Softmod with Chimp

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Tunnan29F

Softmod with Chimp

Post by Tunnan29F »

Hey, im new here, seems to be the only forum alive regarding og xbox (modding) ?

I have recently softmodded an original xbox (pre 1.6) with Ndure using xboxhdm. I succeeded installing a larger HDD after the softmod aswell, keeping the factory hdd with softmod as a backup (10gb drive).

Softmod of the original HDD went well using ndure/xboxhdm, using this great guide http://www.xpgamesaves.com/threads/tut- ... box.43304/

I then, as the guide explains, tried to exchange to a bigger HDD, having done exactly as the guide says, the larger HDD booted to the original MS Dash.
Instead i i cloned the factory drive softmod with Chimp using the hdd swap method with the xbox itself, this succeeded. Now i wonder how and what, cause in xboxhdm, i locked the drive with the eeprom from the xbox, during this proces a master password was created XBOXSCENE. After failing to boot anything other then the MS dash, i unlocked the hdd using xboxhdm again.
After that i tried with Chimp, cloning the hdd to the new larger one. CHimp came with the options to lock with eeprom or master password, since i wasnt sure the directory was pointing to the right file, i choose to lock with the master password, which i think chimp gave the options XBOXSCENE and some other password. I choose XBOXSCENE and locked the drive.

All is running well, but since its about 15 years ago doing all this, its like all new to me with xbox modding, have i done the right thing? Yes xbox is up and running, but for my next project, was it right. And did i permanently lock the drive? :P

I also wonder why only cloning using chimp did the job, and not as the linked tutorial explained, the guide worked for softmodding but not installing larger hdd.

Another thing, when the xbox boots its near silent, then unleash boots and its very loud, in settings its on 1.0x speed, i cant seem to lower it to the xbox default?

Thanks for your help :D
Rocky5

Re: Softmod with Chimp

Post by Rocky5 »

If the drive is working you done everything fine and you don’t need to worry about it.

Now as for your fan soead issue it’s SID softmod that does it, it sets the fan speed to 100% for some daft reason.

Latest softmod and best softmod.
https://github.com/Rocky5/Xbox-Softmodd ... /README.md
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Tunnan29F

Post by Tunnan29F »

Hey thanks for answering,

On this link: https://github.com/Rocky5/Xbox-Softmodding-Tool
Do i just click on clone/download all those files and make an iso of them?
Im intrested in installing this softmod, i have already softmodded mine with Ndure/hdm and now have unleashx, but if the Rocky5 is better id like that. Can i just install from an ISO, without doing all this HDD swapping again? :P

Thanks again
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Tunnan29F wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:30 pm Hey thanks for answering,

Im intrested in installing this softmod, i have already softmodded mine with Ndure/hdm and now have unleashx, but if the Rocky5 is better id like that. Can i just install from an ISO, without doing all this HDD swapping again? :P

Thanks again
The link in my signature will take you to pre built versions, since you’re already softmodded you can use the Quick Upgrade.zip or you can download the extras disc iso and use it from the HDD. ( look in the documents folder next to the iso for instructions on how to run it from the HDD, use the F partition )

Upgrading older softmods

No you don’t need to do anything with your HDD.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Tunnan29F

Post by Tunnan29F »

Ok thanks going to try when i downloaded the files, is it possible to do a complete reinstall with a softmod (erase hdd via the iso and install) or only upgrade?
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Re: the UnleashX fan issue:-

If you change the speed of the fan up (or down I think) and then save the fan will immediately go to full speed 100%. An annoying quirk, I thought, was a general UnleashX issue not due to the softmod.

Simple rebooting does not work. You have to Shutdown completely and restart and then it should reset to the chosen new speed.

If it is not then could this be a protected Shadow C/Eeprom issue? In that case you'd have to disable it temporarily to fix the new fan speed just like you have to do if you want to change the resolution.
Tunnan29F

Post by Tunnan29F »

Yes i know, but the standard 1.0x speed is way to high, its very loud and annoying. I cant seem to go lower then 1.0x, even if i save with 1.0x and reboot, same problem when unleashx loads.
It must be unleashx, as when i start the xbox its near silent, when unleashx dash boots then the fan speed goes up.
Tunnan29F

Post by Tunnan29F »

Rocky5 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:51 am
Tunnan29F wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:30 pm Hey thanks for answering,

Thanks again
The link in my signature will take you to pre built versions, since you’re already softmodded you can use the Quick Upgrade.zip or you can download the extras disc iso and use it from the HDD. ( look in the documents folder next to the iso for instructions on how to run it from the HDD, use the F partition )

Upgrading older softmods

No you don’t need to do anything with your HDD.
I know am posting again but, is there any difference on going the quick upgrade.zip way or the 1.1GB extras disc way in my case?
I will need to run both off the HDD but the extras disc is 1.1GB and quick upgrade 7.7mb.
Tunnan29F

Post by Tunnan29F »

Ok now i have upgraded using the Quick Upgrade.zip. First quuestion is, during the installation progress it said 'updating eeprom', has the installation done something to the xboxes eeprom? I wonder cause i have backed up and locked my current drive with the eeprom before i did the quick upgrade.

Some games dont start anymore or give a blackscreen when coming to the menu, i tried 'Clear Cache' to no avail. Do i need to delete and copy new game back?
With filezilla, i cant seem to access the FTP anymore, seeing some weird folders that cant be accessed, i remember reading that it was filezillas fault.

Xbox is now near silent and the rocky5 mod is much better then the old one i had, thanks alot for the suggestion :)

Edit: i fixed the FTP with coreftp. Strangely enough, the only game not working is counter strike for xbox, deleting it and its savegames and copy a new counter strike over FTP didnt help, when starting the game, intro loads, coming to the menu theres no picture but the menu music is hearable. Could it be incompatible with latest softmods?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Tunnan29F wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:35 pm Ok now i have upgraded using the Quick Upgrade.zip. First quuestion is, during the installation progress it said 'updating eeprom', has the installation done something to the xboxes eeprom? I wonder cause i have backed up and locked my current drive with the eeprom before i did the quick upgrade.

Some games dont start anymore or give a blackscreen when coming to the menu, i tried 'Clear Cache' to no avail. Do i need to delete and copy new game back?
With filezilla, i cant seem to access the FTP anymore, seeing some weird folders that cant be accessed, i remember reading that it was filezillas fault.

Xbox is now near silent and the rocky5 mod is much better then the old one i had, thanks alot for the suggestion :)

Edit: i fixed the FTP with coreftp. Strangely enough, the only game not working is counter strike for xbox, deleting it and its savegames and copy a new counter strike over FTP didnt help, when starting the game, intro loads, coming to the menu theres no picture but the menu music is hearable. Could it be incompatible with latest softmods?
Try this, head to “NKPatcher Setting > EEPROM > Advanced Features > Persistent Softmod” pick disable. Try counter strike now.
( it should matter but it forces the system to English )

If that doesn’t fix it re-enable persistent softmod and patch the game with DVD2Xbox. It’s been a long time since I tried CS, so I can also test it at my end and get back to you on how I fair.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Tunnan29F

Post by Tunnan29F »

I will try later, is it any risk to eeprom?
Can you answer about this, during the quick-upgrade.zip installation progress it said 'updating eeprom', has the installation done something to the xboxes eeprom there? I wonder cause i have the factory hdd (10GB) as a backup with the eeprom before i did the upgrade softmod. Would be nice knowing its still the same eeprom as before :P

I noticed its you that created the rocky5 softmod, great job on the softmod its better then others ive had and easy setups :D
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Tunnan29F wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:20 pm I will try later, is it any risk to eeprom?
Can you answer about this, during the quick-upgrade.zip installation progress it said 'updating eeprom', has the installation done something to the xboxes eeprom there? I wonder cause i have the factory hdd (10GB) as a backup with the eeprom before i did the upgrade softmod. Would be nice knowing its still the same eeprom as before :P

I noticed its you that created the rocky5 softmod, great job on the softmod its better then others ive had and easy setups :D
Don’t worry about th eeprom, it doesn’t touch the hdd key. I enable the persistent softmod, that’s what you see when it updates the eeprom.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Tunnan29F

Post by Tunnan29F »

Rocky5 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:54 pm
Tunnan29F wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:20 pm I will try later, is it any risk to eeprom?

Don’t worry about th eeprom, it doesn’t touch the hdd key. I enable the persistent softmod, that’s what you see when it updates the eeprom.
Ok so now i tried disable persistent softmod, with the persistent softmod disabled, Counter Strike launches correctly.
Just some things i wonder, do you recommend having persistent softmod enabled or disabled? Is there more risk having it enabled or disabled?
Then i had some troubles with the xbox, didnt touch it for a day, started it, and the screen was 'flickering', couldnt read any text, but im leaning towards it is my TV related, almost sure of that, but the other xbox (hardmodded) didnt do this :P Anyways i succeeded starting your softmod tool, just exited it and problems where gone. On the other xbox the TV flickers abit too but not as much (same for PC) so im quit certain its time for a new TV.

When i started quick-upgrade.zip, the xbox just goes black screen (was thinking of doing a new with the flickering), Should it be like that cause its allready upgraded?

NULL HDD key question also, i found that option, anything you recommend i do, is it better to prevent problems?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Tunnan29F wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:23 pmOk so now i tried disable persistent softmod, with the persistent softmod disabled, Counter Strike launches correctly.
Just some things i wonder, do you recommend having persistent softmod enabled or disabled? Is there more risk having it enabled or disabled?
Then i had some troubles with the xbox, didnt touch it for a day, started it, and the screen was 'flickering', couldnt read any text, but im leaning towards it is my TV related, almost sure of that, but the other xbox (hardmodded) didnt do this :P Anyways i succeeded starting your softmod tool, just exited it and problems where gone. On the other xbox the TV flickers abit too but not as much (same for PC) so im quit certain its time for a new TV.

if you really want to play counterstrike leave it disabled other wise it’s up to you if you want enable it or not.

The screen flickering haven’t a clue, it’s not the softmod that causes it. Disable 480p if you’re using a CRT.
( hold Back when booting the Xbox until the dashboard loads )

When i started quick-upgrade.zip, the xbox just goes black screen (was thinking of doing a new with the flickering), Should it be like that cause its allready upgraded?

you shouldn’t need to start anything, you just FTP over the Quick Upgrade or update folder to E and restart the Xbox. But like above it’s not needed and won’t fix your flickering issues as it’s not a softmod issue.

NULL HDD key question also, i found that option, anything you recommend i do, is it better to prevent problems?

Yes, do it. It will protect you in the long run with that Xbox. If your drive ever dies and you don’t have the eeprom backed up you are fine as the key is all zeros.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Tunnan29F

Post by Tunnan29F »

Rocky5 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:04 pm
Tunnan29F wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:23 pmOk so now i tried disable persistent softmod, with the persistent softmod disabled, Counter Strike launches correctly.

if you really want to play counterstrike leave it disabled other wise it’s up to you if you want enable it or not.

The screen flickering haven’t a clue, it’s not the softmod that causes it. Disable 480p if you’re using a CRT.
( hold Back when booting the Xbox until the dashboard loads )

you shouldn’t need to start anything, you just FTP over the Quick Upgrade or update folder to E and restart the Xbox. But like above it’s not needed and won’t fix your flickering issues as it’s not a softmod issue.

Yes, do it. It will protect you in the long run with that Xbox. If your drive ever dies and you don’t have the eeprom backed up you are fine as the key is all zeros.
Ok, is it the EEPROM on the xbox itself that gets NULLED? Nice feature if its that way!
Easier/how to install a new HDD that way i assume.

Ok, persisistent softmod, i read abit about it but whats the pros and cons?

Thanks for answering
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Yes it’s the eeprom key that gets nulled and it locked your HDD to this new key.

https://github.com/Rocky5/Xbox-Softmodd ... nt-softmod
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Tunnan29F

Post by Tunnan29F »

OK i think il do that, i have a backup HDD for the softmodded xbox, with the HDDkey/eeprom locked, i think i wont be able to use them as backup drives anymore then? :P
Or can i unlock them with the new eeprom.bin file with xboxhdm via a pc with IDE?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

No you would need to unlock your backup drives first, then null the key and lock them to the new key.

The nuller is ideally meant to be used before upgrading drives.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Tunnan29F

Post by Tunnan29F »

Okej im understanding now, anyhow, im only able to do it to one hdd, as nulling with one of the HDDs the xbox will allready be nulled.
Situation is, i have two HDD's but can only null one of them first, so the other one cant be nulled with the xbox cause its allready another key.

Only thing i can thinkoff i can do is unlocking the backup drive with the old eeprom via a PC/IDE connection with xboxhdm and lock it with a new nulled eeprom?
The softmodded xbox i can just do via NK application it is just to NULL it.

Im planning doing the same to my hardmodded (modchip) xbox, there its no problem cause the HDDs are allready unlocked, but for safetey might the modchip die off.

Thank you for helping me out :D
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Tunnan29F wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:52 pm Okej im understanding now, anyhow, im only able to do it to one hdd, as nulling with one of the HDDs the xbox will allready be nulled.
Situation is, i have two HDD's but can only null one of them first, so the other one cant be nulled with the xbox cause its allready another key.

Only thing i can thinkoff i can do is unlocking the backup drive with the old eeprom via a PC/IDE connection with xboxhdm and lock it with a new nulled eeprom?
The softmodded xbox i can just do via NK application it is just to NULL it.

Im planning doing the same to my hardmodded (modchip) xbox, there its no problem cause the HDDs are allready unlocked, but for safetey might the modchip die off.

Thank you for helping me out :D
you can do that yes, but if you have Chimp you can us the Xbox to do it all. You would put your backup drive in the xbox and unlock it via UnleashX settings menu. Settings > Storage > Unlock HDD you would then take it out and put your new drive ( current one ) in the xbox and null the key like you were going to do.

Now you can use chimp to lock the backup drive to that xbox eeprom like you would if you were cloning it. Or you can do what you said if that's simpler for you.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5