XBOX v1.0 Power On Issue

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
cots2

XBOX v1.0 Power On Issue

Post by cots2 »

I have a XBOX v1.0 that powers on as soon as you plug in the power cord and when I push the bottom button to power off the console all it does is restart the system. Does anyone know if there is some sort of fix for this?
RandySlim76

Re: XBOX v1.0 Power On Issue

Post by RandySlim76 »

Sounds like the power button is half way broken which let's the power button touch the pad that turns it on. If that's not it then it's still something to do with the switch itself..... Take it apart and check it out.
EvoluterX

Post by EvoluterX »

Check for corroded traces as well. Corroded traces will also exhibit weird stuff on the front panel.
Xbox v1.0 - stock drive,softmodded
Xbox v1.0 - ST380211A,EvoX M8+
Xbox v1.4 crystal - ST316025ACE,iND-BIOS 5004
cots2

Post by cots2 »

RandySlim76 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:13 am Sounds like the power button is half way broken which let's the power button touch the pad that turns it on. If that's not it then it's still something to do with the switch itself..... Take it apart and check it out.
Okay, so I disconnected the on/off switch pcb and when I plug in the power the XBOX still turns on. I also tried another PCB from another console and I have the same problem. I don't think it has anything to do with the power buttons.
RandySlim76

Post by RandySlim76 »

Question? Is the network cable plugged in and do you have any controllers plugged in when plugging in to the outlet?
cots2

Post by cots2 »

RandySlim76 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:21 pm Question? Is the network cable plugged in and do you have any controllers plugged in when plugging in to the outlet?
I tried with no cables and controllers plugged in and it still does it.
RandySlim76

Post by RandySlim76 »

If it was a PC I would say your bios is set to "return to previous state after power loss".
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

a bit off topic but I did make my arcade moded consoles power up as soon as you plug it in on purpose :-)

I use to solder capacitors across the power button so that once it powered up the cap would charge off the power button effectively operating the power button from a timed short.

this was useful if you put the console in an arcade cabinet because as soon as you powered it on at the wall it would fire up without opening the cabinet and pressing the power button.