Heatsinks with fan for the Xbox

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

I've seen many places on this forum discussions about cooling the Xboxes. Many still want the iceberqs, but they are getting hard to come by, then i stumbled over a thread on the facebookpage "Xbox (Original) Modding, Trading, Collecting, Discussion (OGXbox.com)", with som heatsinks with fans. They dont seem to outperfom the original heatsinks in a standard case, but i guess they could work well in a slim,

I am borrowing the picture and info provided in this thread from the person that made the mod, and he asked to be credited: Peter Nikoloudis

His temps after playing for several hours
'
Apparently they are silent too

There are some discussions on mounting. The original modder used the holes for holding down the motherboard, he had to drill them out a bit and also drill the heat sink holes. Some in the discussion thinks it would be better to use the holes for the original plastic retainers.

Link to the heatsinks: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-Piece ... autifyAB=0
Last edited by LudviG on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never argue with an idiot! First he brings you down to his level, then he beats you with experience.
peter_nik

Post by peter_nik »

Hey guys,

Just make sure you sand down the anodised coating in the bottom of the heat sinks, it helps the temperatures a lot and gets them flat as they come a little buckled.

The reason I used the bolt method was to make sure there is enough pressure and the plastic clips on the heatsinks are completely useless for the Application.

You don’t need to drill out the motherboard holes, all existing holes are used and there is plenty of unexposed internals so you won’t damage anything is done correctly! but I had to use a 3/16 bit just because of the bolts I used, but drilling the heatsinks is a must and use good thermal compound.

This mod won’t work on a 1.6!

I’m not responsible if your wreck your console!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JustinBeaird

Re: Heatsinks with fan for the Xbox

Post by JustinBeaird »

have you been able to locate any of these heatsink/fans on amazon? I dont know what I am looking for.
I really dont want to put my cc number on another site.
peter_nik

Post by peter_nik »

JustinBeaird wrote:have you been able to locate any of these heatsink/fans on amazon? I dont know what I am looking for.
I really dont want to put my cc number on another site.
Here is a link for them on eBay
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3550798441

brianeric26

Post by brianeric26 »

peter_nik wrote:Hey guys,

Just make sure you sand down the anodised coating in the bottom of the heat sinks, it helps the temperatures a lot and gets them flat as they come a little buckled.

The reason I used the bolt method was to make sure there is enough pressure and the plastic clips on the heatsinks are completely useless for the Application.

You don’t need to drill out the motherboard holes, all existing holes are used and there is plenty of unexposed internals so you won’t damage anything is done correctly! but I had to use a 3/16 bit just because of the bolts I used, but drilling the heatsinks is a must and use good thermal compound.

This mod won’t work on a 1.6!

I’m not responsible if your wreck your console!

Did you completely sanded down the anodised part or just sand a bit ? Also it will run with just this two fan heatsinks or it need another fan like the original one?

Enviado desde mi SAMSUNG-SM-N920A mediante Tapatalk

peter_nik

Post by peter_nik »

It uses the original exhaust fan on the back to, I just upgraded mine to a 80mm

peter_nik

Post by peter_nik »

And I Sanded all the coating off