OG Xbox Slim DVD Drive

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
GoTeamScotch

OG Xbox Slim DVD Drive

Post by GoTeamScotch »

Does anyone have any info or can link a thread with info on putting a slim DVD drive in an original Xbox? I've read that regular slim IDE DVD drives will work, just as any PC DVD drive will, but only specific drives will cooperate with the Xbox in terms of eject / drive-ready signals and such. I understand that Xbox games will no longer read in PC drives. I rarely ever use drives for Xbox disc reading so the ability to read burned discs is much more valuable to me. I also know that certain models of slim drives can have their firmware flashed to allow retail game discs to be read, but that's less important.

Any tips or useful info would be greatly appreciated. It seems 15 years later, this information is less accessible than it used to be. X-S forums' search feature is awful now days and I can't dig up much info here.

---
btw, I have asked this before here in '13, but I never got a conclusive answer on drive signals.
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
professor_jonny

Re: OG Xbox Slim DVD Drive

Post by professor_jonny »

you can use it but you need to simulate the tray and eject signals to work nicely, also mo more Xbox games (I think games read outside to inside or something and a special format and requires special firmware)

There is a few compatible pc models you can flash to make Xbox compatible with a few wiring mods but none that I know of are the slim variant.

I remember people doing such a mod and leaving the dvd pcb inside from the original drive to mimic the tray signals over the dvd connector.
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca »

I've used a laptop IDE DVD-RW drive in one of my Xbox in the past. It was a LG but I don't have the model number on hands right now. I can look it up if you want.

Anyway, it was on a 1.6b console and if I recall well, I had a custom Evox M8+ bios with the "Disable DVD drive check" option enabled. It was reading fine but of course, I couldn't use the Xbox Eject button. I had to use the button on the DVD drive itself. I think the only issue is that XBMC4Xbox would show a "Tray Open" status when there was no disc in the drive. No weird status error when there was a recognized disc in.

I did not have to leave a stock DVD drive PCB hooked to simulate anything.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

psyko_chewbacca wrote:I've used a laptop IDE DVD-RW drive in one of my Xbox in the past. It was a LG but I don't have the model number on hands right now. I can look it up if you want.

Anyway, it was on a 1.6b console and if I recall well, I had a custom Evox M8+ bios with the "Disable DVD drive check" option enabled. It was reading fine but of course, I couldn't use the Xbox Eject button. I had to use the button on the DVD drive itself. I think the only issue is that XBMC4Xbox would show a "Tray Open" status when there was no disc in the drive. No weird status error when there was a recognized disc in.

Oh really? That's actually really good to know. I didn't think that enabling the no-dvd option would still allow discs to be read.
Using the slim drive's physical eject button is no problem. Not having an eject button would actually be a good thing on the case I'm using so that's good. What happens if you try to eject the drive from XBMC?
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

GoTeamScotch wrote:
psyko_chewbacca wrote:I've used a laptop IDE DVD-RW drive in one of my Xbox in the past. It was a LG but I don't have the model number on hands right now. I can look it up if you want.

Oh really? That's actually really good to know. I didn't think that enabling the no-dvd option would still allow discs to be read.
Using the slim drive's physical eject button is no problem. Not having an eject button would actually be a good thing on the case I'm using so that's good. What happens if you try to eject the drive from XBMC?
Nothing would happen as the wires needed aren't connected to the slim drive.

You could wire the eject button directly to the drive & or piggy back the dvd connector eject signal to the eject button on the drive.
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
HenryEnnis

Post by HenryEnnis »

Hey I know this is a stretch but would you happen to know what drive you used?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk