question about the Hard Disk EEPROM

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
jhitman

question about the Hard Disk EEPROM

Post by jhitman »

Ok, so I modified my softmodded XBOX hard drive for a 160gb one, but this har drive is very precious to me and I know that if the XBOX breaks, this hard drive will be non usable anymore because it will stay locked forever; I cant even use it for a new XBOX if I buy a new one.
My question is as follow, is there any way I can write down the code to unlock my Hard drive so that just in case my xbox breaks I can at least unlock my hard drive and use it with another xbox (I heard of an EEPROM thingy, not too sure)? and if yes, what program/app do I need to find that code? And finally, if my xbox does break, how would I unlock my HDD using that code and bring it back to usable/normal HDD that I can use in my PC or whatever other device; basically, how do I unlock it again if my current XBOX breaks and cant use it anymore (is there any PC program or another XBOX app that could unlock it WITH the code?)
Thank you very much in advance, Ive been looking for an answer for days now
And btw, XBOX 1 ROCKS!!! great community you guys have there!
much love!
jhitman
CapedCrusader

Re: question about the Hard Disk EEPROM

Post by CapedCrusader »

Yes, you can get the eeprom backup and lock/ unlock your HDD on your PC!

To get the eeprom I use Config Magic Final on the Xbox, then FTP to PC.
To lock/ unlock on my PC I was successful with Xbox HDM 2.2 USB edition.

You will find all the necessary tutorials on the web.

Hope this helps!
jhitman

Post by jhitman »

ahhh ok I see, and by the way, is the eeprom a serie of numbers and letters? is that all I need to lock/unlock my HDD (via my pc) thank you so much!
CapedCrusader

Post by CapedCrusader »

Well, it is a series of numbers and letters but it does not make sense to input these manually. Config Magic creates an eeprom.bin file, and this is what you need to lock/ unlock a Hdd, as XboxHDM reads from an eeprom.bin file as well. Also, eeprom.cfg and eeprom.txt are created, which contain the same information, you can open both with notepad and see what is in them. However, only eeprom.bin is necessary for what you need.
jhitman

Post by jhitman »

Great! you information have been of great value my friend! I downloaded config magic and now, I created a backup EXCEPT the eeprom.bin isnt called eeprom its called EEPROMbackup.bin .... I assume its the same thing right? it also created the txt and cfg file... So for now thats all I need to be able to unlock my hard drive IN CASE my xbox breaks or gets damaged right? thank you so much for your advice Capedcrusader, youre really kind bro.
jhitman
CapedCrusader

Post by CapedCrusader »

You are welcome!

Yes, the .bin file + eg. XboxHDM is all you need to unlock the HDD on your PC if need be.

Using XboxHDM you will need to rename it to eeprom.bin (lower case is obligatory, won't work otherwise).
jhitman

Post by jhitman »

ok perfect! you really answered all my questions thank you so much, and the official last LAST thing Im wondering is; do I have to rename it to eeprom".BIN" or just eeprom (since its already a .bin file but it just doesn say it...) ? Im not sure if youll understand...basically, eeprombackup is already a ".bin" file, do I have to ADD the ".bin" when I rename or just rename it to "eeprom" (in lower case) WITHOUT adding the ".bin" to the name? thank you very much in advance my friend!
jhitman
CapedCrusader

Post by CapedCrusader »

The final file should be exactly "eeprom.bin" (just one .bin :) ).
jhitman

Post by jhitman »

ok, amazing! thank you so much for your help my friend, really helps!