Xbox not working

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Alexp7

Xbox not working

Post by Alexp7 »

Hi guys,

First post on here but i wonder if someone could help me, i picked up a secondhand xbox crystal for £10 the other day, and it boots and works fine, however, after a certain amount of time it shuts off, flashes the orange light and the fans go mental, then turns itself off, upon installing Slayer's evox recovery disc (the hard drive was dead) its telling me that my MB temperature is up in the 65/70 degree range. Ive tried running it with no case, even outside in the freezing cold, but it still heats up too quickly.

would anyone know what could be causing this?

P.S. The console is modded with an xt duo lite modchip

*Edit* - After looking through the settings in XBMC, Ive found the option to change the fan speed, i now have the fan running at 100% and its staying at around 61 degrees at the GPU and 51 degrees at the CPU, but i still feel like this is too hot, plus the fan only stays like that while i have XBMC open

Many thanks,

Alex
nin1

Re: Xbox not working

Post by nin1 »

Open it up, remove all the dust and reapply new thermal paste..
I have two, xbox 1.1 and xbox 1.6 , GPU temp is always much lower than cpu...
spicemuseum

Re: Xbox not working

Post by spicemuseum »

Alexp7 wrote:After looking through the settings in XBMC, Ive found the option to change the fan speed, i now have the fan running at 100% and its staying at around 61 degrees at the GPU and 51 degrees at the CPU, but i still feel like this is too hot, plus the fan only stays like that while i have XBMC open
Yep, that's not good. Something is preventing effective cooling.
- Open the console and make sure it's not full of mats of dust - especially around and on the fan and heat sinks.
- if the above doesn't help, it's most likely the heatsink connections to GPU and CPU. In the first instance check that the heatsinks are properly seated. If they are then your problem is most likely that the thermal paste is no longer doing its job, in which case you're going to need to remove the heatsinks, clean off the existing thermal paste (which will probably have gone hard) and replace with new paste.

Have fun.