HDD Upgrade - Best Current Software?

Discussion about Modding the XBOX, including hardware and software hacks.
GoTeamScotch

HDD Upgrade - Best Current Software?

Post by GoTeamScotch »

What is everyone using for hard drive upgrades in 2016? xbpartitioner? Xboxhdm? Chimp?

I'm about to do a 500GB drive and this one is now experiencing data loss as it's getting full so must be a wrong cluster size. Are 64k clusters only for certain size partitions or will that be applicable if I split F and G in half for remaining space? It won't get near the 999GB limit/bug that xbpartitioner has.

With this I used a SATA adapter to an old PC with IDE support and ran Xboxhdm 1.9 via CD. Something must have went wrong along the way. Any tips?
Remember kids, always zero-ize your HDD key!
fxmech

Re: HDD Upgrade - Best Current Software?

Post by fxmech »

Use XBPartitioner 1.3 to segment your partitions. You should be able to just resize them and split them again to make sure the cluster size and everything is actually changed.

Just a warning, as you hopefully are aware, all data will be lost.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

So is 64k clusters always the way to go or does it need to be different depending on the size of the F and G partitions?

Edit - looks like Xbpartitioner 1.3 wants me to use 32k clusters. So I think I'm going to use one 450GB F partition instead just for tidiness.

Thanks for the info.
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

• Cluster sizes supported;
    16 KB - 1MB to 256GB partitions
    32 KB - 257GB up to 512GB partitions
    64 KB - 513GB up to 1TB partitions
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
fxmech

Post by fxmech »

It is a give and take. The larger the cluster size, the larger the size of the smallest file will be.

But it is a no-brainer to just use the largest drive possible. :)
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

I formatted the drive using 32k clusters with a single ~450GB F drive and it started corrupting again. I copied ~220GB of files to it today for a few hours and when I came back the FTP transfer was failing as it was iterating over each file to send.

Log (it does this for any file transfer):

Code: Select all

Command:	STOR /F/Emulators/AdamX_v6/media/artwork/cart/BC II - Grog's Revenge.png
Response:	550 Filename invalid
Error:	Critical file transfer error
Rebooted, tried a different FTP app on the Xbox and nothing. Restarted filezilla & tried Windows' built-in FTP and neither were working. There's a few pieces of evidence that make me certain it's corrupted. Existing data seems fine but nothing new can be added. Any suggestions?
Rocky5

Post by Rocky5 »

What type of drive are you using?

Sata drives, require a 80 wire IDE, or you get issues.

IDE drive just work.

Make sure the cluster size was set by XBP, it doesn't always set it when the format is done.

Or try Chimp 261812 to format your extra partitions, this 100% sets the cluster size or check the cluster sizes.
(Option 4 > Option 1 for checking cluster sizes or Option 4 > Option 2 for formatting extra partitions)
Download Xbox Softmodding Tool & Extras Disc
XBMC4Kids Mod

Xbox Gamertag = Connxtion
PSN ID = JCRocky5
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

This is the drive I'm using. I am using an 80-wire IDE cable.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try Chimp out for formatting. What's a good method for checking cluster sizes for when it's done? Xbpartioner seems to show what it *will* use to format partitions but I need to know what size it currently is.

Edit - Reformatted with Chimp and after that everything seemed to work.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C »

@GoTeamScotch,

How does the Seagate Desktop HDD ST500DM002 Hybrid drive compare to a 500gb IDE or SATA drive?

I always use the HeXEn disc, which works awesome for HDD setups (softmod, TSOP, chip, etc).

I set up my XBOX systems with 5ppgv drives, and partition F: is formatted for 16kb clusters (so I can play XMugen), and G: Partition for 32kb clusters.
GoTeamScotch

Post by GoTeamScotch »

XC-3730C wrote:@GoTeamScotch,

How does the Seagate Desktop HDD ST500DM002 Hybrid drive compare to a 500gb IDE or SATA drive?

I always use the HeXEn disc, which works awesome for HDD setups (softmod, TSOP, chip, etc).

I set up my XBOX systems with 5ppgv drives, and partition F: is formatted for 16kb clusters (so I can play XMugen), and G: Partition for 32kb clusters.
I haven't used that model drive before so I can't speak to it's reliability or compatibility. I know that there's some folks who advise against hybrid drives. Any speed increases offered by the drive's SSD and SATA capabilities would be underutilized by the Xbox's slower IDE bottleneck. If you have the option, go for a standard IDE or SATA drive.