Need help with Tsop recovery after bad flash..

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
immune

Re: Need help with Tsop recovery after bad flash..

Post by immune »

Welp it's not working... I'm out of ideas. Looks like there won't be any miracle for you tonight.
It allright mate . Thank you very much for the efford.
I had some TSOP chips flashed with corrupted bioses. I have installed modchip in one console and then reflash all TSOP chips by soldering them into chipped console (I used Xbox instead of external programmer).
http://imgur.com/lzsM6pX

Oh.. allright i think i´ll follow your advice and just install the Alladin´s this looks like some sort of tentacle monster to me :) . No way i could do this on my own. Not yet .

One is Alladin is allready underways. Buyed from a local store in Germany but was quite expensive.

Do you still sell some Alladin´s MrMajst3r?

Anyway i have another little Problem:

I´ve got another Box i bricked BEFORE doing the Bad Tsops on the 1.4 Boxes.
I got an 1.0 with some kind of Modchip installed on the LPC.

This here

I wanted to flash the TSOP instead of using the modchip and wanted to bridged the points for flashing Xecuter 5035 Bios and there was a small wire that went from the modchip to some place on the PCB. I pulled that off rebooted the Box and Got an Error Screen for using an unlocked drive on original Bios. Stupid but unfortunately real.I dont have the original HDD.

So any adivce on how to resolder the wire from the chip to PCB?

BTW this Chip installed here is the same that comes with the Alladin right?
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

I got an 1.0 with some kind of Modchip installed on the LPC.
This thing will work just as a aladdin modchip on a 1.0/1.1 specifically (I mean it can work on other rev but requires rather extreme modifications to the motherboard).

About that wire you "pulled". Did you yanked it out or did you desolder it? Yanking stuff from a electronic board is not good. You can damage traces on the motherboard. However, it looks like the d0 point where it was attached near the TSOP is ok. Could you provide a close up shot of the area?

If the trace is good, you will need to resolder the wire as it was before. You can also try an alternative easier point on the bottom side of the motherboard.

Solder the TSOP write points while you're at it.

Boot from the modchip, lock the drive, install a softmod package and then desolder the d0 wire you just put back.

Once you successfully boot from your TSOP with the softmod in place, flash the TSOP like you usually do.

It's not a problem if you leave the modchip in place without the d0 wire. It will just sit there doing nothing, eating a couple milliamps of power.
immune

Post by immune »

About that wire you "pulled". Did you yanked it out or did you desolder it? Yanking stuff from a electronic board is not good. You can damage traces on the motherboard.
Yea i indeed yanked it out. The wire was thin like a hair and i barely saw it. I didn´t thought it would harm the PCB although i should have known better :)
Could you provide a close up shot of the area?

The Question to me is now where to attach the new wire at the LPC ModChip?

EDIT:

Will something like this do it?
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

The d0 point looks ok. You should be able to reinstall a wire on it although I highly suggest you go for the alternate d0 point on the bottom side of the motherboard.
Pulling the wire off like you did could have weaken the epoxy bond between the copper trace and the fiberglass board. Applying heat directly could lift it up and severe the connection and make the TSOP unbootable. It doesn't matter if the wire is long on this specific signal and you'll most likely remove that board to solder the TSOP write point so while at it, avoid risking destroying that top side point and use the bottom one!

The soldering station you're showing is the right tool to do the job. Personally, I purchased a clone 852D+ stations for around $100 years ago (was a poor student back then) and it's been working fine for me since then. The 852D+ usually have a digital temperature display for the iron which is great for precise electronic work! It's a very common station and you will be able to find replacement parts for years.
immune

Post by immune »

Thank you again will look after the station you mentioned and will report how it turned out when the tools have arrived.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

I read above you have a 1.4 board and looking at the picture above you have a milksop cheap mod that don't work on motherboards above 1.3 from what I believe, because of changes they made to the motherboard to make it harder to mod.

edit: ok reading a bit more this is a new motherboard :-)
xboxmaster

Post by xboxmaster »

MrMajst3r wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:42 am
immune wrote:
Hum sorry, I was under the impression the Xbox in question was a 1.0. In that case sorry, you're right and 1.4 indeed have 256KB TSOP, so there's no splitting possible... You're left with the 28-wire modchip or desolder TSOP options.
No prob. i'm glad that you told me that the thing with the tsop_m7 and the alladin isnt going to work just saved me from a lot of headache in the near future.

Anyway.. is it more complex to do the 28 wire thing or to desolder the tsop? How much for an flash programmer supporting the xbox tsops? Do you know?

Yea i really guess i messed up about the dds file i added to the bios. Gentoox flashed the bios as it always did leaving with no errors or whatever but the boxes wont reboot giving me that exciting flashing leds i didnt wanted to see.

I definetly will give flashing with xblast a try. BTW: What happens if Xblast_OS doesnt verfiy the flash?

And for the tsoo_m8 i wont hold my breath but i would love to see it coming if it would help me on my issue, so good luck on that one :)
Just install an Aladdin chip in your console and leave broken TSOP alone. Modchip will bypass bad TSOP flash.
Soldering a 29-wire modchip or desoldering the TSOP chip is not an easy thing if you haven't soldering skills. Moreover, to do this you need a 29-wire modchip or programmer.
I played with both of these methods last week. I had some TSOP chips flashed with corrupted bioses. I have installed modchip in one console and then reflash all TSOP chips by soldering them into chipped console (I used Xbox instead of external programmer).

http://imgur.com/lzsM6pX
Hi this 29 wires homebrew chip work to repair tsops on all versions 1.0-1.5?
i tried this before to repair a 1.0 tsop bad flash with a 29 wires chip but i was using the wrong flashrom and ended up not working,
I ask you that capacitor that is connected to the chip so that it is used? and what bioses are compatible wi the homemade 29 wires chip?
MrMajst3r

Post by MrMajst3r »

This mod works with 1.0-1.5 consoles. Capacitor is for voltage filtering, it's not necessary. All bioses are compatible.
xboxmaster

Post by xboxmaster »

MrMajst3r wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:05 am This mod works with 1.0-1.5 consoles. Capacitor is for voltage filtering, it's not necessary. All bioses are compatible.
Thank you for answer :) ,another question what type of flashrom is the most recomended( brand,number) for the 29 wires homebrew chip?
MrMajst3r

Post by MrMajst3r »

You need 2Mbit (256kB) eeprom or flashrom. DIP32 case will be the easiest for soldering. There are many brands, but they have the same pinout. It has to be flashed with external programmer. Then there is a lot of soldering. Make sure you really want to do this mod... It's cheaper and easier to buy Alladin modchip :)
professor_jonny

MrMajst3r wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:45 pm It has to be flashed with external programmer.
you can flash it in system from a working console but it is a bit complicated.
xboxmaster

Post by xboxmaster »

professor_jonny wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:03 pm
MrMajst3r wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:45 pm It has to be flashed with external programmer.
you can flash it in system from a working console but it is a bit complicated.
Hi professor jonny how is the proccess you mentioned? using a TSOP Socket or something like that? :) i just want to know more about this because there is little info about how to repair tsop after a bad flash, i want just to experiment more in the future when i have another xbox to experiment with :) with this on how to recover from a bad flash i know there are many options for this to recover like the chameleon,xblast recover,M7 tsop recovery and 29 wires homebrew chip,remove tsop and reflash on external programmer etc, but there are more options apart from this without the need to boot from the lpc?
professor_jonny

you don't need a socket if you use a dil32 eeprom or plcc eeprom as you can easily hand solder as stated above by MrMajst3r.

For example a AT 29C020 or a 29F002 would work and are easily solderable.

you could use a ir window eprom like a 27c2001 (2Mbit ) 27c4001 (4M bit) but you need an external programmer.

to be honest I would buy a chip.
namgorf

Post by namgorf »

NeMesiS wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:35 am
THE 3 WIRE TRICK:
I tried finding this online but all websites containing this fix no longer exists
but fortunately I had this saved within my archive of xbox stuff.

1. Solder a wire to each point highlighted red in the image below
2. Twist the ends together to bridge them (I extended my wires outside of the console)
3. Boot your xbox, If your console boots normally it was flashed with 256k bios
4. While the console is still on untwist the wires and reflash with 1024k bios

Note there is a way of using these 3 wires to enable multiple bios's on a 1024k TSOP
immune wrote:Apart from that this will be the first time i will solder something at all :mrgreen: . Any suggestions on a good basic solder set ? Maybe one from Ebay?
Just get a standard 40w soldering iron, thats what I used for almost 10 years and
only got a solder station couple of weeks ago. Just if your going to use it for bridging the
TSOP points I would do this as soon as the iron can melt the solder other wise it may get
too hot and could completely lift the pads from the motherboard...

I hope this helps...
This just saved a 1.0 xbox, much thanks!