Dual SATA Dock with Offline Clone

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
NeMesiS

Dual SATA Dock with Offline Clone

Post by NeMesiS »

Ive been looking at the Inateck FD2002 Dual Sata Docking Station with Offline Cloning
s-l500.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBVJHDk2-t4

Apparently it clones the drive byte for byte much like Chimp

I'm after some opinions...
shloader

Re: Dual SATA Dock with Offline Clone

Post by shloader »

Nice. Price seems right for what it does even though there's a Red Flag on the offline cloning.
overclockers.net wrote:There are limitations to this function as it can only clone to a drive of greater capacity than the source drive. This means cloning to a target drive that is the same capacity as the source drive is not possible either.
Confirmed on every other review I found for this device, and a comment from Inateck regarding a question on Amazon. Even though this is the case I'd just use HDD Raw Copy Tool and accept the limitations. Every other Dual-Bay dock I've seen is either outrageously expensive to the point a pair of single-bay docks makes more sense, or reviews indicate they're extremely flaky. So still a good find. I just found it on eBay for $34.70 shipped.

edit- ... Now I'm reading reviews on Amazon claiming identical drive clones work fine. One reviewer said it took 12 hours to clone some 8TB drives (takes me that long to do 2TB). And then I read another comment from Inateck suggesting that identical drives (or at least identical sector counts) do work. :roll: So now I wonder if it was just a comment they put in the manual to chase off bad reviews from people who'd try to clone across different manufacturers where differing sector count could be an issue. This may have been the case years ago but I doubt it's true anymore; I've seen four 2TB drives from three manufacturers show the same sector count in the cloning tool I use.
I make a conscious effort to use terms that can be googled.
Xbox modding is really about understanding the nomenclature, and a good HeXEn disc.
Drinking while posting happens. It's not like drinking and driving; try to be understanding.
NeMesiS

Post by NeMesiS »

Interesting....

I actually couldn't find a InaTeck Dock locally to Australia and the cheapest one I could find was in Poland,.
I dont think I could wait that long for postage... :(

There are plenty of cheap knock offs on eBay...
But I did come across another one that is and is very similar to the InaTeck

ORICO 6629US3-C-BK
28517.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7SXI4lw9Mc

I might get one and see how we go... I could always resell it...
shloader

Post by shloader »

I'd say go for it. When you get it, do take a look at the supplied power adapter for how many amps it's outputting. The Inateck supplies a 3 Amp adapter. That would probably handle a pair of green drives just fine, or a notebook/ssd & 3.5". Performance drives would take that adapter up to 66% capacity. Cheap wall warts don't always put out clean power when tasked past 50%. If the Orico cheaps out on the adapter with something like a 2.5amp, you might want to try replacing the adapter with something more beefy if the dock doesn't behave proper. I have a feeling this is where some of their negative reviews are coming from. If I have any issues, think I'll do surgery on a spare 360 supply (cuz 15 amps is where it's at).
Xbox modding is really about understanding the nomenclature, and a good HeXEn disc.
Drinking while posting happens. It's not like drinking and driving; try to be understanding.
NeMesiS

Post by NeMesiS »

274184_2311_draft.jpg
Looks to be 3amp... Would this handle a couple of 2Tb Seagate Barracuda's?
I could bump it up to either 5, 6, 8 or even 10A from what I could quickly find on eBay...
Is that a standard size for a DC plug?
shloader

Post by shloader »

If the build quality is ok, should be fine. Check it for heat while under load. If it gets uncomfortably hot, swap it for something better. Good to have spares anyway.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

I have a stardoc one it works if you use an identical drive it is quite slow tho
NeMesiS

Post by NeMesiS »

professor_jonny wrote:I have a stardoc one it works if you use an identical drive it is quite slow tho
Implying that the one you have is slow or the dual docks are slow in general?
What kinda speeds are you getting, what could i expect for a 2Tb drive?
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

NeMesiS wrote: Implying that the one you have is slow or the dual docks are slow in general?
What kinda speeds are you getting, what could i expect for a 2Tb drive?

My particular one is slow but as I only have one I don't know if this is a problem in general or just with my one.

my one would take 3-4 hours to do a 2tb drive
NeMesiS

Post by NeMesiS »

professor_jonny wrote:my one would take 3-4 hours to do a 2tb drive
Better than what I was expecting... guess it comes down to speed vs convenience.
Initially I was looking for a couple enclosures but come across these dual docks.
So... I ended up getting Orico dual dock and a Orico enclosure...

Hopefully I'll have it within the next couple of weeks...
If anyones interested I could do a speed test comparing the dual dock clone feature
vs. "dd" command on Linux using 2x external enclosures with USB 3.0
shloader

Post by shloader »

Even at four hours that's averaging ~136MB/sec with hard drives on a device that doesn't supplement any buffer ram. Faster than the 49MB/sec the cloning software I'm using tops out at. My Inateck FD2002 arrived yesterday. Depending on my taxes I may get a 2TB drive soon to play with it. My 2TB source Xbox drive is a notebook drive that tops out at 145MB/sec. So long as it gets done in anywhere near four hours I'd consider it a worth while investment.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Could you read the old IDE drives in this with some sort of adapter ? I'm looking to buy one but the ones that are IDE and Sata compatible are not looking as good as this one to me .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

NeMesiS

Post by NeMesiS »

hawsey wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:58 am Could you read the old IDE drives in this with some sort of adapter ? I'm looking to buy one but the ones that are IDE and Sata compatible are not looking as good as this one to me.
Having a look on eBay there seem to be some IDE to SATA adaptors... Just not sure how it would go sitting on my device, perhaps an SATA extention cable should do the trick...

Anyways finally had a chance to try out my cloning function and it took around 3 hours to clone a Seagate Barracuda 2Tb drive, tested and working...
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hey that's not bad ..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

shloader

Post by shloader »

I'm very close to doing my own speed tests on this. Will post with pictures from Crystal Disk Mark of the two drives I'm using and then time the transfer. Still need to get my source drive dialed. Been slow. My OCD nature has me picking some of the total crap out of CoinOps first (replacing incomplete Playstation ISOs and gutting the actual Xbox titles... don't tell BP) and getting my BFM bioses updated and in order. Probably Saturday.
NeMesiS

Post by NeMesiS »

shloader wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 7:52 pm Still need to get my source drive dialed. Been slow. My OCD nature has me picking some of the total crap out of CoinOps first (replacing incomplete Playstation ISOs and gutting the actual Xbox titles... don't tell BP) and getting my BFM bioses updated and in order. Probably Saturday.
I know what you mean... I'm currently compiling a second revision for my 2tb build by updating all my emulators and next I will be refining my xbox game titles...
shloader

Post by shloader »

About five hours and thirty minutes to transfer from a 2TB Samsung notebook drive to a 2TB Seagate Barracuda desktop drive using the Inateck dual drive dock. The Samsung had a max read of 145MB/Sec but I know that number starts to fall sharply 60% into the medium. The Seagate writes at 195MB/Sec so it's not a bottleneck. This notebook drive can go to my next customer and I'll test clock it again when I get another Seagate. Happy enough that this didn't tie my computer up for 12 Hours.

/edit - Wanted to post pictures of the drive benchmarks... got lazy. Hey it's hot today.
NeMesiS

Post by NeMesiS »

Nice...

Should compare PC vs Device when cloning the two 2Tb Seagate Barracuda's
I might be able to try this myself maybe by the coming weekend.

Last night I finally decided to pull apart my two Expansion Drive's containing "ST2000DM001"
which I'm sure I will be able to clone from the more recent "ST2000DM006"

EDIT: I'm thinking of tearing out the 2x 1Tb Samsungs from my NAS and using them for xbox's
My old collection of movies and tv series are far from todays standards, almost nothing over 720p if that.
I mostly stream my media through Kodi and Exodus addon on my RPi3...