Cloned xbox

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
poppiseed

Cloned xbox

Post by poppiseed »

My softmodded xbox stopped working. I have 2 more so im good with that. I had cloned & upgraded the harddrive in it. Now I wanna take the harddrive and use it for mass storage for my computer but I cant because the cloned xbox software is still there. My question is how do I unlock and erase a cloned hard drive?? Thanks!

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

:twisted: GOD MADE ME JUST TO PISS YOU OFF :twisted:
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: Cloned xbox

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

It is the fact it is locked to the Xbox that is the problem not the actual contents.

If you did what you should have done when you installed the softmod you will have a copy of the eeprom from the dead Xbox. There are several ways you can use that to unlock the HDD.

However if you do not have the eeprom and the Xbox is dead then you have a problem because the only solution I know would be to use an eeprom reader. AFAIK that requires the Xbox to be powered up even if not otherwise working so it really depends on how, exactly, your Xbox stopped working what, if any, solution can be used.

If there is another method of unlocking a HDD from a totally dead Xbox without the eeprom I'd be interested to know myself.
debra94

Post by debra94 »

Well having an trouble like you
...My old xbox burn & don't have a backup eeprom for unlock the hdd

Well i use "ZU - ATA Password Unlock Tool for Several Drives"
..more info...

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4895&p=33839#p33839

..sorry for my poor english
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Thanks for that info and links in the other thread.

If I've understood the use of that tool it sounds as if you need an IDE PC to be able to use it. Is that right?

Whenever I've attached even an definitely unlocked IDE Xbox FATX formatted HDD to a PC via an USB external housing Xplorer360 still does not see it. The PC recognises a USB mass storage device is attached but, unlike FATX formatted flash drives, for some reason it is not seen. Xplorer360 will simpy report no FATX formatted device has been found. Unless you initialise the HDD and reformat it to FAT32 or NTFS the PC won't pay ball. That, of course, wipes the FATX formatted contents.

This is fine if you just want the HDD and not the contents but if you do want the latter I've found only hot-swapping works. To start with it requires the Xbox to be working which is not the case here. It is always very hit or miss anyway, usually more miss.

It will work eventually but getting there can be very frustrating because the precise swap point/method, contrary to some of the info out there, is not certain. Every time it fails you have to reconnect the HDD to the Xbox and reboot. That gets old very quickly.

Now remember that is all with an unlocked HDD. You're subject to another level of potential problems if the HDD is locked as in this case. The PC may well not even recognise the USB device attached at all and consequently you would not be able to run any unlocking program.
Last edited by Coldly-Indifferent on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
debra94

Post by debra94 »

If I've understood the use of that tool it sounds as if you need an IDE PC to be able to use it. Is that right?
Ho well yeah is true. .. I have use this tool with pata hdd (previously locked from an xbox) connect directly to an PC
..and another important thing is that the BIOS PC having an option (sorry dont remember the "name of") for permit anyway the boot... This because PC alert you that cant boot or access from that hdd ...and dont find this option on most modern/new PC

If remember well for unlock sata hdd i use "manhattan sata 300 to ide converter (158282)"
With this adapter connect sata hdd to pata cable and unlock. ...

..whit this tool i succeed always to remove the lock from an hdd (previously locked from an xbox).. but never trying to recover data from it (from fatx)