Xbox with Duo X2 HDD replacement help

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Rock70

Xbox with Duo X2 HDD replacement help

Post by Rock70 »

Hi There,

I have an Xbox mfg 24-11-2004 which was picked up from a recycling centre it has an Duo X2 mod chip (solder looks messy/dirty), it's still running the standard drive and boots to the MS dash (eject button) and to Evolution X (pwr button).

I've tried installing a couple of spare drives I had, a 120GB and a 320GB however neither won't boot (error 6) when I set them up with Slayers 2.7, I have another Xbox also with a modchip (don't remember the name) which runs something M8+ from memory which has been easy to change drives with. After looking up the error code I'm wondering whether I have the drives locked by my other Xbox.

What's the trick with installing a replacement drive with this modchip so it boots the same as the standard drive as mentioned above?

Cheers

Rock70

Tom M.

Re: Xbox with Duo X2 HDD replacement help

Post by Tom M. »

All I have ever done was using Verbatim CDRW and Auto Installer Deluxe 3.0 from Xbox HQ to boot via Xbox DVD drive and install the system. I have the DuoX2. No problems with spare hard drives, not even SATA SSDs via adapter, never needed to lock the drives, unlocked all the time. Using Evolution X only...
Rock70

Post by Rock70 »

Tom M. wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:46 pm All I have ever done was using Verbatim CDRW and Auto Installer Deluxe 3.0 from Xbox HQ to boot via Xbox DVD drive and install the system. I have the DuoX2. No problems with spare hard drives, not even SATA SSDs via adapter, never needed to lock the drives, unlocked all the time. Using Evolution X only...
Thanks for the info, I downloaded AID 4.53q burnt it to multiple DVD's once even with the 1GB dummy file it states to use when using DVD's and when booting it just sits at the Xbox logo screen forever. I tried on my other xbox and it sat there but finally loaded AID after 10 minutes. Is this normal?

Cheers

Rock70
Rock70

Post by Rock70 »

Rock70 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:25 pm
Tom M. wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:46 pm All I have ever done was using Verbatim CDRW and Auto Installer Deluxe 3.0 from Xbox HQ to boot via Xbox DVD drive and install the system. I have the DuoX2. No problems with spare hard drives, not even SATA SSDs via adapter, never needed to lock the drives, unlocked all the time. Using Evolution X only...
Thanks for the info, I downloaded AID 4.53q burnt it to multiple DVD's once even with the 1GB dummy file it states to use when using DVD's and when booting it just sits at the Xbox logo screen forever. I tried on my other xbox and it sat there but finally loaded AID after 10 minutes. Is this normal?

Cheers

Rock70
I eventually got it to work, none of the IDE drives worked (possibly locked to original modded Xbox) I tried a 1TB SATA drive with an adapter and it worked straight away...

I used the Hexen disc, flashed the bios with the X2 bios that was on it, and formatted the drive and installed XBMC etc.