Used XBOX Issue

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
ChirpyBird

Used XBOX Issue

Post by ChirpyBird »

I bought a used original XBOX and it has XMBC 1.0.1 on it. I want to upgrade it to the latest XBMC build and also put Kodi and Emulator games on it. I'm computer savvy but not for sure on this stuff on how to proceed with the upgrade. So, if anyone can help get me straight and tell me what to do that would be great. I currently have it connect to a LAN Cable and prefer to transfer file from my computer that way using FileZilla. It look like maybe one of the first XBMC builds. Thanks
cashonly

Re: Used XBOX Issue

Post by cashonly »

you download xbmc4xbox from this forum, boot evox or alternative dashboard and replace XBMC files in your hdd.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
ChirpyBird

Post by ChirpyBird »

So, what version should I go with? Also, do you have a link for evox?
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

it might be easyier to use an auto insteller dvd such as AID Slayers or HEXEN they all have nice a nice menu and some what automate the install. being that it is old it may need cleaning out with a format and reinstall and they will make the process easier.
spicemuseum

Post by spicemuseum »

ChirpyBird wrote:So, what version should I go with? Also, do you have a link for evox?
Given where you're starting from, and the question you've just asked, I'm inclined to agree with the professor. On your PC, search for HeXEn 2017, download it and burn it to DVD-R at x4 speed or slower.

Meanwhile, it would be worth knowing whether you've got a soft modded or hard-modded box. Do you know this? And if not, do you know how to tell?
shloader

Post by shloader »

I know you're not getting the long winded post that you may have come looking for but advice like spicemuseum's is pretty golden and, well... ya gotta start somewhere.
ChirpyBird wrote: I want to upgrade it to the latest XBMC
ChirpyBird wrote: So, what version should I go with?
This question has me, and maybe others, a touch worried. It kinda suggests you're missing some rather obvious, pertinent information on your way to this forum. Like the version number stated on the home page in Buzz's latest news post. Before reading further you may want to go back to the homepage to see what I mean as it will provide context for what I'm about to say. No really... the rest of this will be here by the time you get back.

So xbmc4xbox may not be updated as often anymore but there's no pressing need, either; it's fine and dandy as is. So, my suggestion going forward is this; know there is no shortage of information in the wild available on google and especially youtube, pay attention to the vocabulary used as other modders intentionally use terms you can easily search, and the more research you do the better off your Xbox will be for it. No one's going to put it all 100% together for you simply because it's all been said and done before. Now if you need some pointers on some of the finer details, we're here.
I make a conscious effort to use terms that can be googled.
Xbox modding is really about understanding the nomenclature, and a good HeXEn disc.
Drinking while posting happens. It's not like drinking and driving; try to be understanding.