SATA Adaptor Compatibility thread

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
Xphazer

Re: SATA Adaptor Compatibility thread

Post by Xphazer »

Previous message merged here and thread sticked. :)
hal9000

Post by hal9000 »

scroeffie

Re: IDE - Sata Adapter!

Post by scroeffie »

janders wrote:Have any of You guys tried this one on the Xbox?
http://dx.com/p/jm20330-2-5-3-5-sata-to ... ack-241466

i have orderd the same one want alsow to know if it work still waiting for it to arive it looks wel build

http://dx.com/p/jm20330-2-5-3-5-sata-to ... ack-241466

ABS
40-pin IDE interface
Adapter 2.5" / 3.5" SATA HDD into standard 3.5" 40-pin IDE interface
Chipset: JM20330; Ideal for driver, burner with 2.5" / 3.5" SATA interface.
Packing List

1 x SATA to IDE Adapter card

Dimensions: 3.90 in x 0.83 in x 0.63 in (9.9 cm x 2.1 cm x 1.6 cm)
Weight: 0.53 oz (15 g)
Attachments
fgf.jpg
scroeffie

sata to ide

Post by scroeffie »

just wanted to say i orderd this one and it work installed 2 tb with succes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111254959252?ss ... 1497.l2648
Dom DXecutioner

Re: sata to ide

Post by Dom DXecutioner »

What HDD model are you using?
VanZan

Post by VanZan »

I'm gonna order two of the ones linked by Hal9000 on DX above! Please someone shout out if they're not reliable though! :)
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

DealExtreme Clone? v1.0 works (has two resistors missing)

Here is the adapter in question. (the top images is the 3.0/1 board, its wrong, the boards are v1.0)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221177624110? ... 1439.l2649

Update:
Adapter works 100%

2 modes of operation.

Remove DVD drive instant boot.

Keep DVD drive connected 15 second boot.

Only works with 80 wire IDE.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
robcott

Post by robcott »

While I haven't done extensive testing just yet, the following adapter has worked for me using the WD5000AAKX (500GB) HDD:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/390654094231 ... 1439.l2649

Initially, I couldn't get anything using the standard 40 wire cable. I then switched to an 80 wire cable, the drive was detected and formatted, then prepared using AID and installing evoX. I then tested cold booting to the HDD and it worked fine, booting in around 15-20 seconds.

Due to the IDE cable length, I could not physically put the drive in place, so I reversed the cable. This meant that the blue connector is now in the HDD, and the black connector in the mobo. Operation/booting appears to be unaffected by this change, but I can now put the HDD in place and put the (Xbox) cover back on.

EDIT: Xbox 1.6 Duox 2 GS M8 BIOS I timed a boot and from pressing the power button it was 42 seconds to get to evoX.
jims5150

Post by jims5150 »

I have many different types of adapters, and have found that with even the ones that everyone says are not compatible,they actually do work.
I kept getting an error whenever hard drive was hooked up to xbox power.
I simply reversed the ide cable, hard drive first then dvd drive. getting it to reach is another matter. You can either move the middle connector further along the ribbon cable, mod the hard drive cradle or best of all use a sata extender cable.
It works nicely.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

I had a play with an xbox that issuies booting with a sata hdd if i did not place the top on the xbox.

I tried a non working adaptor wrapped it in paper then in tin foil and to my supprize it then worked :-)

I believe some are not up to sitting above the power supply and get effected in some way.

I don't know if there are others out there that are a bit iffy to boot or fail to boot some times this may be of benifit?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Since DealExtreme v.1.0 SATA to IDE adapters are so easy to get, I made a diagram to fix them so they work with the Xbox.

Update: updated the diagram, removed Alt point since it disables the DVD drive lol (kinda useless if you need it)

Extremely simple fix :-)
Last edited by Rocky5 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
mindgames

Post by mindgames »

Rocky5 wrote:Since DealExtreme v.1.0 SATA to IDE adapters are so easy to get, I made a diagram to fix them so they work with the Xbox.
Just wondering what exactly does that modification do? How did you know to connect those points?

Why are some people able to get that adapter working without the mod?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

mindgames wrote:
Rocky5 wrote:Since DealExtreme v.1.0 SATA to IDE adapters are so easy to get, I made a diagram to fix them so they work with the Xbox.
Just wondering what exactly does that modification do? How did you know to connect those points?

Why are some people able to get that adapter working without the mod?
First question;
I done it by accident lol I seen someone else on here (page1) had one that worked, but his had two resistors & mine never (101, 103) so I had none of those so I just though what if I bridge them, that never worked & then I bridged the wrong part & it worked.

I bought two more & found if you do the yellow line it works, aswell as the green line. I assume it just grounds the points, either way it works :-)

Second question;
I assume it due to some having the 101 & 103 restisters in that section.

Also you need a 80wire IDE for it to function at all.

If you remove the DVD drive you get instant bootup, with the drive connected you have to wait 15/20 seconds.
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

Just want to update.

I purchased this one, the one i received looks like this. (the image used on ebay is wrong)

Image Image

Here is the thing, its the best one I have purchased & I have bought quite a few.

Pros:
  1. Instant Boot
  2. Instant Boot with DVD Connected
  3. Supports over 500GB Drives (LB48 Support)
  4. PRICE! £3.45
Cons:
  1. Large, if using, in the original HDD caddy don't worry. (what I mean link)
XBMC4Kids Mod

PSN ID = JCRocky5
Yatti420

Post by Yatti420 »

I purchased from here http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-5-3-5-Drive-SA ... 4ab2ca59e1

Wasn't able to get this adapter running.. I will try again in the future however as I believe I had bad jumper settings with original xbox drive... Anybody try this one? I know it fits perfectly.. No caddy modding.. I have one of the ata-166 (yellow) upgrade cables.. The standard config cables that llama use to sell.

Edit: of things to note the JMicron/JM20330 is Serial ATA 1.0a Specification compliant and only supports 1.5 Gbps.

Good read for everyone with a JM20330 - http://www.jmicron.com/PDF/JM20330/JM20330.pdf

and to confirm do all sata >> ide boards require jumpers (master/slave) ??
clay.r.08

Post by clay.r.08 »

captainsensation wrote:
Mikeosoft wrote:Hey just an update! I got dealextreme customer service aware of what they did, they are mailing me 3 replacement units, should be here in 45+ days :geek: oh well at least they are rectifying the situation.

Also since there was no way to wait that long i decided to try a closer quicker solution. I purchased this unit with 2 day shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-PATA- ... 2c63c69fbb

I believe this is the same adaptor professor was talking about. It came yesterday and after installing it I had some intermittent issues with error 13 and sometimes it would boot but ask me to format the drive, which it would freeze. So I figured it was working fine, just needed a better IDE cable, an 80 wire one like suggested.

Went to local fry's computer store and bought an 80 wire ide cable and BAM Success!

Thanks Professor Jimmy for the help.

I will post back when I receive the dealextreme replacements and comment on if they actually sent me the right revision of boards.
sadly i ordered the sabrient adapter BEFORE i saw your post. :x I had problems that folks didnt respond to in a thread i made recently. I could clone to the drive in chimp but all partitions were blank in slayers and i would get a scrambled error 13 message. Turns out once i got the 80 wire ide cable as you suggested i was able to see my partitions and things are working. Thanks. :D

P.S. I hope more of you get those cables as they are highly recommended. Now if i could find a way to get all of my stuff from my old drive to my new drive without having to FTP the old stuff to a pc and then to a pc to a new drive. Any suggestions?

I have the exact same adapter I bought it 1 year ago because I read on this site it was a adapter that I should try

I never got it to work but I also did not know anything about original xbox modding a year ago

I am wanting to do a few Xboxes and I do not want to have to buy 80 pin replacement cables, I was going to mess with the adapter again but looks like you already did the testing for me

unless different hard drive name brands might make a difference

I am not sure if I should mess with this adapter or just buy another
clay.r.08

Re: sata to ide

Post by clay.r.08 »

scroeffie wrote:just wanted to say i orderd this one and it work installed 2 tb with succes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111254959252?ss ... 1497.l2648

yes looks exactly like that but that one has white plastic for ide power and mine has black plastic but everything else is exactly the same

I guess I should mess with it again if there is a chance I do not need special cables

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I looked on ebay for JM20330 but I think those are for 2.5, and I am more interested in 3.5 hard drives

anyways I am gonna try 1 of these for $5.50 because it is shipped from usa where I live
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pata-IDE-To-Sat ... 58a1fde29c

if they work for me than I might buy for $2.78 from china
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KDQ23-PATA-IDE- ... 4d15830784
bigkidoz

Post by bigkidoz »

I just bought a pair of these so will see how they go, almost identical to others i have used so should be ok.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331073390468 ... 1497.l2649
Sent from my android coz apple is for pie.
DavPow

Post by DavPow »

This adapter worked great after changing my cable to a 80 wire one. Using the stock cable, I was getting corrupted fonts on HeXEn & AID (Slayer's worked fine, UnleashX problem?) and it wouldn't boot from the HDD even if the install worked.
Xlink Kai: DavPow
V1.0, Crystal case, OpenXenium + iND BIOS 5003, 1TB HDD (WD WD10EZEX), XBMC4Xbox 3.5.3, XBMC4Gamers
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

Anyone try this adapter with a 2tb hdd?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0089F7KW ... ot_redir=1

I got one from ebay, and while it works with a 500gb SATA hdd, a 2TB SATA HDD was recognizable by my XBOX using the latest HeXEn disc, but I was not successful creating F: and G: partitions no matter what I tried in hbpartition. Now my 2TB drive cannot be formatted in Windows (XP or 7).

I tried to use Chimp with a Softmodded XBOX with that same 2TB drive - the method of swapping the IDE cable from the DVD drive and the SATA drive, but as soon as I connected the IDE cable to my SATA HDD + IDE adapter, the XBOX would shut off.