No DVD drives work.

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Marty

No DVD drives work.

Post by Marty »

So, here's what I've got. A version 1.0 that's been TSOP flashed...I flashed it maybe 8 years ago, then put in on a shelf.
So recently I pulled it out to get it going and I noticed it wouldn't recognise any DVD drive attached. I've tried:

- 3 different original DVD drives (2 Thompsons and 1 Philips)
- 3 different PC IDE drives (that work on other XBOX's and should at least cold-boot disks, as they do on my other boxes)
- 4 different yellow drive connectors
- 4 different IDE cables ( 3 working 80 pin cables and 1 original 40 pin cable)
- various configurations of attaching the original drives with the yellow drive connector, but a PC drive attached to the IDE cable with a molex power source

So I'm at a loss. All other functions work great. The hard drive works fine. XMBC, EVOX, Unleash all run great...games installed to the hard drive run perfectly.
The symptoms are that most often the tray wont eject and even when I can get a disk in, it's never recognised.
When I have the original drive attached with the yellow DVD cable and a PC drive attached to the IDE cable and molex power source, the XBOX will boot with 3 flashes of only red, then a slight pause, then boots directly to the hard drive with no problem.
I've checked the motherboard for scratches, corrosion, burnt or missing components...nothing unusual.
At this point, I'm suspecting the power supply. Is it possible there's a voltage (12v or 5V) that's underperforming for what's needed for DVD operation, but good enough for all other functions?
If there's any more info you'd need, please let me know. Thanks friends.
Marty

Re: No DVD drives work.

Post by Marty »

...and the IDE header on the board is fine. No bent pins, missing pins, shorted pins on the opposite side...