SATA Adaptor Compatibility thread

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
bigkidoz

Re: SATA Adaptor Compatibility thread

Post by bigkidoz »

bigkidoz wrote:I just bought a pair of these so will see how they go, almost identical to others i have used so should be ok.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331073390468 ... 1497.l2649
Just tested and they work well, ebay seller is "amigaonly " - under $3 each with free postage ;)
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
Yatti420

Post by Yatti420 »

bigkidoz wrote:
bigkidoz wrote:I just bought a pair of these so will see how they go, almost identical to others i have used so should be ok.

Just tested and they work well, ebay seller is "amigaonly " - under $3 each with free postage ;)
Those look identical to what I was trying..what HDD did you use? Does it have the master slave jumper?
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Yatti420 wrote:
bigkidoz wrote:

Those look identical to what I was trying..what HDD did you use? Does it have the master slave jumper?
Seagate 1.5TB, it has a jumper and i had it set to master i think - writing is small. I will try without a jumper and see how it goes, will also try in a slim without dvd.
Yatti420

Post by Yatti420 »

So the sata adaptor has a jumper? Are you using for original Xbox!?
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

Yatti420 wrote:So the sata adaptor has a jumper? Are you using for original Xbox!?
Um yeah, only original xbox talk here.
allahandro

Post by allahandro »

Psyko Chewbacca, the WD red version is not a good choice for an xbox drive, they are designed to work in a nas raid style, they don't handle error correction properly when used as a single drive. In a raid setup they can allow some errors because there is more than one drive in the array to compensate for errors, but if there is no other drive when errors happen the data is lost. Red drives won't attempt to recover a bad sector form more than 7 seconds whereas a normal hard drive would. I've heard of people using red drives for their os without trouble, so you might get lucky. Of course the longer the drive is in there the greater the chance for bad sectors and more errors.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Is there a wiki that lists compatible SATA to IDE adapters and compatible 1TB/2TB drives?
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

XC-3730C wrote:Is there a wiki that lists compatible SATA to IDE adapters and compatible 1TB/2TB drives?
You'll find more up to date info here.
diamond-optic

Post by diamond-optic »

I dont feel like opening my xbox to take a picture of the actual adaptor but heres pics of the box it came in.. I dont see a brand or anything on the box but its a pretty generic adaptor that Ive had sitting around for probably 10+ years and havent used since I had a computer with only IDE connections anyway. Remembered that I had it one day and decided to try it out in my xbox.

Using it with a Seagate 7200.10 750gb (ST3750640AS) that Ive had laying around for a long time with nothing on it. Using Chimp 2.6 it cloned my nearly full stock 8gb xbox hdd in about 10 minutes. Jumper set to slave for cloning, switched to master after that. Only issue I recall running into was that the xbox would not boot from the new hdd right away. Narrowed that problem down to being the stock ata cable, as using an 80 wire ata cable allowed it to boot right up no problem (I tried several cables and only the 80 wire ones worked).

After formatting, it reported a 691GB F: partition.

Front: http://avamods.com/public/xbox/IMAG0418.jpg
Back: http://avamods.com/public/xbox/IMAG0419.jpg
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

I have the SATA to IDE adapter as seen in the second post on this thread. I tried it with 3 different SATA drives (two 500gb drives and a 2 TB drive). For whatever reason, not only do the drives seem to not work on my XBOX, but now the drives are not able to be reformatted on my Windows 7 x86 PC. Anyone know why?

Oh, and my XBOX is TSOP flashed.
asbo

Post by asbo »

XC-3730C wrote: For whatever reason, not only do the drives seem to not work on my XBOX, but now the drives are not able to be reformatted on my Windows 7 x86 PC. Anyone know why?
Windows tends to get a bit grumpy if you have anything but a windows partition on a drive, try right clicking Computer on your start menu, then Manage, on the left click Disk Management. From there you can see all your drives and the partitions on them, including linux ones etc. You should be able to delete and then reformat with NTFS for use on your PC, be careful though!

If the drive doesn't show up under Disk Management then its possible the xbox might have locked it?
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

I already did all that. These drives will be displayed as having a RAW format, and cannot be formatted. I don't think they are locked, because they were prepped with a TSOP modded XBOX that I don't have any more. Is it possible if they are locked to unlock them ?
asbo

Post by asbo »

Have you tried GParted on Linux? You could also try EaseUS Partition Master Free, I recently used it to delete a partition and resize another when Windows would not let me.

I'm a bit rusty but I think you're right that they probably weren't locked by a TSOP'd xbox. But if they were locked I think configmagic and evox dash set TEAMASSEMBLY or XBOXSCENE as the master password, that's as well as the eeprom HDD key. If you still have the eeprom file, or have a way to get, you could definitely unlocked them with that. You can use xboxhdm on a PC to unlock them or I think another xbox. However I don't know if there's a way of telling if they are definitely locked. If they're not locked then I don't Know why they can't be formatted.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

you can format any thing under windows with diskpart in vista and above if you get I/O errors the disk is locked and if you boot windows with them plugged in ant it takes for ever they are locked.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

I don't have the original xbox that I tried to format them with. I tried GParted, EaseUs, and disk part (as well as several other PC tools), but nothing works.
Rising_Threat

Post by Rising_Threat »

Somewhat related, has anyone tried using a 2.5" to 3.5" converter and using laptop hard drives instead of standard 3.5" desktop ones? Something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1& ... oCukLw_wcB

Laptop HDDs seem to be easier to come by on the used market. I pick them up for modding consoles as a service and for console sales. So used is my market.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

I'd like to see if these do work on an xbox. Ebay has em pretty cheap.
asbo

Post by asbo »

yes they work as well as 1.8" ZIF hard drives and adapters. Just remember the hard drive needs to be lockable if you're using a softmod.
Picture of the 1.8" HDD and adapter from my micro xbox
Dan Dar3

Post by Dan Dar3 »

That's a interesting idea alright. One other thing is laptop HDDs tend to be somewhat slower than desktop drives, although you could probably get 7200rpm 2.5" HDDs with good cache size for better performance. Putting them in a 2.5" to 3.5" metal bracket / adapter would secure them in place and allow for proper cooling. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-to-3-5-SSD- ... 3ce5c9c9df
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Does anyone know it is possible to unlock (if the drive is locked) an XBOX HDD (I have 3 SATA drives can't reformat that may have been locked on a Softmodded XBOX I know longer have using Chimp) even if I don't have the eeprom?