SATA Adaptor Compatibility thread

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Cloaked Alien

Re: SATA Adaptor Compatibility thread

Post by Cloaked Alien »

Urgh.. Now I've tried three drives.. 1TB + 500GB, I've tried with a 80-pin cable and it gets better but data goes corrupt after transferring enough =/

Now I reverted to a 320GB IDE and it still gets corrupt! Surely this must be caused by the built-in partitioning/formatting of the X3 chip!? I think I'm going crazy or something =|
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Cloaked Alien wrote:Urgh.. Now I've tried three drives.. 1TB + 500GB, I've tried with a 80-pin cable and it gets better but data goes corrupt after transferring enough =/

Now I reverted to a 320GB IDE and it still gets corrupt! Surely this must be caused by the built-in partitioning/formatting of the X3 chip!? I think I'm going crazy or something =|
You tried disabling the LBA48 hack in the configlive settings?
(It won't be labeled that, probably use partition table or something)

Also make sure your using XBPartitioner v1.3 to format the HDD's or use Chimp261811.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
Cloaked Alien

Post by Cloaked Alien »

Rocky5 wrote:You tried disabling the LBA48 hack in the configlive settings?
(It won't be labeled that, probably use partition table or something)

Also make sure your using XBPartitioner v1.3 to format the HDD's or use Chimp261811.
Hmmm, no, is it a hack? I really do want LBA48 support. And I put all my stuff on F =)

Should be noted that it's been running fine with a 250GB drive for a while.

However... I got fed up. So I switched the optical drive in my xbox so that I can boot Auto Installer Deluxe, it's always worked 100% for me. I zero-filled the drive a bit on my PC so that AID wanted to initialize it. Gonna try and put some stuff on it again.

Also, I've tried XBPartitioner 1.1 and 1.3 several times. Any changes it made to the partition table didn't quite seem to take (yes, I pressed start many, many times). It even retained all it's data after a format. What's up with that? =S
nigelp12345

Post by nigelp12345 »

Has anyone actually just built a hard drive with XboxHDM V1.9 on their computer?
instead of formatting with apps on the xbox or by chip, I never had any problems with Xboxhdm.
Although I've never tested it on Sata Hard drives, it builds all the partitions and once I get it running on the Console I just format the partitions with Xbox partitioner with 32KB Cluster and I'm ready to go.
https://n163lph03n1x.artstation.com/
Gamer Tag PS3/Xbox360: N163LPH03N1X
Cloaked Alien

Post by Cloaked Alien »

God damnit! I STILL GET CORRUPT FILES.

Are there any known issues with transferring files over FTP in XBMC?

Once it goes south I get garbage directory names and files disappear =/
Can't even delete them. Not over FTP and not using XBMCs file manager.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Cloaked Alien wrote:God damnit! I STILL GET CORRUPT FILES.

Are there any known issues with transferring files over FTP in XBMC?

Once it goes south I get garbage directory names and files disappear =/
Can't even delete them. Not over FTP and not using XBMCs file manager.
No.

What bios version you using? as the latest x3 (last release) supports the partition table, but you have to enable it in the liveconfig settings.

If you don't have it enabled, XBPartitioner will do nothing.

Corruption usually happens when the cluster size is wrong.
(UnleashX/EvolutionX only formats in 16kb clusters, so over 250GB HDDs will be effected)
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Cloaked Alien

Post by Cloaked Alien »

Rocky5 wrote:No.

What bios version you using? as the latest x3 (last release) supports the partition table, but you have to enable it in the liveconfig settings.

If you don't have it enabled, XBPartitioner will do nothing.

Corruption usually happens when the cluster size is wrong.
(UnleashX/EvolutionX only formats in 16kb clusters, so over 250GB HDDs will be effected)
Bloody hell, my post got all weird and ended up being just the quote.

Anyhow!

X3 Info says: Build number 3294, Kernel 1.0.5034.1
There's a setting called "LBA 48 Mode" and it's set to "F GETS ALL, NO G".
I've used the X3 LiveConfig menu to partition/format the 320GB IDE, 500GB/1TB SATA-drives, always same results =/
XB Partitioner seems to work fine but when it performs actual changes they don't seem to take, even when completely changing the partition structure. So not sure how to verify cluster size at all. Cluster size has come to mind and that's why I've tried XB Partitioner in the first place =S

I never dabbled much with the X3 chips, mostly X2 compatible ones and afaik there's a specific bios you have to flash them with to get LBA48 support and have everything on F and no G. Never used bigger drives than 250GB though.

I could always zero fill the drive again and use xb partitioner to do a first-time initialization unless there's something obvious with the bios version?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Disable the LBA48 mode & format the hdd with XBPartitioner v1.3, if it doesn't format properly try again & decrease the size by a few MB.
(Some times XBP won't write the partition table properly, redoing it until it does works)
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Cloaked Alien

Post by Cloaked Alien »

Rocky5 wrote:Disable the LBA48 mode & format the hdd with XBPartitioner v1.3, if it doesn't format properly try again & decrease the size by a few MB.
(Some times XBP won't write the partition table properly, redoing it until it does works)
Won't disabling it limit it to 128GB? =S
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Cloaked Alien wrote:
Rocky5 wrote:Disable the LBA48 mode & format the hdd with XBPartitioner v1.3, if it doesn't format properly try again & decrease the size by a few MB.
Won't disabling it limit it to 128GB? =S
No it will use the hdd partition table that XBP writes.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
captainn

Post by captainn »

For anybody having problems with XBPartitioner or file corruption try what I do.

Get the sizes of the partitions set up to what you want and then hover over each partition of F and G and press Right on the D-Pad 2x to lower each partition by 2gb's.

Press Start and Y to format, and then do the IGR to go back to the Dashboard and reload XBPartitioner again.
Just press Left on the D-Pad on each partition to increase by 1gb and then format again, and then once again and it should be formatted properly.

XBPartitioner automatically sets the cluster size appropriately, anything 1tb and over should have 64kb clusters to avoid corruption.

What it seems to me is that when XBPartitioner first loads it reads the partition table, but it doesn't seem to read it right after a format.

As long as your BIOS has LBA48 and isn't set up with a predefined partition scheme then it should be fine for bigger drives, XBPartitioner will tell you if you have a LBA48 compatible BIOS or not.

For anybody with the X3 modchip there is another setting for hard drives under:

Disk Tools - New Hard Drive Upgrade - Use Saved Partition Table: Enable this and it should use the partition table on the hard drive instead of a predefined setup.
Cloaked Alien

Post by Cloaked Alien »

Ah, cheers guys. Thanks!
I got this link in a PM:
http://x3.bustedchain.com/disktools.html

It does show me options that I have, I just didn't get what they did. It's not very intuitive. It actually clearly states that:
"F Drive Gets Everything - No G Drive: Select this to support drives under 160GB.". My drive shouldn't have been working at all with that setting... Ugh.

"Use Saved Partition Table: Enable this if you have the partition table information saved and can use it. I'm not sure about this feature. I leave it disabled and setup my partitions using the LBA48 Option defaults." is what I should be looking at and then use XBPartitioner.

Btw, is there any huge difference between XB Partitioner 1.1 or 1.3? The reason that I ask is because 1.1 is included on my "Auto Installer Deluxe" disks and I prefer not to burn new ones unless I really have to =)

I'll have a go at this later today. It's about 9:30am over here and I'm at work.
captainn

Post by captainn »

Cloaked Alien wrote:Ah, cheers guys. Thanks!
I got this link in a PM:
http://x3.bustedchain.com/disktools.html

It does show me options that I have, I just didn't get what they did. It's not very intuitive. It actually clearly states that:
"F Drive Gets Everything - No G Drive: Select this to support drives under 160GB.". My drive shouldn't have been working at all with that setting... Ugh.

"Use Saved Partition Table: Enable this if you have the partition table information saved and can use it. I'm not sure about this feature. I leave it disabled and setup my partitions using the LBA48 Option defaults." is what I should be looking at and then use XBPartitioner.

Btw, is there any huge difference between XB Partitioner 1.1 or 1.3? The reason that I ask is because 1.1 is included on my "Auto Installer Deluxe" disks and I prefer not to burn new ones unless I really have to =)

I'll have a go at this later today. It's about 9:30am over here and I'm at work.

Anybody with an X3 chip should just have to change the LBA 48 Mode to - F Drive Upto 137Gb - G Drive gets the rest and the other one I mentioned, Disk Tools - New Hard Drive Upgrade - Use Saved Partition Table: Enable this

That should let you use any size of hard drive and be able to use the hard drives partition table that XBP will write

The only difference between XBP 1.1 and 1.3 is that the freezing issue when selecting bigger partitions to format was fixed.
Cloaked Alien

Post by Cloaked Alien »

I'll report back as soon as I've been able to test this =)

Much appreciated!
Cloaked Alien

Post by Cloaked Alien »

So far, so good. I've used the instructed settings and XBPartitioner 1.1 changes seemed to take on the first go. I even installed 1.3 after prepping the drive and resizing and formatting F made all files disappear.

Using only F but BIOS is instructed to use F and G. I'm hoping it should work, XBPartitioner claims it used 64kb clusters.

ONE THING however. I've noticed this before, but I haven't put much thought to it. The HDD seems to chug a bit even when not performing any operations, is this normal? The activity light on the X3 does not light up. I'm guessing it's either normal or caused by the SATA2IDE adapter?

Gonna try and copy all the files to it in a bit, hoping everything will work fine now.

Edit: Well, startup time is SIGNIFICANTLY lower and transfer speed to the xbox is much, much higher so I've got my hopes up a bit.

Edit 2: Sweeet, it worked! 1TB drive is working flawlessly now. Thanks guys! =)
promannen

Post by promannen »

I now have a 1tb drive in my xbox , but having some problem with it , sometimes it starts up flawless but sometimes it gives me error 07 so i screw up the xbox and checking that the adapter is plugged in correctly and then it works again , so i dont know if its the power that i turn off at night so the mob clock can cause problem because i have removed the capacitor or if the adpater unhook itself with the lid on,

sorry if my english are not topnotch, tired to.

Do someone have a solution how i can tighten the adapter to the hardrive with something so it not moves or unplugges itself with the lid on beacuse i think it gets tight with the lid on and makes pressure to the adapater so it causes error 7 .

my adapter is

http://www.24.se/datortillbehor/datorti ... alsearch=1
goatmilk

Post by goatmilk »

Anyone here with the 2TB HDD has any issue with the in-game reset feature? Everytime I do an IGR it gives me an error 7. Using the power button to turn on/off the xbox is a bit of a hassle and the booting process takes around 30 seconds each time. My set up is this:

- Adapter is Kingwin SATA to IDE Bridge Board ADP-06
- HDD is a Seagate NAS one, it's got a red label.
- 80 pin IDE cable
- The modchip is an Xecuter 2.6, not sure which BIOS but the bootup screen has the purple "EVOX" on the upper left corner.

Is there a work around for this issue?
jezj

Post by jezj »

promannen wrote:I now have a 1tb drive in my xbox , but having some problem with it , sometimes it starts up flawless but sometimes it gives me error 07 so i screw up the xbox and checking that the adapter is plugged in correctly and then it works again , so i dont know if its the power that i turn off at night so the mob clock can cause problem because i have removed the capacitor or if the adpater unhook itself with the lid on,

sorry if my english are not topnotch, tired to.

Do someone have a solution how i can tighten the adapter to the hardrive with something so it not moves or unplugges itself with the lid on beacuse i think it gets tight with the lid on and makes pressure to the adapater so it causes error 7 .

my adapter is

http://www.24.se/datortillbehor/datorti ... alsearch=1
Hi, I just use a bit of neoprene strip cut to size to fit under the IDE connector.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/neoprene-rubber ... 0089FJ5WC/
promannen

Post by promannen »

http://www.24.se/datortillbehor/datorti ... alsearch=1[/quote]

Hi, I just use a bit of neoprene strip cut to size to fit under the IDE connector.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/neoprene-rubber ... 0089FJ5WC/[/quote]

Do you think you can post an pic how you installed that, was it between the adapter and the harddrive?
promannen

Post by promannen »

So strange that my xbox are giving me error 07 while not being used for a while. To fix this i have to unpluged the video cable or power and try to boot evertime, and then it loads up , when it works it works flawless.