Swapping HDD from softmodded Xbox to mod chipped Xbox

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Wally12

Swapping HDD from softmodded Xbox to mod chipped Xbox

Post by Wally12 »

So, I've got a v1.6 softmodded Xbox that has a 1TB HDD in it. Obviously since the Xbox is softmodded, it is locked to that Xbox. But what I want to do is swap the HDD into a v1.0 Xbox with an Xecuter 2.6 Lite modchip with Xecuter2 4983.06 BIOS. I'm pretty sure this can be done, but I'm not sure how.

Do I simply need to open Chimp on the softmodded console and then unlock the drive? And would I be able to re-lock it to that console again in the future using the original drive, my molex splitter, and Chimp if I wanted to? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, as a side question, do v1.6 Xbox's with the Xcalibur video encoder have worse video quality output than v1.0 Xbox's with the Connexant video encoder? I was reading somewhere the other day where somebody was saying v1.6 video quality was worse. Is this really true?
Last edited by Wally12 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computers & tinkering with different tech. I run a YouTube gaming channel in my spare time: Join the fun!
Coldly-Indifferent

Re: Swapping HDD from softmodded Xbox to mod chipped Xbox

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

I'm pretty sure that is all you need to do to: unlock it. I'm being cautious because I don't know if the BIOS mentioned will actually boot from a a HDD set up as a softmod. I suspect it will but you need confirmation to be certain. There would be no harm in trying as you can always relock it to the softmod in the way described if necessary.

The important thing is to get the eeprom off the softmodded Xbox first, stored on PC. But it would be useful to back it up to the chipped machine too. Just make sure it is with a folder name that makes it clearly identifiable as belonging to the softmodded Xbox.

With the most recent version of Chimp261812 having it on the chipped machine means you could use it there as well to relock it to the softmod.

IMHO the video quality from the Xcalibur is just as good as any other. The problem is that it does have quirks and there are a small but significant number of original Xbox games which support 480p that the Xcalibur will only run in 480i. Gun Valkyrie, Panzer Dragoon Orta and Voodoo Vince are typical examples of games affected by the problem. That's probably where the idea of it giving worse PQ than the other video encoders came from.

However there are loading techniques (using an old EvoX and UnleashX dashes or specific adapted game loaders) which will force 480p in those games on a v1.6 with the Xcalibur, or at least most of them.

Luckily one of the cross (Xbox) forum experts here, Rocky5, wrote a XBMC4Xbox script last year which when run will patch most of the games with the problem so they are launched using the appropriate loader. You need to have a recent version of XBMC, v3.0 series, on your Xbox as an app or main dash to run it, ideally v3.5.3. The patch will be applied directly to all the installed games folders from a master list of those that need it. This means even if you are using another main dash the patch is still used and they'll play in 480p.