Slim fan

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
PressY4Pie

Slim fan

Post by PressY4Pie »

i know its been talked about before but what fan do you guys recommend to keep my slimed xbox quieter. I dont need silent but ive got a stock fan in there and it is WAY to loud. i dont even use my xbox because of it
Nextelhalo

Re: Slim fan

Post by Nextelhalo »

Any 60 x 25MM fan will work fine, check the CFM and that usually lets you know how loud it can be.

This fan is Suuuuuper quiet even at 100%. However, even at 100% it's airflow isnt what i wanted but it did get the job done.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811999615
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
PressY4Pie

Post by PressY4Pie »

Thanks. i think ill grab that. wish i would have done it about four days ago, i just put a fat order to newegg and that could have came with the rest.

Also, dont know if you have a 360, but way back when it first came out the xenon boards had that overheated like crazy had a small mod people liked to do, that was to make a makeshift airduct out of cardboard. do you think that would help on a slim because there is a lot (bout a inch or two) of space between the fan and heat sync.

mine doesn't run that hot with the modded stock fan, but it could be cooler.
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

PressY4Pie wrote:Thanks. i think ill grab that. wish i would have done it about four days ago, i just put a fat order to newegg and that could have came with the rest.

Also, dont know if you have a 360, but way back when it first came out the xenon boards had that overheated like crazy had a small mod people liked to do, that was to make a makeshift airduct out of cardboard. do you think that would help on a slim because there is a lot (bout a inch or two) of space between the fan and heat sync.

mine doesn't run that hot with the modded stock fan, but it could be cooler.
I used to do the duct mod on 360's but i found using tape to seal the edges of the shroud where it meets the heatsinks worked just as well, it would help on slim as there is no shrouding to direct airflow.
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

I actually have had to make a duct in the past with some of the slims and it did help out quite a bit. The reason for the duct was because the new fan sits alittle further away from the heatsink causing a larger gap, this is less air flow over the heatsink. Also with no HDD tray(factory duct) sitting over the fan the fan brings in air from other points instead of from over the heatsinks. I noticed an almost 10 degree drop when i made my duct and channeled air over the heatsinks. Food for thought but i would suggest installing the fan first and see what kind of temps you get.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
Debug kit untouched
PressY4Pie

Post by PressY4Pie »

still on a stock fan i was running about 130 f. made a duct out of cardboard and some classic silver duct tape and it dropped to 123 ish
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Nice, well it is "duct" tape :)
Debug kit untouched
foxinabox

Post by foxinabox »

With cardboard duct in my slim I'm seeing an almost 10 degree drop as others have said. So I tested it with 10% fan. ... And I never use 10%. It scares me.

My current bedroom temperature is 75F/23C. My fan (60x25 delta AFB0612EH --- 6800rpm) is running near-silent at 10%. The CPU and GPU after playing some fairly intense ninja gaiden were 120F/48C and 109/42C, respectively. Before IGR they may have been hotter by one or two points, but in my view even that is still impressively cool for 10% fan.

So impressive I plan to remake the duct in plastic. Beautiful mod.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

foxinabox wrote:With cardboard duct in my slim I'm seeing an almost 10 degree drop as others have said. So I tested it with 10% fan. ... And I never use 10%. It scares me.

My current bedroom temperature is 75F/23C. My fan (60x25 delta AFB0612EH --- 6800rpm) is running near-silent at 10%. The CPU and GPU after playing some fairly intense ninja gaiden were 120F/48C and 109/42C, respectively. Before IGR they may have been hotter by one or two points, but in my view even that is still impressively cool for 10% fan.

So impressive I plan to remake the duct in plastic. Beautiful mod.
Fantastic, glad to hear it's working well. This mod I think should be on a case to case basis. I've seen some slims run just fine without it, some not.
Debug kit untouched