Softmodding my modchipped xbox

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Saika

Softmodding my modchipped xbox

Post by Saika »

Hi, im new to the forum and the whole xbox modding thing.

I just bought an xbox from a friend of mine, when it boots it says Xecutor2 instead of microsoft and boots into the EvolutionX dashboard.
I was wondering if i can update to another or newer softmod/dashboard even tho it says Xecutor2, if i googled correctly the Xecutor2 means there is a modchip in it.

I appreciate any help i can get

Edit: When i select microsoft dashboard i get an error of some sort
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: Softmodding my modchipped xbox

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

You definitely do not want to softmod the Xbox if the chip is working OK. If it is, burned discs should boot without issue. With a working chip you do not have the same worries as you do with a softmod. Even in the unlikely event something goes wrong with a new dash install on a chipped machine it is no biggy.

The dashboard is easily changed, installer discs like AID and HeXEn come with several alternate main dash options. UnleashX or, obviously since you're here, XBMC are far preferable because they're more up to date and have built in file managers and other features EvoX does not have. EvoX is now best used as an App.

If you want to put in a new larger HDD you can install a dash of your choice during the set up process and if you use the full (chipped) option install it should fix the MS dash 'problem' too.

With an EvoX dash available changing the main dash etc could be done FTP but I suggest finding a HeXEn 2017 or AID v4.53 ISO, burn it to DVD-R with ImgBurn and if the the chip is working OK the disc should boot.

If installing a new or cleaned, used HDD the disc has to be cold booted but it should still boot and then walk you through the set up process. BTW both AID (45 secs) and HeXEn (20+secs) boot very slowly from disc and that's after they've spun up to speed. So do not be worried if it appears to be stuck on the loading or a black screen for that length of time.

The MS dash not loading is not unusual, particularly with EvoX, it is usually simply because the evox.ini (the EvoX dash's configuration file) is either not using the right path or may not include the MS dash option at all.

This is easily fixed with some simple editing.

However it could be the MS dash has been deleted; with a chipped Xbox it should be C:\xboxdash.xbe IF the Xbox has not been mucked about with but you can not be sure of that so do not mess with it at this point. Both those discs include stock files so you can use those to install a MS dash typically in in E:\Apps, E:\Backup or even both. If you put it in the Apps folder its launch XBE should be changed to "default.xbe" or it will not appear in the Apps menu.

If you're using XBMC as your main dash it features a shutdown menu "Dashboard" path. That is a path set via the system settings menus and can be to the MS dash wherever it is located.

BTW do not guess at what a particular XBE launches from its name eg. evoxdash.xbe or xboxdash.xbe. With any modded Xbox the XBEs can be changed and even two identically named XBEs in different locations and may launch entirely different processes.