Hard modded xbox only boots to stock dash

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
realgd64

Hard modded xbox only boots to stock dash

Post by realgd64 »

Hi,

I've just bought a hard modded xbox original from ebay. When I tried it out, it just had the stock dash. I don't know what mod chip is in it but there are dip switches at the front for Chip Enable on/off - Flash Protect on/off - Bank 1/2. I have tried each possible combination of switches with no success. Where you go into the memory to show saved data, there are a few things such as xbmc and unleashx data. I can only copy or delete this data. I have tried burning copies of Slayers ISO's to DVD+RW and to CD-R of which the xbox would not recognise. I used Power2go which came with my PC and have burnt many ISO's before without problem and also tried PowerISO to burn. I have also tried various ways of powering on the xbox such as short/long pressing the power button, even short/long pressing eject button and holding various buttons on xbox controller while powering on. I would suspect that a hard mod chip should automatically kick in with the correct dip switch setting?
I don't have the time to open it up just yet, I will do so later on to have a look at the chip when I am able. I tried FTP route but then only tutorials I could find were with xbmc or unleashx already installed and running which I can't do.

I have a few original xbox games that I tried on it and they play, so it can read discs. It's just like a regular xbox. The seller description was that it had been formatted with Slayers CD and had xbmc as default. Can a hard chip lose its mod?? Could there be a loose connection somewhere?

Am I know stuck with an xbox that can only be an unmodded stock xbox? I don't fancy trying to replace a mod chip. Can it be softmodded?

If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.
hawsey

Re: Hard modded xbox only boots to stock dash

Post by hawsey »

If you can , try a copy game or a disc like HeXen / Slayers or Rocky 5 s from the forum here and see if it boots .
It would be an idea to lift the lid and make sure the clock capacitor is removed ( unless it's a 1.6 ) look on you tube as they leak bad and kill Xboxes :-(

Then you can have a look at the chip too .
Softmod will be possible toi so don't worry about that .

Report back soon
8-)

Sent from my Vodafone_SU6 using Tapatalk
realgd64

Post by realgd64 »

Thanks for reply,

I've opened the case and the mod chip appears to be xecutor 2.6 Has a red board with a big white arrow pointing "edge of the case". I lifted it out of the pins and underneath was printed "X2.6". It has a blue led which comes on the board when powered on. There is a slight flex on the mainboard right next to pins 1 and 2 so not entirely sure if it is enough to break a connection, but front dip switches come up a yellowish green which I think it means ok? Otherwise they would turn red?
There isn't a 5v connection attached to the chip.

Not sure about the clock capacitor but I have to re-enter the time and date after it has been disconnected from power. So it may already have been removed.

I'll try burning one of those discs you mentioned.

Cheers
Attachments
mod chip
mod chip
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Your Xbox looks in good Nick :-) nice and clean .
The capacitor has Aerogel written on the side usually and needs removed if not already :-)
Good luck

Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

The D0 wire has dislodged, put it back in its hole and the chip will boot.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
realgd64

Post by realgd64 »

Hi, I will look into that D0 wire. I've been trying to find install instructions for this chip. I've opened it up again and the pin array can be lifted straight out of the socket. Shouldn't it be soldered on? I tried holding the pins down to the board while powering on but still doing same. Should I lift out the mainboard and check underneath?

Thanks
realgd64

Post by realgd64 »

Thanks guys,

It was exactly the D0 wire which had come loose. It must have popped out in transit. It's the looped wire in the photo I posted. My eyesight is going so took me a little while to get in the hole :lol:

I also removed the clock capacitor,there had been some leakage around it. I got it off and cleaned around it. Put everything back in place and powered on and it booted into xbmc :D

Next thing to do is upgrade the hard drive......
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Great news :-)
That capacitor would have spewed it's evil mess all over and the Xbox would have died shortly after .
Rocky5 will be your man for upgrades .
Basically you will burn Rocky5s disc make sure it boots up , switch off your box swap the drive , boot up to the disc and select the right options .
Help available on here and video tutorials on YouTube etc :-) happy modding ....