Can I unlock an xbox HDD from within xbmc/dash without a PC?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
xanderten50

Can I unlock an xbox HDD from within xbmc/dash without a PC?

Post by xanderten50 »

Pretty much as above, I want to unlock my current HDD so I can put it in an external drive - but preferably without formatting, as I want to ftp the contents onto my new xbox hdd drive afterwards! (I did try cloning first, but that was going to take 70+ hours byte for byte, so no... :o )

Can this be done without a 'proper' PC? I've had a look, and most guides tend to reference xbox hdm & swapping IDE cables which I can't really do!

Not sure what version of xbox it is, but it is smartx chipped if that helps/hinders
Good signatures are hard to come by...
Nextelhalo

Re: Can I unlock an xbox HDD from within xbmc/dash without a

Post by Nextelhalo »

You can pop in the Slayers 2.7 disc and use the unlock feature right then and there. I cant remember off the top of my head but Hexen might be able to do this.
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
MrMajst3r

Post by MrMajst3r »

xanderten50 wrote:smartx chipped
You can unlock your HDD in SmartXX OS or with auto-installer (e.g. Hexen).
xanderten50

Post by xanderten50 »

MrMajst3r wrote:
xanderten50 wrote:smartx chipped
You can unlock your HDD in SmartXX OS or with auto-installer (e.g. Hexen).
How do I access the SmartXX OS? I didn't chip the box myself (it was about 3rd hand by the time it got to me :D ) so I haven't played with the chip functions!
MrMajst3r

Post by MrMajst3r »

Try to launch console with eject, or hit power and then eject.
blighty

Post by blighty »

Configmagic always works :D
xanderten50

Post by xanderten50 »

Ok, realised I had a copy of the Slayers 2.7 disk knocking about, so I booted that up and used the unlock drive option - it said done after a few seconds, but when I tried putting the drive in an external enclosure my laptop couldn't see the drive (Windows did install a USB device, so it was definately there but nothing appeared in My Computer).

Did I do something wrong, or is it not enough to just 'unlock' the drive?
Nextelhalo

Post by Nextelhalo »

Been a while since i've done this but the PC might not see it since it's formatted in FATX. I suggest putting that hard drive back into the xbox and doing an xbox to xbox transfer first. This is assuming you've got two xbox's though but from what you've written so far your just upgrading your xbox hard drive. However, you might be able to hook the drive up to the PC via IDE cable and that might give you access but I really dont know, never tried that. I'm sure someone will chime and correct me or point you in the right direction. I can say that the quickest way to copy your content from drive to drive would be xbox to xbox using avalaunch, i get an average of 10MB transfer right that way. If you dont have another xbox to use, buy one, mod it and now you have two ;)
Halo LE Blue (Japan Black jewel) v1.0 1.0GHZ Trusty 128 RAM 640GB Blue-White P/E LED's
White v1.4 X3 CE with X3 CP 500GB Blue-white P/E LED's Blue Jewel
Debug kit untouched
xanderten50

Post by xanderten50 »

Nextelhalo wrote:Been a while since i've done this but the PC might not see it since it's formatted in FATX. I suggest putting that hard drive back into the xbox and doing an xbox to xbox transfer first. This is assuming you've got two xbox's though but from what you've written so far your just upgrading your xbox hard drive. However, you might be able to hook the drive up to the PC via IDE cable and that might give you access but I really dont know, never tried that. I'm sure someone will chime and correct me or point you in the right direction. I can say that the quickest way to copy your content from drive to drive would be xbox to xbox using avalaunch, i get an average of 10MB transfer right that way. If you dont have another xbox to use, buy one, mod it and now you have two ;)
That seems to be the most likely reason! Thanks for that :)
asbo

Post by asbo »

You need to use Xplorer360 on your laptop. Here, I've uploaded it for you with the required .dll Extract the folder and run the program. Click drive, open, and then select your xbox hard drive. It should open in the window below and you should be able to copy stuff off it.
I've never actually tried this with an xbox hard drive before, but its what I use for transferring stuff to FATX usb sticks so it should work.