PC ports

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
PhobosDevourer

PC ports

Post by PhobosDevourer »

I'm sorry if I didnt post this in the right place.
Anyways I know there are some pc games that have been succesfully ported to the Xbox, and Ive always wondered how do you do it?
There are some games that Id like to play/port myself if I have to, are there any good tutorials or is there anyone willing to help?
Itd be awesome to play american mcgee's alice from my living room.
shloader

Re: PC ports

Post by shloader »

PhobosDevourer wrote:I'm sorry if I didnt post this in the right place.
Anyways I know there are some pc games that have been succesfully ported to the Xbox, and Ive always wondered how do you do it?
There are some games that Id like to play/port myself if I have to, are there any good tutorials or is there anyone willing to help?
Itd be awesome to play american mcgee's alice from my living room.
id Software would be a good example for this explanation.

id Software began the practice of releasing the Source Code of their games to the public a few years before the Xbox was released. The source is very necessary for porting to other platforms, such as the Xbox. So take Doom and all its sequels, Quake, Quake 2 & 3 that have all had their source code released to the public before and during the Original Xbox's hay-day. A skilled coder comes along, properly modifies the source of said games to work on the Xbox, and compiles it using tools from the Xbox Developer's Kit to run on the Xbox. It may be a contributing factor to how well id Software games run on the Xbox that they were coded to be somewhat Linux friendly thus making their original source code more multi-platform friendly... but that's speculation. While American McGee did use the id Tech Engine 3 (like Quake 3), modifications were made. Modifications of which the source has never been made available, and likely never will, so no Alice on Xbox.
I make a conscious effort to use terms that can be googled.
Xbox modding is really about understanding the nomenclature, and a good HeXEn disc.
Drinking while posting happens. It's not like drinking and driving; try to be understanding.
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

What ^ has that to do with original Xbox PC game ports?

Smells like spam and I would suggest nobody click on that link because even a cursory search suggests it has a bad rep.

Stray is a recent 'indie' game for PS4, PS5 and Windows and not even the current Xbox generation although there is apparently a version for that in development. If you're having problems playing it upgrade your PC's GPU, assuming you can afford the current horrendous prices for even mid-range ones.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

PhobosDevourer wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:31 am I'm sorry if I didnt post this in the right place.
That is a very vague question and it depends on a game per game basis from the underlying game design.
The xbox was developed using visual studio with the xdk addon that is based around the directx8 / 9 era, the problem arises that the xdk wont run on newer versions of visual studio so most run it on a vm in windows 98 or as such and you wont really find tutiorials.

There is also the open source nxdk but I dont know if it is really game ready in that sence it is still being worked on.

If the game is sdl based lantus mvg ported sdl to the xbox and you can use that with the xdk.
There is also a few game engines that have been ported from the pc that you can base a project on that.
then there is also linux rapped games like muggin that actually boot a small linux distro to load a linux based game.

In reality it is best to modify something open source already working on the xbox.