Swapping Left and Right Thumbstick Fuction

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Sleaka J

Swapping Left and Right Thumbstick Fuction

Post by Sleaka J »

I've searched for it, and I haven't found anything that says you can do it, but I'm going to ask. Is there a way to swap the thumbsticks over on an original Xbox controller?

By that, I don't mean replacing the sticks. I mean Left stick works as though it was the Right stick and Right stick works as though it was Left.
GoTeamScotch

Re: Swapping Left and Right Thumbstick Fuction

Post by GoTeamScotch »

There's probably schematics of the controller board floating around the Internet. If you're comfortable cutting traces and adding wires to tiny points it might be doable. Whats this for anyways?
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
Sleaka J

Post by Sleaka J »

I know this is going to sound like a stupid reason, but here's the short version: I want it reversed for a couple of flight games. Specifically, Star Wars Starfighter and Star Wars Jedi Starfighter.

Here's the long version: I bought Crimson Skies on Xbox One (backwards compatible) recently because it was well regarded as a great game and I had never played it. I have trouble controlling the plane because the left stick controls the direction the plane is pointing, whereas the right stick controls the direction guns point in FPS. To me it feels counter-intuitive because you use opposite thumbs to do the same thing in different games. On Xbox One I can swap the analog sticks using the Xbox Accessories app so I had a much easier time controlling the plane in Crimson Skies after that. Currently, Starfighter and Jedi Starfighter are not playable on Xbox One.

As I've only recently got my original Xbox up and running again (soft-modded and all) I wanted to go back and finish some games. Starfighter and Jedi Starfighter use the same Left Stick direction control as Crimson Skies and I want to change that. I knew swapping the thumbsticks wasn't going to be as easy as the Xbox One method, I was hoping there was a way to hack the firmware to reprogram them or something on the controllers, but I can't find any information on that. I have 2 controllers (both bought in 2002 when I got the Xbox), so I wanted one for flight games with the sticks reversed and the other for everything else.
Sleaka J

Post by Sleaka J »

With the imminent release of Star Wars Jedi Starfighter as part of Xbox One backwards compatibility, it feels like a waste of time to swap the thumbstick functions for just the one game in the list I wanted this for that I have left on the original Xbox.

Consider the idea abandoned.