Softmodded original Xbox boots up, then turns off.

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
sancho9000

Softmodded original Xbox boots up, then turns off.

Post by sancho9000 »

After a few years of collecting dust, I decided to fire up my softmodded xbox.

It boots up through the Xbox boot sequence, then shows the XBMC logo and turns off. I immediately, thought it was overheating, so I opened it up, but can't see any evidence supporting that.

To test my theory, I unplugged the DVD-Drive, started it up. I get the expected Error 12, because it doesn't detect the DVD-Drive, but it stays on perfectly fine, no overheating.

So, I suspect, it's either an issue with the DVD-Drive, or the files on the HDD have somehow become corrupt. And this is why it boots all the way to the XBMC logo then turns off.

Is there any way to test this further? Or anyway to restore/reformat the HDD and start fresh?

Thanks!
Odon

Re: Softmodded original Xbox boots up, then turns off.

Post by Odon »

does it boot into a game? try booting into splinter cell or whatever game you think works to achieve a softmod.
sancho9000

Post by sancho9000 »

Great idea!

I just put in Splinter Cell, and the game loads up fine. I played for about 30 mins. No issues whatsoever.

I guess this means the HDD has failed, or the files are corrupt. Is there a recovery process for softmodded xboxes?

Or, I have a spare HDD I could switch out, but I'm not sure how to clone the HDD if it's corrupt.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks!
sancho9000

Post by sancho9000 »

I found this resource: http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/xbox-tutorials-161.html

going to give it a try and report back.