Quick Softmod question

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
apachehavok

Quick Softmod question

Post by apachehavok »

Hey all!!

So I have a softmodded crystal 1.6B. Have a working 500GB upgrade on it and the original drive safe and sound. I did this mod SOOOOO long ago that I forgot if I backed up my eeprom.

The hard drive works fine but starting to click (hey its like 10 years old so its expected!)

I see here there is a nice little new package made by a awesome dude named Rocky 5!

I have the softmod evolution dash currently and the 500gb filled to the brim. Not caring about the games (I can re throw them back on), how can I "upgrade" to this new Rocky5 mod?

Do I just burn his ISO to a disk and run the upgrade? Wont ruin anything?

From there, I am interested in unlocking the drive "nulling it" so when this thing finally craps out, I can just throw a new one in? How can I achieve this?

Thanks a ton!!!!
Rocky5

Re: Quick Softmod question

Post by Rocky5 »

Download the quick upgrade.zip instead.

Sig > Build v1.1.2 > Installer Variants > Quick Upgrade.zip
Instructions are included in the zip.

Then after its upgraded, head to Applications > NKPatcher Settings > EEPROM > Advanced Features > Null HDD Key
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
apachehavok

Post by apachehavok »

Hey Rocky!!

So, I am a complete noob when it comes to original xbox. Ps3/360 no prob, this is a tad out of my realm haha.

Can you FTP into a softmodded xbox or is that for chips only?

Run the default.xbe located in the "E:\Quick Upgrade\" folder How does one run specify an xbe to run? (I see there is a disk method as well, is that the same thing? Might be easier as my router is not in the same room as the xbox :)

This will keep everything on the xbox right? Just upgrade it to your awesomesauce?

Thanks Rocky, you well.... ROCK!!
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Yes you can FTP to a softmodded Xbox, it’s now how the systems modded that allows FTP access its the dashboard that’s loaded that does.

Just download the ISO from the extras disc folder and burn it to a DVD-R with imgburn. You can then load that in your modded Xbox and run the upgraded from the Advanced Features menu.

The only requirement is that there is at least 30MB of free space on the E partition, but you can see the space when the disc loads on the right hand side of the screen.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
apachehavok

Post by apachehavok »

Awesome Rocky that helps a ton.

My current 1.6 wont power on (already replaced the transistor) I have some popped caps so I am hoping that's it.

If for whatever reason I cant fix it and have to replace the mobo and HDD, is there a way to unlock the current 500gb HDD I have in there if I dont have my epprom backed up so I can use it on a new mobo?

Thanks a ton Rocky!
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Hopefully your HDD has the master password set, if so you can unlock it.

Chimp or xboxhdm 1.9 should be able to unlock the drive via the master password.

Really you should have had the eeprom.bin backed up. But I guess we all learn the hard way.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
apachehavok

Post by apachehavok »

Oh absolutely!

I have backups of my backups. Problem is I did it SOOOO long ago I forgot where the heck I put it haha.

My eventual goal is to have the xbox to the point where the HDD key is nulled so if the HDD ever goes bad (which they always do) I can pop in a brand new one. 3 more questions if you dont mind.

- With xboxhdm 1.9, can I use a modern computer with a SATA to IDE adaptor to read the drive on a PC?
- Once I have everything working and the HDD nulled, what is the procedure for replacing it with a new one once the drive goes bad?
- With the nulled flash, can you install any hard drive now, or does it still have to be a comparable model number? I was thinking about just starting over and using a much bigger SATA drive.

You are the best Rocky, thank you so much for all this great info!!
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

apachehavok wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:24 pm Oh absolutely!

I have backups of my backups. Problem is I did it SOOOO long ago I forgot where the heck I put it haha.

My eventual goal is to have the xbox to the point where the HDD key is nulled so if the HDD ever goes bad (which they always do) I can pop in a brand new one. 3 more questions if you dont mind.

- With xboxhdm 1.9, can I use a modern computer with a SATA to IDE adaptor to read the drive on a PC?

not that I’m aware of, it may work.

- Once I have everything working and the HDD nulled, what is the procedure for replacing it with a new one once the drive goes bad?

Chimp on the Xbox or xboxhdm to build a new one.

- With the nulled flash, can you install any hard drive now, or does it still have to be a comparable model number? I was thinking about just starting over and using a much bigger SATA drive.

yes, you can just put a new HDD in locked to a null key and you’re good to go.

You are the best Rocky, thank you so much for all this great info!!
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
apachehavok

Post by apachehavok »

Does it always require putting the original hard drive back in to copy it over with Chimp?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

apachehavok wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:48 pm Does it always require putting the original hard drive back in to copy it over with Chimp?
Unless you build the new drive with XboxHDM then yes it requires chimp.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
apachehavok

Post by apachehavok »

Hey Rocky!

SO GOT THE XBOX WORKING AGAIN!! YAY!

At first I thought it was that pesky transistor (common on 1.6 units) but after replacing it, it still would not boot. Noticed some poppped caps, replaced em and bam powers right on!!

Would you be so kind as to verify some info please?

So my plan for tonight is to burn your bonus disk, pop it in, run the "Upgrade" and everything should still be there, just on your software correct?

Then null the HDD (which nulls the mobo AND the HDD correct)

My last question is for the future. So the HDD dies. Xbox does not boot anymore. I pop in a new HDD. Do I need to rerun the softmod or can I boot off the chimp disk? Thats the only part I am confused with. Assume I dont have a PC with a native IDE anymore so I have to use chimp.

Thanks dude you are amazing!!!
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Everything you said is correct.

Once you install the softmod or if you’re already softmodded you can skip the disc and use the test build of v1.1.3.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzRN8 ... WMzV0dRMzA
Instructions are included in the zip.

Now:
You will need to lock the drive if your current one ever dies.

You can use a windows PC and a USB to SATA or IDE converter and XboxHDM23 to build and lock a new drive to a nulled eeprom key.
( it runs under windows and doesn’t require using usb pens or disc eg... )
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
apachehavok

Post by apachehavok »

Awesome Rocky!

So just want to clarify. I hope you enjoy talking about this stuff haha. You are the current EXPERT in this great scene :)

So xbox HDD dies. Caput. Xbox powers on but wont turn on due to dead HDD.

I can literally setup a new HDD (SATA) in windows using that program and just make sure the key is set to all zeroes and lock it? (will be using the green IDE to SATA drive adapter you have on your video once in the xbox) Do you need the backup epprom that is nulled or is there a manual way to enter it?

Your HDD nuller actually modifies the key on the actual eeprom on the actual mobo on the xbox right? So its actually a permanent mod to the mobo correct?

Now that I have ya... Whats the best way to stream xbox games over a network? Does your dash support that?

Again, thanks so much Rocky, you are THE absolute expert authority here!
apachehavok

Post by apachehavok »

apachehavok wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:44 pm Awesome Rocky!

So just want to clarify. I hope you enjoy talking about this stuff haha. You are the current EXPERT in this great scene :)

So xbox HDD dies. Caput. Xbox powers on but wont turn on due to dead HDD.

I can literally setup a new HDD (SATA) in windows using that program and just make sure the key is set to all zeroes and lock it? (will be using the green IDE to SATA drive adapter you have on your video once in the xbox) Do you need the backup epprom that is nulled or is there a manual way to enter it?

Your HDD nuller actually modifies the key on the actual eeprom on the actual mobo on the xbox right? So its actually a permanent mod to the mobo correct? It works on a 1.6b mobo?

Now that I have ya... Whats the best way to stream xbox games over a network? Does your dash support that?

Again, thanks so much Rocky, you are THE absolute expert authority here!
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Yes it’s a permanent edit.

Also there is no way to stream games over a network, never has been never will be.

Some emulators support it though but that’s because the roms are tiny and fit in ram.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
ochentay4

Post by ochentay4 »

Great thread guys, didnt know you could null the key on the mb so you can pop in a standard hard drive.
apachehavok

Post by apachehavok »

Thanks for all this great info Rocky!

So great news. Last night I was able to use your extras disk to run the udpate. Went SMOOOOOOOTH.

Booted back into the now white dash and ran the HDD nuller. FTP'd into the box and grabbed the eeprom backup and the txt file that comes with it verified that it was all zeroes!! YAY!!!

So the last 3 things to do are

A - Install xmbc as an app (I like being able to see box art and the like. How do you have yours setup? Really just looking for a nice clean xbox only game setup but have never setup xbmc on xbox before)
B - Use your scripts to launch the certain problem games on my wonderful 1.6 lol (thanks for the amazing scripts!)

and C... Get the windows based HDD builder working. Is there a specific enclosure to use? I tried running it and listed the drives but it didnt list any.I had it plugged into a USB 3 port so Im guessing that might have something to do with it... Whats the best way for the thing to show up in windows?

Thanks again!!!!!
apachehavok

Post by apachehavok »

Man I have tried everything. Different enclosures, different cables. For the life of me I cannot get any USB hdd to recognize in zboxhdm23usb

I run xboxhd.bat and try select 1 to scan for HDD's and nothing. Tried different ports.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!!