I Want To Get Working On A Way To Get Better Usb Storage

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
mediabox

I Want To Get Working On A Way To Get Better Usb Storage

Post by mediabox »

ok so we all know the xbox has a 4gb limit for usb storage....

so i was thinking of putting money on a way to fix that but i dont have the smarts for it.

does anyone in the modding community want to work on this?

i will pay for everything.
Rocky5

Re: I Want To Get Working On A Way To Get Better Usb Storage

Post by Rocky5 »

It’s a hard limit in the kernel, so a hacked kernel is required or patching the kernel to get round it after boot is required.

It’s not a hardware thing.
( UnleashX Build 584 supports larger USB devices )
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
mediabox

Post by mediabox »

Can that unleashX build read videos?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

mediabox wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:00 am Can that unleashX build read videos?
WMV8 and XMV only.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
mediabox

Post by mediabox »

what is the new size limit for usb hard drives?
Last edited by mediabox on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

What is it exactly you're trying to accomplish? The Xbox only uses USB 1.0, which is really slow. Transferring data from an 8gb or 16gb flash drive would be painfully slow, especially considering you get way faster transfer speeds over FTP.

To answer your question about HDD sizes, it's 2TB. Technically you could install a 3TB (or bigger) hard drive, but you would only be able to squeeze an extra 185GB of storage space out of it compared to a 2TB drive. To find out why this is the case, read up on this thread.

From professor_jonny:
bios uses 32bit number for sector size and with the constraints of the rest of the hdd parameters has a limit of 2tb with out rewriting the bios.
rewriting the bios is not going to happen and in doing so it would break all existing apps ability to work just like xmuggen which wont work on a big f partition it would also require patching the xdk librarys to support it. [...] To add 2tb and beyond you would have to set aside another 32bit data segment for the upper segment of the sector number to add it up to a full 64bit to go beyone 2tb, the file system would support it but it would be a work of art to acomplish it and it will some what slow down access speed by poping and pushing between upper and lower segments of the sector count as we only have a 32bit processor so no 64bit contiguious segment is available for it with out a workaround. yes the bios will work in theory support a hdd up to 144,115 TB or 144 PB via the lba48k but Throughout the kernel, a 32bit sector number is used for low-level access limiting it to 2 tb
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
mediabox

Post by mediabox »

my idea was not about copying files from a usb drive, it was about playback from usb.

the guy before you told me what i wanted to know. i have moved on because my box is broke now and i need to replace it.

but thanks for the info anyway.
Skaught

Post by Skaught »

What I would want to see is an IDE to USB adaptor. Really it would need to be an IDE emulator that could use USB as it's storage space. Basically this: https://www.retrotronics.org/home-page/netpi-ide/

It looks like the project might be dead at this point, but it was on the right track. Make a hardware interface to a RaspberryPi, emulate the IDE/PATA protocol on the Pi, and allow any storage seen be the pi to be mounted. That would mean that external USB drives could be used, or even network shares.