbo

Post by asbo »

GhostlyGamer wrote: O.o

i may have to just buy one...

on the other hand. is is possible to make a multi-dapter? ie, leave the composite/svideo in there in case i need it and make some easy to switch jumpers for the different modes?

is shield the thing around the pin on the cable?
yes you can make one with a switch, again see the chart here http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/xbox.htm
e.g. if you wanted component and PAL stereo you'd connect up pins 24, 22, 11, 9 and their grounds. You'd then solder 18 to ground since it has a blue square in both PAL and component on that chart. Then you put a switch between 17 and ground and 19 and ground. You then flick that back and forth to change between PAL and component.

I "borrowed" this chunk of text from another website:
really I think it would be better to replace the word shield with ground in this case. But yes the shield is the bit around the outside, its always grounded on cables.

I'm really bad at explaining things to people in person, let alone in text, so I'm not sure I'm making much sense :lol:

xbox cables and whatnot is probably a good and fun way to learn a bit about electronics(if you don't know already) just be prepared to try try again. So I'd advise against doing this if that's your only cable and you don't want to potentially ruin it.
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

Hey, if its the only cable, gives you incentive not to screw up ;)
and its actually a madcatz multi system adapter (x360, ps1/2,n64/gc, and xb1) so it has svideo as well, ill pop it open and see whats there, and once i realized shield ment ground, the instructions made perfect sense. now to make switches and a VGA port too...

looks like i have to be reaaaaaaaaly careful around pin 20, might it be safer to just pull it out?
asbo

Post by asbo »

GhostlyGamer wrote:Hey, if its the only cable, gives you incentive not to screw up ;)
and its actually a madcatz multi system adapter (x360, ps1/2,n64/gc, and xb1) so it has svideo as well, ill pop it open and see whats there, and once i realized shield ment ground, the instructions made perfect sense. now to make switches and a VGA port too...

looks like i have to be reaaaaaaaaly careful around pin 20, might it be safer to just pull it out?
hmm +12v. I dunno, just be sure not to connect anything to it. I hadn't even realised there was a 12v line in there.

I'm sure you realise but just to be sure, GND means ground.

For VGA, assuming you have a Sync on green monitor, its exactly the same as component. You just need a VGA bios or softmod. Note that you'll have to switch bioses back and forth if you want to switch between VGA and component. I found using a VGA bios with component leads gave everything a purple tint.
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

asbo wrote: I'm sure you realise but just to be sure, GND means ground.

For VGA, assuming you have a Sync on green monitor, its exactly the same as component.

You just need a VGA bios or softmod. Note that you'll have to switch bioses back and forth if you want to switch between VGA and component.
Yes I do.

How do i find out?

I have a softmod and am planning to switch to a X2.6, could i have a Normal bios on one bank, and a VGA bios on the other, and just turn the box off and switch the bank switches for the two different bioses?
asbo

Post by asbo »

haha well in theory it should say in your monitors manual. However I have a BENQ G2222HDL here that says nothing about sync on green in the manual but it does have it since I use it with my VGA xbox. I think perhaps the new monitors just have it these days but I can't be sure since this is the only newish(year and a half old) monitor I have. Some of the older ones I have support it and some don't but they all say in their manuals.

Yep a VGA bios in one bank and a normal in the other should work fine.
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

i have SOG, so im good to go. if i have a softmod what do i need for VGA?
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

You can add component out ports to the back of the xbox. Here's a picture of what i mean, I got this from someone else and didnt do the mod but i've seen it done many times.
All you do is solder a few wires under on the bottom side of the motherboard where the video plugs in (see the pinout chart for which ones) and then soldered to these component
leads. This example is sloppy as hell since there's just leads hanging out there but you could drill and tap into the back of the xbox and mount them properly.

Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

yeah ill save that for later when i have more money :)
GhostlyGamer

Post by GhostlyGamer »

Well 'aint THAT Jim-fuckin-dandy

Third party cable, ofc they wouldn't include all the pins, why did i think they would? And the wiring and jumpers are all weird. Time to put it back together!
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Tight arse, spend the $10 and get a proper cable :lol:
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.