SATA Adaptor Compatibility thread

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Mikeosoft

SATA Adaptor Compatibility thread

Post by Mikeosoft »

OK I've been ordering dealextreme sata adaptors and had no problems, until today. I looked and all my 3 left are version 1.0 and don't work. So what are you guys using that work.

I figured we can make a compatibility thread:

NON-WORKING:
DealExtreme v.1.0(NEED TO SPECIFY 3.0/3.1 revision when ordering) --> http://dx.com/p/sata-to-ide-hard-disk-m ... card-12537

WORKING:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-PATA- ... 2c63c69fbb
Last edited by Mikeosoft on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
professor_jonny

Re: SATA Adaptor Compatibility thread

Post by professor_jonny »

WORKING

This is what I have allways used and I have never had one that does not work with any drive (except for an early hitachi model) with any setup I have tried so far.

To note this hitachi drive worked if it was powered from an external source so I guess it just took too long to spin up before the xbox threw an error.
on some drives it will not boot if you dont use the team uix shortcut program to create your shortcut to the dash.

If you use the xbmc shortcut tool with the little ini file sometimes you get non boots and or no f or g drive in xbmc I believe this is becuse one patches the in game reset to point to the app directly instead of the shortcut.

It is often called "SATA to IDE adapter converter for enclosure" in auction sites.
85436247_full.jpg
Mikeosoft

Post by Mikeosoft »

Hey just an update! I got dealextreme customer service aware of what they did, they are mailing me 3 replacement units, should be here in 45+ days :geek: oh well at least they are rectifying the situation.

Also since there was no way to wait that long i decided to try a closer quicker solution. I purchased this unit with 2 day shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-PATA- ... 2c63c69fbb

I believe this is the same adaptor professor was talking about. It came yesterday and after installing it I had some intermittent issues with error 13 and sometimes it would boot but ask me to format the drive, which it would freeze. So I figured it was working fine, just needed a better IDE cable, an 80 wire one like suggested.

Went to local fry's computer store and bought an 80 wire ide cable and BAM Success!

Thanks Professor Jimmy for the help.

I will post back when I receive the dealextreme replacements and comment on if they actually sent me the right revision of boards.
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

As far as i'm aware DX havent had the V3/3.1 adapters in stock for at least a year possibly longer .
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
MrMajst3r

Post by MrMajst3r »

AwesomeNurd

Post by AwesomeNurd »

I have the same MrMajst3r :)
hal9000

Post by hal9000 »

http://www.ebay.es/itm/270786530575?ssP ... 8973238719 cheap & works great with 40 & 80 cable, chip & exploit.
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

I don't get it. I tried a DealExtreme Red Sata-IDE adapter REV1 out of the blue because my REV3.1 died after fidling alot with it to make it work with my new 2TB HDD. To my surprise it worked perfectly, initial formatting and final configuration using XBpartitioner.

Data seems to hold for now. No problem. I'm transfering stuff on it a periodically checking it's readable.

So here it is for me:

WORKING:

DealExtreme Red Sata-IDE adapter REV1 (the one that wasn't supposed to be working)
80 wires ATA cable
2TB WD20EFRX Western Digital Red Hard drive (with legacy sector realign jumper installed, bridging pins 7-8)
X3 modchip with X3 3294 Bios.

Working good here on a 1.2 Xbox
xman

Post by xman »

I don't get it either. Your using a version of that bridge that many members have always had issues with in the past. Maybe it has been improved with later chips. Can you supply a good close up picture of both sides of the adapter by chance. I can post post pics of a 3.0 and 3.1 and then we can confirm if this is the case. 2Tb Western Digital Sata HDDs are also know to not work or at best, take a very long time to boot, sometimes. I will say I only ever tried WD Green 2TB HDDs with DX 3.1 adapters myself and never had any luck with them even booting. Also the 80 cable IDE was also know to cause issues but I always suspected that to be a case of the wiring of the 3.0 or 3.1 DX adapter itself. Maybe they sorted that as well on the newer version 1 DX adapters. Some good pics would be real handy to confirm this.
psyko_chewbacca

Sorry for the delay, I just wanted to finish modding my Xbox and get this thing over with. It's working great. Boot is a little long (about 15-20 seconds) but R/W speed seems good. I transfered alot of stuff from various sources over FTP for a period of over 24 hours without shutting down the Xbox.

The HDD is unbelievably quiet and cool. It does not vibrate much (no audible sound anyway) and I get good speed even from partitions to partitions.

Here are the pics I took of the SATA adapter, the HDD and the IDE cable:

Chipset : JM20330

So to sum up:

1.2/1.3 Xbox
Xecuter 3CE modchip + X3 3294 VGA patched BIOS
DealExtreme Red SATA-IDE adapter REV1.0
80 pins ATA-100 (or 133) custom crimped for Xbox
Western Digital RED 2TB HDD (WD20EFRX)

Everything works like a charm.

A little slow boot for now but I haven't tried it now that it got more stuff on it.
xman

Post by xman »

Good to see she's running well. You also mention all the good things that come with running large new design Sata HDDs in Xboxes such as quite HDD operation as well as cooler temperatures. Your slow boot times, now that you have a fair bit of data on the HDD, may well be the fact you are using an Xecuter 3CE modchip + X3 3294 VGA patched BIOS and may well be the reason your setup is actually working. I have always found X3s no matter what the bios to be a slow booting chip. I personally use only Alladins in such Sata HDD setups and M8 bioses edited like this one excluding the "No DVD" and the 512kb size this one is.
Bios Screenshot.JPG
Here's some pics of the DX sata to IDE adapter Rev. 3.0 and 3.1
Maybe all the bad posts to DX regarding these Rev. 1 adapters not being suitable for Xboxes forced them to redesign the adapters and in turn made them suitable for not only the Xbox but also the 80 wire IDE cable. We can only hope aye. Also a lot of members have PMed me regarding the F drive not always appearing even though the machine has booted successfully, ( only boots up successfully if the booting app isn't located on the F Drive by the way and if it is , the machine fails to pass the splash screen), F drive is there in the filemanager but shows up as 0kb in size. I have managed to replicate this error on my 1TB sata machine occasionally but it only does it when I have the internet cable disconnected. Seems the internet connection has something to do with giving vital time required for the HDD to come fully online on my setups anyway. You may want to consider this if you actually have bootup issues in the future.
psyko_chewbacca

After reviewing what was transfered, I don't have that much data on the Drive.

C: is almost full as I put some emulators on it.

There's about 2GB left E: because of XBMC and a huge Library Database, emulators and various apps.

F: contains about 120GB of emulator's sutff (lots of small files... that's why it took a long time to transfer)

G: contains about 25GB of Xbox games.

So maybe I have not even 150GB used up on the whole HDD. Not that much if you ask me. However I am not done transfering stuff. I still have a lot of Xbox games I want to rip as was as PSX's.

By the way I have a question regarding this.

I'm currently using FlashFXP to transfer from a Linux machine (running in WINE). Do you think I can use Fillezilla paired with XBMC as the server to transfer my stuff. I've always relied on FlashFXP as I did run into trouble once on twice with Fillezilla where they would kinda "corrupt" my files. For example the xbe executable wasn't recognized as a valid XBE after using Filezilla where Flash FXP transfered the whole thing just fine.

Can I use Filezilla without risking damagind de files? What could have caused this?

EDIT : I have bought another adapter on ebay that was referenced in this thread. Once I get it I will try to test which one is faster/more reliable. Do you think that removing the jumper forcing the Drive to be Master and go into Cable Select mode could improve boot time?
Xphazer

Post by Xphazer »

I recommend using FilleZilla.
You probably had trouble with FilleZilla because you where transfering stuff in ASCII mode (vs binary).

Edit> Settings> Transfers> "Maximum simultaneous transfert" = 1
And:
Edit> Settings> Transfers> File Types> "Default transfer type" = Binary
This way i can guarantee you you wont have any trouble.

You can also have a look at this: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewt ... =14&t=1012
Less proprietary stuff as possible, and less wine as possible! ;)
xman

Post by xman »

Keep it at cable select also. Seeing as though you are using an X3 modchip, why not give the bios I use a go. Not the one I posted but an M8 bios and then see if that improves your boot times. May as well use the X3 modchip for the only real thing I could see good with them other than being able to drive LCD displays. That being able to test different bioses back to back. As for data just to fill up the Xbox HDD, just FTP anything onto the HDD from your P.C. even if the Xbox can't play it, who cares. You just want to fill it up to test with. I often backup P.C, stuff on an Xbox HDD. Not as stupid as it sounds seeing as I have had far more P.C.s die on me than Xboxes and even if the Xbox with the HDD was to die, I don't ever lock Xbox HDDs so I could just remove the HDD and put it straight in another one and boot it straight up. My machines are all chipped and this won't work if it were softmodded just in case you or others aren't aware of that and even if you only have one Xbox and it were to die, you could remove your X3 modchip, insert it in another machine and providing your HDD isn't locked, drop it straight in that modded machine and your away again.
Bah

Post by Bah »

Posted in another thread, but probably better here:

Xbox is booting into XBMC reliably with no modifications to the boot order, only a few seconds slower than with the stock HDD. :)

HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 (Made in Thailand)
BIOS: M8 (not M8+) from slayers 2.7, modchip is a muppetx

Working adaptor:
http://imgur.com/iPFLZWw, bought from here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270786530575 ... 1497.l2649 (the same seller has relisted them, now $4.50). Jumper removed.

Non-Working Adaptors (both would prevent the xbox from booting the cd/dvd, giving a flashing LED and one of a few different dash related error numbers):
-Dealextreme revision 1.0: http://dx.com/p/sata-to-ide-hard-disk-m ... card-12537
-A different type sold on ebay (without the 2 large capacitors): http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290393203018 ... 1497.l2649

Things tested with the 2 non working adaptors, all to no avail:
-2 different chipped xboxes, 2 of each adaptor, with all the variables below on each:
-All jumper positions on the adaptors
-Original 40 pin and 2 different ata133 80 pin IDE cables (all confirmed working with stock HDD)
-M8+ and M8 normal bios
-Slayers 2.7 on cd and dvd, AID
-Powering the adaptor with an external supply to let it boot before powering on the xbox
-Booting with optical drive open (someone suggested this may delay boot process)
psyko_chewbacca

xman wrote:Keep it at cable select also. Seeing as though you are using an X3 modchip, why not give the bios I use a go. Not the one I posted but an M8 bios and then see if that improves your boot times. May as well use the X3 modchip for the only real thing I could see good with them other than being able to drive LCD displays. That being able to test different bioses back to back. As for data just to fill up the Xbox HDD, just FTP anything onto the HDD from your P.C. even if the Xbox can't play it, who cares. You just want to fill it up to test with. I often backup P.C, stuff on an Xbox HDD. Not as stupid as it sounds seeing as I have had far more P.C.s die on me than Xboxes and even if the Xbox with the HDD was to die, I don't ever lock Xbox HDDs so I could just remove the HDD and put it straight in another one and boot it straight up. My machines are all chipped and this won't work if it were softmodded just in case you or others aren't aware of that and even if you only have one Xbox and it were to die, you could remove your X3 modchip, insert it in another machine and providing your HDD isn't locked, drop it straight in that modded machine and your away again.

Thanks for the tips on the Bios.

Evox M8 cut down the boot time by around 2 seconds compared to X3. It's not much and on top of that M8 does not support 128MB RAM... So no go for Evox M8 Bios...

I got a new SATA adapter today, I will test it to see if it's doing better.

Anyway I'll stop filling the thread with posts that aren't about compatible adapters...
blighty

Post by blighty »

Hi Fellas, Can anyone please confirm what error code an xbox will usually give when using a sata adapter with no hdd connected to it?

Mine is producing an error 9 with or without the hdd connected & i know that my adapter works It's just that i have hardwired the adapter to a 360 hdd connector in the hope to use standard 360 hdd's

Have had a massive doubt that this would work mainly because i have never seen it done before.

Thanks for the help :D

Edit: with the 360 hdd unplugged & a bare sata drive plugged straight into the sata adapter it still produces the error 9 so i'm going to undo & re solder all the connections

Edit2: unsoldered all the connections and it still produces error 9 with no hdd attached but now hangs forever after the flubber screen & never shows the bios logo with a hdd attached.

I think i might have broken the adapter and now i will have to wait until i get another 1 to try again.
Good job these adapters are cheap :/
Aussieold

Post by Aussieold »

G'day guys I really need a hand I have the sabret adaptor and a segate 2tb 7200rpm hdd hooked them up to two of my xboxes one soft modded one chipped and it comes up with error 16 tried the slayers disc and the Hexen one Burnt with img burn at 4x with no luck won't even boot to the disc any ideas would be great
xman

Post by xman »

Aussieold wrote:G'day guys I really need a hand I have the sabret adaptor and a segate 2tb 7200rpm hdd hooked them up to two of my xboxes one soft modded one chipped and it comes up with error 16 tried the slayers disc and the Hexen one Burnt with img burn at 4x with no luck won't even boot to the disc any ideas would be great
Goodaye Aussieold and welcome to the forum sir. Couple of things to try like testing to see you DVDrive is actually reading your burnt disc. Simply put the old HDD back in and see if it boots the disc will test this nicely for you. If that does work I'd say your adapter is the issue. Also expect the bootup of the disc to actually take anything up to 1 minute to boot especially if your using Hexen. If your disc is an issue I'd try another type of disc. My Slayers collection is made up of a CD/RW , A DVD+ and also a DVD-. That way it always works on all brands of DVDrives ever installed providing of coarse the laser isn't dead in the drive itself in which case nothing is ever going to read however in saying that, I have only ever had two DVDrives in this state as most are recoverable enough by simply cleaning the lens of the laser in the drive and this is easiest done by opening the drive and using a cotton bud or "tipex" dipped in metho as we call it out here and give the lens a clean through the open drive opening and then allowing it to dry, about a minute and retesting it. Let us now how you go doing this and then we'll proceed further. If worse comes to worse, you being and Aussie as I am and post here being relatively cheap, I can build a HDD for you if need be that you can simply drop straight in and you have a 2TB that way ready to go.