Ludvigs Xboxes, WIP and finished results (until next mod :p)

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
LudviG

Ludvigs Xboxes, WIP and finished results (until next mod :p)

Post by LudviG »

Figured I would make a post, and show my Xboxes and modding I do to them.

Starting off with a 1.1, it is in for a major overhaul.

Started off today with removing it from the case and starting with cleaning, changing the thermal compound on both CPU and GPU.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent fra min NX551J via Tapatalk

Never argue with an idiot! First he brings you down to his level, then he beats you with experience.
LudviG

Re: Ludvigs Xboxes, WIP and finished results (until next mod :p)

Post by LudviG »

The case is a bit rough, so I decided to swap the case from an faulty Crystal Xbox i have. I will do a 80mm fan mod and some light mods on this. The plan is a green jewel, and green lights under the jewel. The thing I am not sure about yet, is if I shall keep the shield in the lid, remove and show the internals or remove it and black out the internals. (black hdd, black dvd rom, all other gaps covered with black plastic and wires routed under the hdd and dvd trays. Like my other ghostcase crystal. See pics) What do you guys think? ImageImageImageImage

Never argue with an idiot! First he brings you down to his level, then he beats you with experience.
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Removed everything from the crystal case, and gave the plastic and metal parts a good clean :)

Also removed the clock cap, no sign of any leaks.

ImageImage

LudviG

Post by LudviG »

After that it was one for a 80mm fan. Started with removing the clips holding the stock fan, and cutting down the fan to fit in the space. I also cut the hdd tray. After several cuts I finally got it to fit pretty snug, just to realise that it hit the plastic on the side of the power connector. So I trimmed the fan a bit more, and also cut off a bit of the plastic on the connector on the psu. When I was happy with the fit, I made holes in the metal to fasten the fan, cleaned up the cuts. A final test fit, and I was happy with the results. The pictures show the progress. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Did a test run on the Xbox after fan mod and clock cap removal, and I got this weird sound that seems to come from the psu may it be a sign that it will fail soon? Could it be other stuff?

Also both my extra dvd drives failed on this Xbox, can't read the discs. Sometimes I get unknown disc in dvd2xbox, sometimes I just hear the laser moving. Could this be linked to a failing PSU? I am pretty sure at least one of these dvd drives where working.

LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Went on and mounted diodes under a new green jewel. Thought the result was pretty decent myself. Wiring not finished, but tried the diodes to see how it looked :) ImageImageImageImageImage

PhobosDevourer

Post by PhobosDevourer »

that looks pretty awesome man!
good job!
Hodge92

Post by Hodge92 »

Where do you get the Shell from? I need that in my life! Looks amazing man
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

PhobosDevourer wrote:that looks pretty awesome man!
good job!
Thanks, I am happy with it too. One of the diodes are acting up though, so may redo it. Maybe with a few less diodes, it got very bright like it is now (6 diodes)

LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Hodge92 wrote:Where do you get the Shell from? I need that in my life! Looks amazing man
This is a standard crystal case, with green jewel and green lights. I also have a ghostcase Xbox. It will come in this thread later.

PhobosDevourer

Post by PhobosDevourer »

When I do ewels i go super lazy and just add a tiny led strip all around tbh, it is bright, but I set them behind tvs :)
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

The crystal/green one is now given the name "The Hulk".

LudviG

Post by LudviG »

I started a bit of work on "The Pink Devil" today.

Mods done to this box earlier:
-"mod inside" jewel with pink leds
-80mm fan
-silent gpu fan
-new thermal paste
-softmod
-bigger hdd

It was originally a US Xbox, so I used a 220v to 110v converter. Since the step down converter started acting up, I decided it was just as cheap to change to a 220v psu. So I was going to change this, do a clean up and remove the clock cap.

The only challenge to this was that I needed to cut the 80mm fan even more with the "new" psu (got it an more good stuff from N64 freak).

The clock cap hadn't leaked, it was just dirty underneath.

I also updated the softmod to rocky5 latest, installed xbmc4gamers, nulled hdd key and started to set it up for my Xbox for original games.

Added pictures at the end, since Tapatalk don't let me at put the pictures within the text.

Further for this box is probably trying the controller port light mode with pink leds just to make a bit cooler. I may also try the power/eject light mod.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Last edited by LudviG on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Now I am at a loss. The Pink one suddenly died while I was looking at settings in xbmc4gamers. It gets power, power down after few second. Then power on again and start to flash red and green. No picture on the tellie.....

What could it be?

Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

So the Xbox frags ( flash’s red and green ) that topical a hardware issue of some kind.

So the GPU could have died, or the southbridge eg...

Unless you can see a fault it’s a dud Xbox. Try changing IDE cables and dives eg..
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Rocky5 wrote:So the Xbox frags ( flash’s red and green ) that topical a hardware issue of some kind.

Unless you can see a fault it’s a dud Xbox. Try changing IDE cables and dives eg..
That sounds typical after actually putting some work into it Image I will try changing stuff then, when I find the time again.

LudviG

Post by LudviG »

LudviG wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:08 am
Rocky5 wrote:So the Xbox frags ( flash’s red and green ) that topical a hardware issue of some kind.

That sounds typical after actually putting some work into it Image I will try changing stuff then, when I find the time again.

I got back at work, and got the time to look at this one. And now it boots, and works. I will try to use it a bit now and see if it works after some use too. Either way, this is weird.
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

Got 2 new Xboxes, and some other goodies in a lot. Both are chipped (supposed to be Xecuter2 in both) these are the first working chipped one I got, so will make an thread with question on how to get them up to date, and post the WIP in this thread.

Both worked when seller sent them, but 1 get the service screen when I boot now. I fear it has gotten beaten up in transit. I will see if I can get up and running again. Both got stuck dvd drives ofc.

I also got 3 controllers. 1 duke, 1 small and one logitech wireless. Another one with stick and trigger issues. Maybe I can get this one to work properly?

Ms scart cable, Ms HD kit, monster component and a xcm multiconsole component one. Haven't tried any of these yet.

Also got 2 unused controller extensions and a Hitachi ide drive.

The box that boots seems to have a 60gb hdd in it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

xman

Post by xman »

Check the chip is still fully in it's socket on the non booting machine.

Check the DO wire is in place.

If that doesn't help, resolder the pins.

If that doesn't help resolder the socket.

If that doesn't help your chip has dropped it's content.

Solution, boot any modded Xbox and once booted insert the faulty modchip while the machine is still ON and you "must connect the DO wire"

Insert a Xbox build disc and reflash the faulty modchip bios.

Turn machine off once done and swap the modchip back over.

Duox modchips do this "drop there guts" regularly. Better using a simple Alladin. Once they are setup properly they never fail.
LudviG

Post by LudviG »

xman wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:22 am Check the chip is still fully in it's socket on the non booting machine.

Check the DO wire is in place.

If that doesn't help, resolder the pins.

If that doesn't help resolder the socket.

If that doesn't help your chip has dropped it's content.

Solution, boot any modded Xbox and once booted insert the faulty modchip while the machine is still ON and you "must connect the DO wire"

Insert a Xbox build disc and reflash the faulty modchip bios.

Turn machine off once done and swap the modchip back over.

Duox modchips do this "drop there guts" regularly. Better using a simple Alladin. Once they are setup properly they never fail.
I'll look at that xbox soon. I hope it is an easy fix, with no soldering. I am i dire need of a proper soldering iron, the ones I got are all cheap ones that are best for...... well actually nothing.....

What is DO wire? I think i know what wire it is, but why is it called DO?