Error 06 after upgrading hard drive with chimp [SOLVED]

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
CrazyRandomzZ

Error 06 after upgrading hard drive with chimp [SOLVED]

Post by CrazyRandomzZ »

So subject says it all

I have softmodded my xbox everything works fine
The only extra mods I have done is switch from pal to ntsc (for HD output) using enigma and making it permanent with a virtual eeprom. This could be the problem I'm not sure how I did it. Just followed the tutorial and now my console boots ntsc but some of the steps didn't work.

So I purchased a 160gb compatible hard drive. Copied chimp to apps and the Linux file to the root.

Booted chimp. Drive was present as slave. Cloned drive everything so far was worked.
Backed up eeprom with option 10.

Locked slave drive.

Checked status of slave drive: locked. Looks like a winner

Reboot. Replace hard drive.

Boom error 06 (drive cannot be unlocked. locked to another console)

I tried going back into chimp and unlocking the drive with master password. And all other option. Hard drive is Still locked and cannot be formatted or read.
So hard drive seems is a brick now

So I have ordered another compatible drive. Just don't won't to run into the same problem.

Has my switching from pal to ntsc caused an issue? Something to do with a virtual eeprom maybe? I don't know. This is the second one I have done using this method. Worked perfectly.
The only veritable is one one hasn't switched region and one has.

Anybody run into something similar? And confirm my problem and a possible solution.
Last edited by CrazyRandomzZ on Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocky5

Re: Error 06 after upgrading hard drive with chimp

Post by Rocky5 »

Drive has a corrupted firmware or the area where the lock info is stored. I could never unlock the drive, no matter what I tried. ( PC unlock software the works )

I have had two drive do this with Chimp & Configmagic, luckily they were old 10GB Xbox drives.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
CrazyRandomzZ

Post by CrazyRandomzZ »

Rocky5 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:19 pm Drive has a corrupted firmware or the area where the lock info is stored. I could never unlock the drive, no matter what I tried. ( PC unlock software the works )

I have had two drive do this with Chimp & Configmagic, luckily they were old 10GB Xbox drives.
Thanks for the info. So it wasn't necessarily something I did wrong and a second drive should work. If I run into the same problem on the new drive I'll update this post. Thanks for your help.
CrazyRandomzZ

Post by CrazyRandomzZ »

CrazyRandomzZ wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:45 pm
Rocky5 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:19 pm Drive has a corrupted firmware or the area where the lock info is stored. I could never unlock the drive, no matter what I tried. ( PC unlock software the works )

Thanks for the info. So it wasn't necessarily something I did wrong and a second drive should work. If I run into the same problem on the new drive I'll update this post. Thanks for your help.
Ok so got my second drive and can confirm it was due to a faulty drive.

This one worked flawless and managed to get everything setup within 15 mins Excellent.