Need some help with my new modded xbox

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
c.penny1

Need some help with my new modded xbox

Post by c.penny1 »

I dont suppose you lot can help me. I am a little experienced with softmodding an xbox but i managed to score an xbox original cheap and i noticed it had switches. I managed to find out that it is a xecuter 2.6 chip. I will attach the photo as i may be wrong. I am new to these banks etc. I have left my xbox cables at my nans so i wont be able to get any information from the dashboard. I remember the word slayer on the modded dashboard. I have a few questions below and any help will be helpful and appreciated. http://imgur.com/a/I0TTR

1. To upgrade my hard drive, do i follow the same route by just using chimp and cloning the drive (softmod way)?
2. Could someone explain to me about bank 1 and 2, i think its something to do with bioses so i can change bios but why would i want to do that?
3. I have seen that people have been updating their bios, should i do that and how would i be able to do it? (i believe the xbox hasnt been used for a while as trying to boot the xbox into the chip didnt work until a few more tries and it is dirty inside)
shloader

Re: Need some help with my new modded xbox

Post by shloader »

c.penny1 wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 1:55 pm 1. To upgrade my hard drive, do i follow the same route by just using chimp and cloning the drive (softmod way)?
If you want to retain everything that's on it and transfer it to another drive, yes. Otherwise you simply place a fresh hard drive in and put a HeXEn 2017 disc in and load it from scratch (if you're using a SATA drive, may not be so simple).
c.penny1 wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 1:55 pm 2. Could someone explain to me about bank 1 and 2, i think its something to do with bioses so i can change bios but why would i want to do that?
Gives you the option of loading a different bios, like a cromwell bios by changing the switch. Overall not a major concern for an Xbox with a 1.6 motherboard. Not much can be done to extend the functionality with bioses that have more options.
c.penny1 wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 1:55 pm 3. I have seen that people have been updating their bios, should i do that and how would i be able to do it? (i believe the xbox hasnt been used for a while as trying to boot the xbox into the chip didnt work until a few more tries and it is dirty inside)
That entirely depends on the bios that's on there now. Being it's a 1.6 motherboard I'd assume the bios is as current as it could be. Probably little point to as a new bios won't bring any new functionality.
I make a conscious effort to use terms that can be googled.
Xbox modding is really about understanding the nomenclature, and a good HeXEn disc.
Drinking while posting happens. It's not like drinking and driving; try to be understanding.
c.penny1

Post by c.penny1 »

Wait what, a 1.6 motherboad, i thought that the crystal xbox version has a 1.6 motherboard. My bios is EvoX M8 v16 06. The dashboard is slayers evo-x v2.6. That is on bank 1. When i switch to bank 2 it is the same.

Do i need to update my bios and should i leave my bank selector on 1 or 2?
shloader

Post by shloader »

c.penny1 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 10:38 am Wait what, a 1.6 motherboad, i thought that the crystal xbox version has a 1.6 motherboard.
Probably does. Are you under the impression that only Crystal Xboxes have 1.6 motherboards? The vast majority, though not all, of Xboxes built starting the later half of '04 to end of production are 1.6 motherboards. Got a couple dozen afflicted with these boards. What gave it away was the clock capacitor being right next to the IDE connector. That's as good as a picture showing an Xcalibur video encoder chip.
c.penny1 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 10:38 am My bios is EvoX M8 v16 06. The dashboard is slayers evo-x v2.6. That is on bank 1. When i switch to bank 2 it is the same.
Right, which is a bios specific for the version 1.6 motherboard. There is no later bios. That said if you want more flexibility in changing your boot paths, fan speeds or what have you, you could find a download of ebtool, a tool for modifying the EvoX bios, and modify those settings to better fit your style and needs. Alternatively you can flash the Xecutor 5035 bios to your second bank and then you can edit those settings with a text editor or tool. Then just decide which one works out best for you. Xecutor's bios uses a config file at the root of the E drive. There's a template on the HeXEn disc. Me I like having my settings baked right into the bios.
c.penny1 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 10:38 am Do i need to update my bios and should i leave my bank selector on 1 or 2?
Up to you. Writing the same bios to all banks is something modders do for others, not themselves, so someone doesn't panic thinking they broke their box by flipping a simple switch. Either that or the switch ain't even properly connected,... though I doubt that. Probably the original modder just didn't want that phone call from a freaked out client.
I make a conscious effort to use terms that can be googled.
Xbox modding is really about understanding the nomenclature, and a good HeXEn disc.
Drinking while posting happens. It's not like drinking and driving; try to be understanding.