ConfigMagic GTS Mod

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Rocky5

Re: ConfigMagic GTS Mod

Post by Rocky5 »

Coldly-Indifferent wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:30 pm Thanks but that sounds like way too much hassle for my taste.

I can live with ConfigMagic's GUI not being quite as good as it could be. However I'm not risking messing around with an eeprom update just to be able to improve the appearance of an app I might only use a handful of times on any particular Xbox, probably less.

Thanks for the info and help.
It’s all versions of CM that are effected, I’m surprised no one had realised by now that there was an issues.

I can compile a new xbe an link it here, it will just be a stock 1.6 CM Xbe, goteamscotch will need to apply his edits to that one.

Also if you download the CM source code it comes with Arial fonts, that you can swap to instead of the strange font type.
( I’m not sure how they created there fonts, fontbuilder can’t make compatible fonts, but it can comple them into an xpr if you use the abc file included with the tga )

Edit:
Here is what I call Configmagic v1.6.1
Download Configmagic v1.6.1
UPDATE LOG:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 16/07/2017
By: Rocky5

Updated the Source to compile under retail, smaller xbe size.

Include wmvdecd.lib, required to compile.
( install to %PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\Microsoft Xbox SDK\xbox\lib )

Fixed the CRC size for checksum 3
( On v1.6 xbox the xbox would invalidate these settings and clear them. Potential Error16 if a softmod or stock MSDash isn't present on C )

Updated the skinning aspect of the code.
You can now colour the menu and the menu header.
Removed the horrid shadowing of the text.
Changed all images to PNG.
If no wmv files are found it will just skip them, no more crashing!
( I never done this for images as well there needed )
New Skin
New Fonts, had to adjust font positions a tad.
( Segoe UI )

Exit button changes to "Lock Your Hard Drive" when the HDD is unlocked.

Auto refresh eeprom after an EEPROM Update.
( Should have been this way from the begining )

Exit Configmagic button does nothing if HDD is unlocked
( Quick reset obviously bypasses this )

Updated XKUtils to the latest version and added the option to write the following:
SetLanguageString
SetVideoFlagsString
SetTimeZoneStdNameString
SetTimeZoneDltNameString
SetTimeZoneStdDateString
SetTimeZoneDltDateString
SetTimeZoneDltBiasString
SetNullChecksum3String

Note: These aren't added to the GUI, they would be used for advanced users only.

Other minor changes, like labels and new lables eg...
Last edited by Rocky5 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

Thanks for the additional help and work done. I'm going to download your updated ConfigMagic v1.6.1 once I've posted this.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

I'm currently fixing up the skinning engine, the images will be PNG and you can now colour the fonts on them menu.

OK updated the link above and added the new change log.

This should make skinning it easier.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Coldly-Indifferent

Thanks.

Being able to customise the ConfigMagic skin more is a very welcome feature. I look forward to try trying it.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Coldly-Indifferent wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:24 pm Thanks.

Being able to customise the ConfigMagic skin more is a very welcome feature. I look forward to try trying it.
I actually just updated it again there, you cannot exit if the HDD is unlocked now.
( quick reset can bypass this, but the Exit Configmagic button doesn't work if the HDD is unlocked )
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Coldly-Indifferent

A useful safety feature and consequently a definite improvement.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Coldly-Indifferent wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:44 am A useful safety feature and consequently a definite improvement.
I think I may just change the label or disable the button if the HDD is unlocked.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Coldly-Indifferent

Tried it out last night. Excellent work, particularly the Xbox Softmodding Tool set family look you've given to it.

But I have to ask this: why did you stick with the, for me, ugly Gunplay font? You changed the three font sizes to Font_1.xpr, Font_2.xpr and Font_3.xpr but not the actual font itself. I would have thought if you're going with that XBox Softmodding Tool familial skin theme you should use the same font family throughout the tool set.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Coldly-Indifferent wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:40 pm Tried it out last night. Excellent work, particularly the Xbox Softmodding Tool set family look you've given to it.

But I have to ask this: why did you stick with the, for me, ugly Gunplay font? You changed the three font sizes to Font_1.xpr, Font_2.xpr and Font_3.xpr but not the actual font itself. I would have thought if you're going with that XBox Softmodding Tool familial skin theme you should use the same font family throughout the tool set.
I need to find the specific version of fontmaker, that produces v4 fonts. Any other version crashes the app.
( going to DL all the XDK’s so it would be in one )
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Coldly-Indifferent

Oh I see, I thought there would be a good explanation.

What I did when I replaced the font and renamed it in the original ConfigMagic and GTS version is use a harvested Arial.xpr font from my XPR font archive. Those come from old skins/SID/AID/MS dash/other installers etc I've collected over the years for use in UX skin editing. That archive was started before I had any internet download capability and access to the FontMaker tool.

Only problem with using harvested Xbox fonts is that you rarely find a full font size range set. You'll often have 8pt or 9pt fonts with nothing inbetween that and 16pt or even 18pt size.

I've not experienced any problem having used that replacement font but then I haven't thoroughly tested all the ConfigMagic menu options either. All I've really used it for is a few straight forward HDD unlocking and/or relocking jobs.

Useful info about ConfigMagic needing v4 fonts; that has me worried now.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Coldly-Indifferent wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:34 pm Oh I see, I thought there would be a good explanation.

What I did when I replaced the font and renamed it in the original ConfigMagic and GTS version is use a harvested Arial.xpr font from my XPR font archive. Those come from old skins/SID/AID/MS dash/other installers etc I've collected over the years for use in UX skin editing. That archive was started before I had any internet download capability and access to the FontMaker tool.

Only problem with using harvested Xbox fonts is that you rarely find a full font size range set. You'll often have 8pt or 9pt fonts with nothing inbetween that and 16pt or even 18pt size.

I've not experienced any problem having used that replacement font but then I haven't thoroughly tested all the ConfigMagic menu options either. All I've really used it for is a few straight forward HDD unlocking and/or relocking jobs.

Useful info about ConfigMagic needing v4 fonts; that has me worried now.
Nah don’t be worried, I updated it yesterday ( well today, early hours ) just haven’t changed the change log above.

But now when the drive is unlocked it says “Lock your Hard Drive” where it used to say exit. Also when you update th eeprom it reloads the eeprom info and I updated the fonts.

The fonts were a bitch, easy to convert but I had to modify there positions for some in the xbe. I found font swapping isn’t a simple swap over. I also named them for convenience.
( not there is no text antialiasing at all so the menu fonts and others may look ruff as feck, bugger all I can do about that )
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5