pico psu

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
scroeffie

pico psu

Post by scroeffie »

hi would a pico psu work for a xbox ?
N64 freak

Re: pico psu

Post by N64 freak »

Hi,
with a little modification it should work. Never personally tested it but a few Xbox mini projects used them.
One thing to check is that the 5V Supply can provide enough amps. And it would be good to know if you want to use a 3,5"HDD or a 2,5" and of course if you want to keep the DVD drive.
To get the Pico PSU or any other ATX Psu to work you need a small shematic to adapter the Standby voltage and the Power on and Power ok signals.
Also depends on what revision Xbox you got!

Just let us know what plans you got and send a link with the exakt data sheet off the pico psu so we can check it for you.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

yes they do but they are not really up the the current on the 5v line I believe and I have seen people remove caps from the motherboard to reduce load on startup so the psu does not trip out.

you also cant wire them in directly as the ps on signals and standby and ps ok voltages are not the same as a pc.

there is a small circuit to make them work with an xbox.
Tom M.

Post by Tom M. »

It would be great for the community if someone designed a replacement power supply (even dual voltage!), either based on existing computer solutions or the original Xbox ones. I guess in the future there is demand for them. Even today, if you want to import a (special edition) NTSC Xbox to PAL region and vice versa, you need another power supply. And butchering a working system just for the power unit makes very little sence to me.
Tom M.

Post by Tom M. »

Looks like someone did it in the past:
https://konsolowo.pl/shop/gb/repair-par ... upply.html