110v to 240v conversion Halo edition 1.2 Xbox

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
jazzycian

110v to 240v conversion Halo edition 1.2 Xbox

Post by jazzycian »

Hi, I have just purchased a halo edition Xbox which I believe are only NTSC and 110v. I am in Ireland and want to be able to plug it in to 240v. Being a halo edition I think these are all version 1.2. Wondering if many have experience doing this conversion? Is there possibly a 240v tap and a 110v tap on the transformer that I can change or am I looking at swapping out the power supply for a 240v one? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Also is there anything I should watch out for with the halo edition? I will be replacing the clock cap with a 4.7F 2.5v super capacitor, Aladdin XT chip, 80 conductor ide cable, startech adapter with a 2TB seagate 3.5 barracuda. I am very comfortable with electronics and soldering, I just have not received the console yet so haven't put eyes on the actual power supply yet. The console seems in good condition except one LED is gone around the power button and the sticks are very worn on the halo controller, both of these things I can fix. Any advise regarding the halo edition, converting to 240v or the 1.2 - 1.5 (I believe these are the same) power supplies in general would be greatly appreciated once again. This is my first post here (long time reader) but I have good technical background so hopefully I can be of help to someone in the future.
MrMajst3r

Re: 110v to 240v conversion Halo edition 1.2 Xbox

Post by MrMajst3r »

Firstly check your Xbox revision. Halo editions are 1.2 or 1.6. The simpliest way is to replace PSU with 230V version. Some 110V PSUs could be converted to 230V by replaceing some internal parts, however it's safer to replace whole PSU if you aren't electrician.
RandySlim76

Post by RandySlim76 »

jazzycian wrote:Hi, I have just purchased a halo edition Xbox which I believe are only NTSC and 110v. I am in Ireland and want to be able to plug it in to 240v. Being a halo edition I think these are all version 1.2. Wondering if many have experience doing this conversion? Is there possibly a 240v tap and a 110v tap on the transformer that I can change or am I looking at swapping out the power supply for a 240v one? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Also is there anything I should watch out for with the halo edition? I will be replacing the clock cap with a 4.7F 2.5v super capacitor, Aladdin XT chip, 80 conductor ide cable, startech adapter with a 2TB seagate 3.5 barracuda. I am very comfortable with electronics and soldering, I just have not received the console yet so haven't put eyes on the actual power supply yet. The console seems in good condition except one LED is gone around the power button and the sticks are very worn on the halo controller, both of these things I can fix. Any advise regarding the halo edition, converting to 240v or the 1.2 - 1.5 (I believe these are the same) power supplies in general would be greatly appreciated once again. This is my first post here (long time reader) but I have good technical background so hopefully I can be of help to someone in the future.
Found this exact same subject and this guy used a power convertor he bought at best buy or home Depot. http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/postt27157.html
jazzycian

Post by jazzycian »

Cheers for the reply, I have a step down transformer because I use an American Weller soldering station but it's a lot of hassle. I'll change the board for a 230v one at some point. I can get by setting it up etc with the step down transformer. Also have a mountain dew edition that will get the same but it's unopened so not in a hurry to do anything to it.
RandySlim76

Post by RandySlim76 »

jazzycian wrote:Cheers for the reply, I have a step down transformer because I use an American Weller soldering station but it's a lot of hassle. I'll change the board for a 230v one at some point. I can get by setting it up etc with the step down transformer. Also have a mountain dew edition that will get the same but it's unopened so not in a hurry to do anything to it.
No problem bud..... Just sharing information with a fellow Xbox original fan.... Always trying to keep that box alive and kicking Image