SATA Adaptor Compatibility thread

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Yatti420

Re: SATA Adaptor Compatibility thread

Post by Yatti420 »

Whatever I bought never worked so ended up buying an IDE.. Its maxed out already.. Do we have a list of working vs not? Mine had no jumper and wouldn't see the drive properly.. Looking forward gettimg this completed in future..

Also 80 pin tank.. I upgraded my ata cables idn if they are 80 pin.. What are the orig xbox cables?
Coldly-Indifferent

Post by Coldly-Indifferent »

The original Xbox IDE cables have 40 wires the recommendation is to get the 80 wire type.

Don't be fooled by the various claims made by some sellers about the ATA standard their 80 wire IDE cable is designed for. If it is 80 wire it is suitable for everything. The extra 40 wires don't carry new information, they are just used to separate the "real" 40 signal wires, to reduce interference and other signaling problems associated with higher-speed transfers. That's all.

The visual difference between the original Xbox 40 wire cable and the 80 wire one is very obvious if you compared them side by side. Double the number of visible wires across the cable and, of course, they're much thinner. But also the 80 wire ones generally have black/grey/blue colour coded MB/Slave/Master connectors.
Last edited by Coldly-Indifferent on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yatti420

Post by Yatti420 »

Coldly-Indifferent wrote:The original Xbox IDE cable have 40 wires the, recommended is to get a 80 wire type.

Don't be fooled by the various claims made by some sellers about the ATA standard their 80 wire IDE cable is designed for. If it is 80 wire it is suitable for everything. The extra 40 wires don't carry new information, they are just used to separate the "real" 40 signal wires, to reduce interference and other signaling problems associated with higher-speed transfers. That's all.

The visual difference between the original Xbox 40 wire cable and the 80 wire one is very obvious if you compared them side by side. Double the number of visible wires across the cable and, of course, they're much thinner. But also the 80 wire ones generally have black/grey/blue colour coded MB/Slave/Master connectors.
Thanks for the clarification.. I bought some better ATA-133 cables was just wondering if they were compatible.. They are thinner so im assuming more wires.. I need a new adapter before trying SATA again..
Tim4885

Post by Tim4885 »

Yatti, try this adapter, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product. It works perfectly with my Western Digital 640GB HDD and you can change the jumper setting. This one has worked for others here as well.
Yatti420

Post by Yatti420 »

Ok great I'll take a look for that one up here... Any Canadians know of any?
blaeker18

SATA Adaptor Compatibility thread

Post by blaeker18 »

Hello, can you tell me if this adapter works ? .

http://goo.gl/DQyr5A

Chipset: JMH330
xman

Post by xman »

RichardKn wrote:Submission system is too complex and no backwards compatibility like we have options for stamina and new reversals. AI is always better and uneven fight vs someone that is used to the system. I want to have fun not take days to learn this new system.
Well I guess that means you miss out on a lot of cool shit in life aye?.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Bought this recently from eBay for $6 (free shipping): http://www.ebay.com/itm/191162025480
Works fine. Tested on TSOP and softmodded boxes.

Edit - Long boot times. 80-wire IDE needed. In-game-reset seems to fail most of the time, not sure if IGR being broken is from this adapter though.
Last edited by GoTeamScotch on Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
element6

Post by element6 »

jezj wrote:Managed to fine a place eventually with SATA adapters that work on a 2TB Seagate. Cheap as well..... ordered 4 and they all work great. Used a bit of thin foam though as it is close to touching the HDD when fitted just to be on the safe side.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SATA-Gre ... 77010.html

$2.96 each so a bargain.
Have been having a lot of trouble with my Seagate drive now that I've started testing some of my backups on the Xbox. It sat for quite a while after installing the 2TB drive I put into it and loading my backups onto the drive. Getting it to let me transfer all the games to it was no problem. It starts up fine, goes to the dash just fine, etc.

The problems start when I try to launch many of the games. I would get dirty disc errors on many of the games after transferring them over and over again to make sure all the data was intact. Other games wouldn't boot at all and throw me back to the dash, others still would run but give me texture loading issues and other glitches.. then of course, some games ran perfectly. I tried to blame some of the backups but they are perfect.. I confirmed by tossing my IDE drive back in the xbox and running them. Not a single issue.

So at this point, I've decided to try a few different SATA adapters and either the 40 or 80 pin IDE cable with each until I get a winning combo.

My setup is:
1.0 Xbox
Xecuter 3 chip
X3 Control Panel with LCD and USB
Currently running 1MB x2.5032.bin BIOS (x3.3294.bin doesn't seem to work with my G drive)
2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 3.5" SATA HDD
Sabrent SBT-STDB IDE to SATA adapter
Used the xbmc4xbox guide to format the hdd and AID 4.53 to get my basic setup/structure going

Copied all games in the following manner:
Filezilla Client
Max 1 connection at a time, 1 upload max, 1 download max
Force binary for all transfers
Passive

Since I have a Seagate, I'm gonna grab one of the adapters suggested by the user I quoted above.

They do still sell this adapter, although that link above no longer works. Here is the same exact SATA adapter for sale on AliExpress:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1Pcs-PAT ... 90047.html

Just bought two at $2.14/pc shipped. Keep your fingers crossed for me :)
xman

Post by xman »

The games you are having trouble with, have you tried using DVD2Xbox to load them to the 2TB instead of FTPing them in?. Seeing as you are running an Xecuter 3 chip, it may be good to give an M8 bios. You can load it in another bios position so as to leave your 1MB x2.5032.bin BIOS intact. I don't think the issue is bios related but worth a try. By the way, you did cluster the 2TB correctly didn't you?. You should have 2 partitions, F and G and after re-clustering to 64k, you should be seeing F and G with 927GB on each in XBMCs filemanager. Any variation to 927GB or close to, the 2TB isn't clustered correctly.
blaeker18

Post by blaeker18 »

element6 wrote:
jezj wrote:Managed to fine a place eventually with SATA adapters that work on a 2TB Seagate. Cheap as well..... ordered 4 and they all work great. Used a bit of thin foam though as it is close to touching the HDD when fitted just to be on the safe side.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SATA-Gre ... 77010.html

$2.96 each so a bargain.
Have been having a lot of trouble with my Seagate drive now that I've started testing some of my backups on the Xbox. It sat for quite a while after installing the 2TB drive I put into it and loading my backups onto the drive. Getting it to let me transfer all the games to it was no problem. It starts up fine, goes to the dash just fine, etc.

The problems start when I try to launch many of the games. I would get dirty disc errors on many of the games after transferring them over and over again to make sure all the data was intact. Other games wouldn't boot at all and throw me back to the dash, others still would run but give me texture loading issues and other glitches.. then of course, some games ran perfectly. I tried to blame some of the backups but they are perfect.. I confirmed by tossing my IDE drive back in the xbox and running them. Not a single issue.

So at this point, I've decided to try a few different SATA adapters and either the 40 or 80 pin IDE cable with each until I get a winning combo.

My setup is:
1.0 Xbox
Xecuter 3 chip
X3 Control Panel with LCD and USB
Currently running 1MB x2.5032.bin BIOS (x3.3294.bin doesn't seem to work with my G drive)
2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 3.5" SATA HDD
Sabrent SBT-STDB IDE to SATA adapter
Used the xbmc4xbox guide to format the hdd and AID 4.53 to get my basic setup/structure going

Copied all games in the following manner:
Filezilla Client
Max 1 connection at a time, 1 upload max, 1 download max
Force binary for all transfers
Passive

Since I have a Seagate, I'm gonna grab one of the adapters suggested by the user I quoted above.

They do still sell this adapter, although that link above no longer works. Here is the same exact SATA adapter for sale on AliExpress:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1Pcs-PAT ... 90047.html

Just bought two at $2.14/pc shipped. Keep your fingers crossed for me :)
Hello element6. This is the IDE to SATA adapter that you use?.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Serial-AT ... B000BNKEF2

works ?.
toxicmedz

Post by toxicmedz »

So there is so much information listed in this chat. Has there been a decided "best" adapter to use for a 2tb mod? I imagine some of these adapters are slower or less reliable than others. Is there one that is recommended higher than others for decent loading times?
Tom M.

Post by Tom M. »

As for working games from HDD all I can say is that you should be using software designed to copy the Xbox games, not just a general file commander. I am personally using either DVD2Xbox to copy games from DVDs to HDD or Xiso Manager to extract the games from downloaded DVD images, and then FTP them from PC to Xbox using Total Commander. And for sure there are some games that still won't work properly from HDD, not many but I do remember the Activision's MTX Mototrax was freezing up in "story mode" and there was for sure another game that did not load properly off HDD. But vast majority of Xbox games when copied from original DVDs using DVD2Xbox work 100%.
Tom M.

Post by Tom M. »

A slight update to my experience with Agestar STI-2 SATA/IDE adaptor. This is an excellent piece of hardware and I succesfully run it on several Xboxes coupled with Kingston V300 120 GB SSDs, with DUOX2 and Xecuter BIOS. The biggest plus to this particular adapter is that there is hardly any delay during boot - I would say none. I have seen some videos of various adapters and all of them had huge huge waiting times before going into dashboard. Not the case of Agestar at all! I see significant improvement of loading speed when switched from 40 to 80 pin IDE cables which was essential otherwise the Agestar would not boot at all. I cannot say for sure if SSDs themselves improved anything but Rallisport Challenge 2 long tracks load in less than 3-4 seconds... Unreal Championship Liandri conflict loads up so fast there is no time to look around the maps anymore.

Also I have fixed the issue with NHL Hitz Pro being launched from HDD (SSD). I figured out that it was not loading the textures on the fresh start of the game in time only with M8plus_16.bin BIOS. With the x2_5035_v16plus_512k.bin the game has never failed to load textures in time. I am talking about the fresh start of the game when there is no cache created on HDD. So all my Xboxes are now running on Xecuter only!

So those of you using M8plus BIOSes, you can try NHL Hitz Pro from HDD and see if you have missing textures of the stadium on the fresh start like I had... (They would eventually load up but often as late as during the gameplay).

XECUTER ROX MY BOX
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Tom M. wrote:A slight update to my experience with Agestar STI-2 SATA/IDE adaptor. This is an excellent piece of hardware and I succesfully run it on several Xboxes coupled with Kingston V300 120 GB SSDs, with DUOX2 and Xecuter BIOS. The biggest plus to this particular adapter is that there is hardly any delay during boot - I would say none. I have seen some videos of various adapters and all of them had huge huge waiting times before going into dashboard. Not the case of Agestar at all! I see significant improvement of loading speed when switched from 40 to 80 pin IDE cables which was essential otherwise the Agestar would not boot at all. I cannot say for sure if SSDs themselves improved anything but Rallisport Challenge 2 long tracks load in less than 3-4 seconds... Unreal Championship Liandri conflict loads up so fast there is no time to look around the maps anymore.

Also I have fixed the issue with NHL Hitz Pro being launched from HDD (SSD). I figured out that it was not loading the textures on the fresh start of the game in time only with M8plus_16.bin BIOS. With the x2_5035_v16plus_512k.bin the game has never failed to load textures in time. I am talking about the fresh start of the game when there is no cache created on HDD. So all my Xboxes are now running on Xecuter only!

So those of you using M8plus BIOSes, you can try NHL Hitz Pro from HDD and see if you have missing textures of the stadium on the fresh start like I had... (They would eventually load up but often as late as during the gameplay).

XECUTER ROX MY BOX
Do you have a link to the adapter you're referencing? What is the product number? I think I might have to switch to that because the ones I'm using cause obnoxiously long boot times and other minor annoyances.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
scroeffie

Post by scroeffie »

i tried allot of difrent kinds some work but in the long run are very unstable and unreliable
scroeffie

Post by scroeffie »

Feeder wrote:For the record I modified a few XBOX systems for the kids over the holiday.

I ordered the following parts from Deal Extreme back in November.
Adapters: http://www.dx.com/p/241466 ($4.99 USD each)
Cables: http://www.dx.com/p/9182 ($3.78 USD for two)

Hard drives were spare parts from old PCs Seagate 250GB and Western Digital 1TB green drives, I didn't bother checking model numbers I just plugged drive in until I had ones that would lock.

Additional notes:
- I treated the 80 wire cable as required after troubleshooting the first one. I will admit that the cheap cables I ordered don't fit well as there is not really enough wire for a comfortable routing from the DVD to the HDD. With some cable origami I was able to route the thing past the case screw hole and secure it with tape for re-assembly.
- On the DX adapter there are 40 pins. I re-used one cable where pin 20 was blocked to key the orientation of the cable. I simply removed the corresponding pin off the adapter and there have been no issues.

the one you have i tried does not work for me

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Kingwin-SATA-Dev ... xyI8lR908x
scroeffie

Post by scroeffie »

they all or most of them use the J micron chip !! sometimes the flubber moves slowly sound is oke
als before booting into xbmc i get a black screen !! maybe because i have 400+ xbox games :P

Agestar STI-2 SATA/IDE adaptor and the kingwin same adapter chipset difrent brand !!
promannen

Post by promannen »

Some one else having problem with error 07 codes with using a sata adapter, i think the case is interfering with the adapter so it losing its connection , i just have to tap the case a little so the harddrive gets connection with the adapter, i dont know how i should find a permanent solution for this. maybe i should buy a new adapter? I have the green sata adapter.
skeletor64

Post by skeletor64 »

Seems odd that you have to tap anything to establish a connection. I use both the startech red ones but recently have been buying the HDR green ones. Have had decent luck so far. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JVUXMRI/re ... Vyb55Q7KG0
After I connect it I'll use a little electrical tape on the bottom where the connection is made in case it loosens/tries to back out. Because you are getting that error, I would try the adapter first since it's a cheap part. Make sure you have your jumper correct also. Should be on Master once you get the new drive in there.