Flashed the wrong bios :(

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
CoffeeBreak

Flashed the wrong bios :(

Post by CoffeeBreak »

Hi all,
I think I fu**ed my xbox :(

My xbox is chipped with Aladdin XT, and was running m8plus.fc.137.bin bios from the HeXen 2017 disk. Some days ago I installed a 500GB HDD with SATA2IDE adapter, and I started noticing that from time to time during boot I was getting ERROR 07.
So I googled and i found that this is due to the slow SATA2IDE adapter, and can be avoided slowing down the boot process.
Somebody suggested me to use the IND bios instead of the m8plus, so I booted again the HeXen 2017 disk and flashed the IND bios (256k with only F:).
Result: my xbox is dead. Black screen at boot.

Is there anything I can do? maybe removing the Aladdin XT chip?

EDIT: I disabled the Aladdin XT chip (removed BT point from ground) and the MS Dash starts! Now... is there any way to reset the Aladdin XT flash?
CoffeeBreak

Re: Flashed the wrong bios :(

Post by CoffeeBreak »

Quentindray74 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:09 pm Hello!
I need more informations,
When you turn your chip on,
Does the XBOX turns on, then turns off, then turns on with the green light flashing? and turns off, THEN finally turns on with green/red cycle flashing leds?
If it's true, then, your ModCuhip is dead, what you can do is to TSOP your XBOX which is Risky,
I've got a 1.1 XBOX TSOPPED which works very Fine with IND-BIOS 5003 for F & G, so, if you need help, I'm here.
Another Question, What is your XBOX version?
Hello,
my xbox is ver 1.1, and when i turn it on with the chip enabled, it stay in blackscreen forever. No reboot, no shutdown, no flashing lights. It is powered on but in coma.
tim619

Post by tim619 »

Some years ago I had the same problem. I remembered that my xbox was still softmodded (and hdd locked!), so I cut the wire to D0 and everything worked.
Before doing this I thought about removing the memory chip from the modchip (it was possbile without soldering), but it was to much work for me.
If your hdd is not locked you could try to desolder and replace the chip or replace the memory on the chip with preflashed one or similar.

EDIT:
I now read that you did the same.
I was also wondering if it's possbile to make the chip work again. Maybe it could be possible by hotflashing using a switch.
You let it off while starting and when you are in the menu to flash, you turn the chip on using the switch. But that's just an idea.
Hodge92

Post by Hodge92 »

I'm suffering with this problem too from using HeXEn 2017. Same symptoms as you :(
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Ind-bios looks on the HDD for ind-bios.cfg on the root of C. This happens right at the beginning of the boot process so it has to wait for the HDD to initialise. Normally you would see text on the screen.

What adaptor and what IDE cable are you using? as is mandatory to use an 80 wire IDE cable with all SATA adaptors, regardless of whether they work with the default IDE cable or not. ( there are issue down the line )
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Hodge92

Post by Hodge92 »

Except I flashed a M8 256kb bios but I still get the same results. Any ideas?
Sieger179

Post by Sieger179 »

I think you can solve this problem by booting a hacked bios from a different chip and swapping out the chip before you flash it. It might even work with a softmod.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Yep you can do a chip hotswap and flash but the d0 point has to stay connected on both chips to get it to work.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

Nextelhalo wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:02 am Yep you can do a chip hotswap and flash but the d0 point has to stay connected on both chips to get it to work.
You don't need to have d0 attached to the modchip once the Xbox booted from LPC. D0 tampering is only useful at boot(or reset), when MCPX determines if it should fetch the BIOS from TSOP or LPC. Once that step passed in the boot process, and MCPX determine it must use LPC bus, it disconnects itself from the ISA bus, the bus on which the TSOP is interfaced to the MCPX.

To pull a successful modchip hotswap, you either need to have the d0 interfaced on the modchip you boot from only or have d0 tied to ground on the motherboard. I find the latter more convenient. Just tuck the d0 wire under the nearest motherboard mounting screw for the duration of the manipulation.

EDIT: On 1.6/1.6(b), you need to have LFRAME interfaced at all time contrary to previous revisions. But you can still tie the LFRAME/D0 wire to a ground point the Xbox motherboard for the duration of the manipulation; just like on earlier Xbox revisions.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Quentindray74 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:09 pmIf it's true, then, your ModCuhip is dead, what you can do is to TSOP your XBOX which is Risky
TSOP flashing isn't that risky. If you've got a decent soldering iron and haven't been drinking too much coffee that day, then it should be a breeze to bridge the solder points and throw in HeXeN to flash a new BIOS. Since modchips are getting harder to find these days, TSOP-flashing is my preferred choice personally for all stock Xboxes I come across (that aren't v1.6).

Looks like OP posted 5 months ago and hasn't been back since, so it's probably a moot point now. :lol:
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Hmmm now I'm confused. They way I understood it and have always done has been booting with the d0 connected to both chips. I've always booted with a good chip with d0 connected to it and the chip I was going to flash then once the box was booted and I loaded up a flash utility I would swap the chips and flash away. I was under the impression that d0 had to be on the chip for it to work and be flashable, am I wrong here? This is under the assumption your using two chips and not a chip and TSOP to accomplish the goal.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
Debug kit untouched
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

Nextelhalo wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:43 am I've always booted with a good chip with d0 connected to it and the chip......
only the original chip you boot from needs the D0 connected it is just to get it to boot, after that you can just stick in the second chip and flash it you dont need to have it connected to D0.

the 1.6 is the exception but you can just stick it under a screw.
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Well hell guess I've been making it harder for myself all these years, oh well still learing. Thanks PJ
Debug kit untouched