Soft modded PAL Xbox set to NTSC-M

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
toby1kenobi

Soft modded PAL Xbox set to NTSC-M

Post by toby1kenobi »

I modded by PAL/UK Xbox using Splinter Cell and the Krayzie_SC-PAL_Ndure_Installer_v1.1 - currently it dual boots to either UnleashX or the original MS dash. I Have XBMC4XBOX 3.5.3 in UnleashX's 'Extras' directory and can launch it using the dashboard test option.

Originally UnleashX was set to NTSC-M, which had it kind of windowed in the middle of the screen of my HD tv. I managed to use Enigmah to convince it to display using PAL, although the Extras program still seems to use NTSC-M, as does XBMC4XBOX.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get it to use PAL throughout?

Any help much appreciated!
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: Soft modded PAL Xbox set to NTSC-M

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

You really don't want to do that.

If you use PAL you are dooming yourself to SD (standard definition only). One of the main reasons to softmod a PAL Xbox is to region swap it to NTSC so you can use 480p for most Xbox games and the dash to display at whatever you prefer: 480p, 720p or 1080i. Some games, emulators, homebrew stuff also support 720p and 1080i.

Obviously you need to be using a Component cable for this too.

Any letter or window-boxing is likely due to your TV settings not the Xbox.

Many Xbox games do not support true WS (widescreen) so if you have your TV formating set to Auto even if the Xbox has WS enabled it will often display (correctly) in 4:3. Why it would do this for NTSC and not PAL, as you seem to be saying, I would put down to the TV settings too.
toby1kenobi

Post by toby1kenobi »

Thanks for getting back to me. Ah I didn't know that - so ntsc-m is effectively...better?

I guess I wanted to switch it to pal as I'm in the UK and it's a pal tv (as are all my games, I think). Our TV seems pretty good at normally displaying stuff full screen, but maybe it's doing this because of the ntsc signal? I've used Enigmah to switch it back now, and forced the tv to display 16:9 and it looks fine.
toby1kenobi

Post by toby1kenobi »

Coldly-Indifferent wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:40 am You really don't want to do that.

If you use PAL you are dooming yourself to SD (standard definition only). One of the main reasons to softmod a PAL Xbox is to region swap it to NTSC so you can use 480p for most Xbox games and the dash to display at whatever you prefer: 480p, 720p or 1080i. Some games, emulators, homebrew stuff also support 720p and 1080i.

Obviously you need to be using a Component cable for this too.

Any letter or window-boxing is likely due to your TV settings not the Xbox.

Many Xbox games do not support true WS (widescreen) so if you have your TV formating set to Auto even if the Xbox has WS enabled it will often display (correctly) in 4:3. Why it would do this for NTSC and not PAL, as you seem to be saying, I would put down to the TV settings too.
Thanks, this was good advice - my tv didn't automatically select 16:9, but setting it manually to this once sorted it out.