Build HDD/softmod HDD

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
SquirlKiller

Build HDD/softmod HDD

Post by SquirlKiller »

I got a new 2tb driveto put in my box, as well as a SATA to IDE adapter (as claimed). Already dumped the eeprom from my xbox and made a disc with ndure and the stock C. I plug the HDD to my old PC with only IDE ports via the adapter and the PC doesnt recognize it (its on MASTER IDE port). I go to bios and it says nothing for the master ide, though my adapter most likely confirms a connection, because when i plug it in, the LED tat it has on when not connected turns off.

Is there a way to softmod/build the HDD without the use of an IDE type thing? Or through the xbox itself?

Also posted this on xbs
AZImmortal

Re: Build HDD/softmod HDD

Post by AZImmortal »

If XboxHDM recognizes SATA drives (I have no idea if it does as I've never used it), then you can just hook it up to a SATA port on your computer instead of using the adapter.
professor_jonny

Post by professor_jonny »

xbox hdm does not support large hdd's but you can use it to build the disk then format f/g once in the xbox.

if you need to use a sata to ide adaptor in your pc make it the only device on that ide cable if you only have one ide cable use the usb version of xbox hdm.
ldotsfan

Post by ldotsfan »

On the xbox itself, chimp2618 or HeXEn disc's lxhdm.
Ldotsfan :)
SquirlKiller

Post by SquirlKiller »

XboxHDM doesn support 2TB HDDs? Damn

So my best bet is to use Hexen right? (or chimp)
professor_jonny

you can use it to build the softmod etc just not to set up the extended f and g partitions.
once you get the mod running pop it in the xbox and fire up xbpartitioner and format f and g and job done.
arnesr

Post by arnesr »

Just make sure you format with the correct cluster size, or you will corrupt/lose data.

16k up to 250Gb
32k 250Gb-500Gb
64k 500Gb-1Tb

Also, You have to format any partitions larger than 256GB using XBPartitioner 1.1 or later.
SquirlKiller

Post by SquirlKiller »

I used a different (and better) adapter and my PC recognized it, now to build it.

For xbpartitioner, what do i set the cluster size to? You only mention 1TB drive and i have 2TB
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

You have to use two partitions of 64k clusters, xbox doesn't support above that. This will give you an F and G drive of 900-odd GB each.
xman

Post by xman »

Your 2Tb should look like this on XbPartitioner once it is clustered correctly with about 927Gb on both your F and G drives.

Simply hit the partition size select button and XbPartitioner will go through the most logical partition sizes. Once you see the selection having equal amounts on each drive choose the correct cluster size. Make sure down the bottom of the screen it says...
Free space..........0 of **********MB..............Will use 64KB clusters...
Press Start write table and format....................Press Back for help.......

This will start the cluster size resizing and wait till it finishes...
Once done, it should look like the pic I linked to showing 927GB on each drive.
It is then wise to use EvoXDash to actually check it has done the job correctly by putting a 10kb file in both F and G drive and verify it actually is clustered using 64kb clusters.
SquirlKiller

Post by SquirlKiller »

Ran into a problem. Error 13. I made the ndure files using my kernel (5101) and got the 5960 dash C from a file share service. Used xboxhdm to build from scratch, rebuild C, then ran the ndure script and "install[ed] ndure files only". Rebooted, set a bios setting to say the HDD isnt installed (my bios freezes the drive when locking/unlocking) and locked the drive with my eeprom.bin and put it in the xbox and came up with error 13.

I then repeated the prcocess to make sure it wasnt a fault of mine and i got the C from HeXen and locked it again and still error 13. What now? I go to the thread on this forum that contains error codes and the solutions and looked for it. it said insert an xbox game to "update" the dash, so i popped in Halo 2 and nothing happened, took afew seconds then just started the games intro movie. I took out the game to see if the error persisted and it said error 7. I rebooted the xbox and came up with error 13 again

Read all of my post

Any suggestions
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

If you can cold boot Hexen, just use that to fix your softmod.
professor_jonny

grab the c drive files of hexen or slayers and copy them onto a folder then copy the softmod stuff over top then re soft mod it.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

You said the Halo intro movie started, that's a good thing. You need to load up the game and there should be an option in there somewhere about updating the dash. Think it's in the xbox live section somewhere.
SquirlKiller

Post by SquirlKiller »

whufclee: ill try that, but to get in the xbox live section, doesnt xbox live have to actually work? (and be able to sign in)

professor johnny: i dont understand, re-softmod it again?
SquirlKiller

Post by SquirlKiller »

odd, my xbox doesnt ant to boot games anymore -_- error 21... is it because im using a 2tb HDD that i get error 13? I even wiped the fatx partition table, rebuilt from scratch and rebuilt the C drive without installing modded files. Still doesnt even want to boot original MS Dash
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

In all honesty it's not something I've ever had to do but I think the dash is actually on the disk, it checks your dash version is new enough and if it isn't it will install the one on the disk. So to answer your question, no I don't think you need to physically access xbox live - well lets hope not anyway!
SquirlKiller

Post by SquirlKiller »

I booted it up with it unplugged for about 8 hours to see if the clock could be set and it couldn't. Got error 16 (cant set clock becauseof no dash to be found), is XboxHDM installing the dash incorrectly? Or is my drive messed up?
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

The dash is definitely not installed correctly if you got error 16, but I suspect that it's not XboxHDM's fault since it's pretty well-tested by now. Maybe you can try following these directions and use Xplorer360 to populate your hard drive. You'll still have to unlock/lock the hard drive with XboxHDM.
whufclee

Post by whufclee »

Clock can't be set is a real pain in the arse, once that goes things get tricky. Hate to say it but you may have to consider a modchip or eeprom reader :(

Hopefully I'm wrong but I've been trying to help someone out with that problem who lives in NY, xboxhdm isn't working for him and he can't boot games now he's left it too long (clock gets reset after a few hours, if you can sort it out straight away with Halo2 you should be ok but once the clock has gone it's not good). I can't confirm xboxhdm definitely doesn't work as the guy I've been trying to help is a few thousand miles away - I can only take his word for it but I did talk him through it blow by blow and it still wasn't working for him.